It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2001, 02:03 PM   #1

SoLost HB User
Do pets help depression??

Just wondering what everyone thinks. Do pets help with depression? I have cats and a doberman (she keeps me safe). I feel like the cats seem to know when I'm unhappy. They hang around more, purr in my face, and lay on my lap. It's almost like they know...even when "people" don't.

Old 01-17-2001, 02:37 PM   #2

whiplash HB User
Re: Do pets help depression??

I think so. My Golden Retriever has pulled me through many a rough spot. So nice to have a non-judgmental pal. Plus he is a good icebreaker when I walk him in the park. Met someone special that way. Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2001, 04:36 PM   #3

Beebs HB User

My little girl dog is very sensitive to my feelings and when I feel bad she comforts me. On the other hand, my little boy dog is so happy all the time that I can't help but feel good just looking at him!!

Old 01-17-2001, 07:21 PM   #4
Inactive

K.Bailey HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoLost:
<B>Just wondering what everyone thinks. Do pets help with depression? I have cats and a doberman (she keeps me safe). I feel like the cats seem to know when I'm unhappy. They hang around more, purr in my face, and lay on my lap. It's almost like they know...even when "people" don't.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
SoLost, pets are definitely good for people. I have a cat and he can seem to tell when I'm in an agitated state. He watches me, must think I'm acting sort of strange or uncomfortable. They sense alot about you and I bet they worry about your health, which has been proven. Do your cats and doberman get along or are they separated. Separated I hope, but some can get along just fine. Take care. Kevin Bailey

Old 01-17-2001, 08:25 PM   #5
Unregistered

I've got a calico cat, a chow, and a border collie/black bear mix (she's about 150 pounds)! One night when I was crying, my cat licked the tears on my cheek! My dogs and cat are very loving and do seem to be sensitive. I think pets make a big difference.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:49 AM   #6

utahkid HB User

Pets do help. I have seen studies done with horses that show a lowering of blood pressure when petting a horse.

Old 01-18-2001, 01:18 PM   #7

SoLost HB User

k.Bailey: Actually, everyone gets along pretty good...most of the time. The doberman (Ice) thinks she's a cat...she was raised with four of them, go figure. Ice chases the cats and wants to play but the cats want nothing to do with her. Ice is just like a lap dog anyway. She's always near me and sleeps on my legs at night.

A cats purr is like a kind word; it makes you feel comforted and loved. :0)

Old 01-19-2001, 10:04 AM   #8

bsmith725 HB User

I couldn't imagine being without my pets (two cats and a dog). I have a 3 1/2 year old yellow Labrador Retriever. She is so happy all the time, it's hard to feel blue. Having a dog, especially a large dog, forces you outside for playtime and walks, and social interaction with other people. My two cats are fairly independent, but always seem to find my lap when I need them.

Old 01-19-2001, 10:36 AM   #9

Maci HB User

Absolutely! I have two male cats, one 6 and one 2 years old. They show their love for me everyday in little ways....waking me up with a kiss on the cheek or nose every morning (of course, the want to be fed too!), hiding between the curtains while I am in the shower, following me around wherever I go and purring while I am talking to them. Not to mention, they both sleep with me everynight. I live alone but never FEEL alone with my "boys" around. And...I ALWAYS have someone to talk to.

Old 01-19-2001, 06:32 PM   #10

Trisha2 HB User

Pets help a lot! I have 7 cats (in the hairy house, believe it or not) and even though it takes tons of work to keep the house livable I literally wouldn't know what to do without them. Most are very independent, but they do sense when I'm down, and they're always there for me. Just petting them lifts my spirits, and then I go clean up another hairball! Ha!

Closed Thread