It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

xmindjailx HB User
Question Really need answers- anyone else taking antidepressants????

So I'm 19 and i'm taking zoloft right now and I'm having a mini-withdrawal thing going on.

I've been bad with taking my medicine. I normally take my dosage in the morning but I forgot to take it today until now (7pm). I'm feeling really anxious and quick-tempered right now. Like I locked myself in my room because my mom was really ******* me off and she wasn't really doing anything. Also, I'm freaking out cause I hate feeling reliant on drugs. I hate feeling like I'll be like this forever. Having to take anti-depressants cause I can't just be happy on my god damn own. I also feel it's potentially dangerous. What if I drink too much one night and I'm dead? What if there's something we don't know about meds that could really mess us up?

Just freaking out. can anyone supply me with some legitimate facts about anti-depressants concerning safety????
And maybe some personal experience about missing a dosage so I know what to expect next time????
And if anyone here has a history of anti-depressants, maybe some insight as to how long they've been on them or generally how long they've needed them???

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User
Re: Really need answers- anyone else taking antidepressants????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmindjailx View Post
So I'm 19 and i'm taking zoloft right now and I'm having a mini-withdrawal thing going on.

I've been bad with taking my medicine. I normally take my dosage in the morning but I forgot to take it today until now (7pm). I'm feeling really anxious and quick-tempered right now. Like I locked myself in my room because my mom was really ******* me off and she wasn't really doing anything. Also, I'm freaking out cause I hate feeling reliant on drugs. I hate feeling like I'll be like this forever. Having to take anti-depressants cause I can't just be happy on my god damn own. I also feel it's potentially dangerous. What if I drink too much one night and I'm dead? What if there's something we don't know about meds that could really mess us up?

Just freaking out. can anyone supply me with some legitimate facts about anti-depressants concerning safety????
And maybe some personal experience about missing a dosage so I know what to expect next time????
And if anyone here has a history of anti-depressants, maybe some insight as to how long they've been on them or generally how long they've needed them???

Thanks so much!
I have been on anti depressants for 10 years. sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I am most happy and productive when they do. My experience in missing doses is not good. In the past but certainly not now, I would go off my meds when i felt better. But in a couple of months be right back on them and be glad. Concerning safety of each med your on you need to ask your doctor as each med given is given in accordance with what you have said to the doctor about your condition. Perhaps you should speak with a therapist about your diagnosis and try to sort out your feelings about your condition. on another note. I was once like you, I didn't want to feel reliante and that was the reason I would go off of them. After 5 times of me going off meds and the trauma I went through to get back healthy again I made a promise to myself that I would never go off my medication again and I haven't. I wish you good health and a long happy life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
(male)

Aloe612 HB User

I have resisted the temptation to get onto the drugs because it just masks the depression and I worry that it might fool me into thinking I'm better. Plus i dont want to get addicted..its interesting to hear that there are withdrawal symptoms if you miss taking them.....

Having not really suffered with depression until my mid 30's and only actually realising that was what it was last year I am still hoping I can actually get rid of it at some point....had a decent 3 months around december to feb, but been gradually slipping back since... if I start on the antidepressents am i waving goodbye to the chance of getting rid of this ?

Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I hope I can ease your mind about some of the facts and myths about anti-depression medications.

Fact...Rather than "mask" anything, antidepressants operate by making a tiny elevation of a certain chemical our brain needs to operate in the healthiest and most balanced way... There are many reasons our brains may be a little short of the needed chemical, many of which are short termed and easy to overcome. The antidepressant simply gives you a tiny boost of the important chemical you need.

That leads to fact 2...The best way for medications to work is to be evenly spaced out tiny dosages, keeping your level of medication most even, day and night. Skipping a dose of being off for a few hours is not the ideal way to take the medication...it is still better than keeping yourself from the benefits of the medication.

Myth...You do not get addicted to this kind of medication. You simply need to slowly start it, and slowly stop taking it, thats all. Like we said before, each dose is just a tiny bit of chemical, and you do not want to force your brain to adjust to a sudden lack of the chemical.

Life these days are filled with many stressful and challenging events, and there are times when all of us need a little help to get through.There are so many people (including myself) who am thankful to have a tiny pill to take to make my life more enjoyable.

There is no shame in always accessing our lives, and making adjustments along the way. If you think these medications could be helpful to you, by all means take them with a positive attitude, and expect the best!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
(male)

Aloe612 HB User

Thanks for that Writeleft.

I suppose what scares me is the thought of needing them everyday for the rest of my life.. I still want to believe this is something I can fix

A female family member is bi polar, she was at her worst when taking anti depressants and whilst she eventually stopped taking them and has to an extent got her life back, she simply has learn't to live with her illness.

I might be being stubborn, but I hate this like its a thing...and I'm angry that my life is being ruled by it, so in a way i would also resent that it had forced me to have to take pills...I am having probably reached my lowest point ever in the last week planning to go and see my doctor this week and discuss the option, so I am not ruling it out...total desperation has forced me to consider it

Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Hey xmindjailx,

Im also 19 and all tho im not on prozac i have missed some of my meds before and have had the same systems. The problem most people say about prozac is the withdrawals can be serve. which just means you cant miss a med or go cold turkey on it you have to lower the dosage level. If your worried about the med your taking it could be worth doing alittle research to find out more information about it.

Prozac doesn't react with alcohol so i wouldnt worry about drinking and taking the med. But why would you want to drink so much that you run the risk of causing cardiac arrest because your brain is being poisoned? Alcohol can make depression worse aswell.

Anti-depressed (ssri) ones effect a chemical within the brain called serotonin which is believed to control how happy or sad we feel. Most People with depression have low serotonin levels. So what prozac and the other ssri do is slowly raise the amount with the brain.

Hope this was of some help,
Feel free to post/message me if you have other questions

Dan.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
(female)

saadman1 HB User

Hi,
I'm been on Zoloft on and off for the past 4 years ever since I had my daughter and suffered post-partum depression. After starting Zoloft then and feeling wonderful after a few months, I took mysef off. That backfired and within 4 months, the depression came back tenfold worse! I then went back on for about 6 months and stopped it when I realized I was pregnant. So i stopped it again, but within 4 months, again went through depression so I went back on.
Just about 4 months ago, I tapered myself off from 75 to 50 in about a month, and then down to 25 in another month, before completely stopping it. A few days ago, saw a movie, which triggered thoughts of hurting my children again, and now i'm not sure what to do. I have the Zoloft sitting in my medicine cabinet, haven't touched it in 2 months, but am thinking of going back on just so i can enjoy my life as a mom and a wife. I cannot afford to be depressed at this point because of the needs of my family and my business. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I hope I can ease your mind about some of the facts and myths about anti-depression medications.

Fact...Rather than "mask" anything, antidepressants operate by making a tiny elevation of a certain chemical our brain needs to operate in the healthiest and most balanced way... There are many reasons our brains may be a little short of the needed chemical, many of which are short termed and easy to overcome. The antidepressant simply gives you a tiny boost of the important chemical you need.

That leads to fact 2...The best way for medications to work is to be evenly spaced out tiny dosages, keeping your level of medication most even, day and night. Skipping a dose of being off for a few hours is not the ideal way to take the medication...it is still better than keeping yourself from the benefits of the medication.

Myth...You do not get addicted to this kind of medication. You simply need to slowly start it, and slowly stop taking it, thats all. Like we said before, each dose is just a tiny bit of chemical, and you do not want to force your brain to adjust to a sudden lack of the chemical.

Life these days are filled with many stressful and challenging events, and there are times when all of us need a little help to get through.There are so many people (including myself) who am thankful to have a tiny pill to take to make my life more enjoyable.

There is no shame in always accessing our lives, and making adjustments along the way. If you think these medications could be helpful to you, by all means take them with a positive attitude, and expect the best!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

jasgorsky HB User

Sometimes the need for antidepressants is temporary, you may decide they help you enough so you can get to the root of the cause, move on, and then come off.

Unfortunately,I took me 10 years to decide this wasn't temporary and I tried a different approach.

Closed Thread