It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2000, 06:24 AM   #1

Lindsay HB User
St John's Wort/Social Anxiety/Depression/Accutane

Hi, I'm 19 and I have never had a problem with depression before. I have been off the drug accutane for 3 weeks now, which is a strong drug for acne, and known to cause depression in some people. I have felt better while off of it, but I still feel depressed. Although my skin has cleared up, I still have blotchy red marked skin and it makes me very depressed because I feel like I will never get to stop hiding behind makeup and I feel like I am missing out on alot of things and that I will never just have a "normal" face. Has anyone else been on accutane and had the depression go away once the drug gets out of your system (which takes about a month)? Anyway, this is not the acne message board, so I'll get to the point.
Does St John's Wort really work? I've been taking it and it kind of seems like it helps, but I'm not sure. Is there a particular kind of St John's Wort that is the best to take? (there seems to be so many different types of it, like with other things in it) It says to take 2 pills 3 times a day. Can I take more than this? How much can I take? Also, has anyone else felt worse when they don't take it or don't take enough? Like yesterday, I only took 2 pills instead of 6 and after awhile I got really irritable and moody. Can you become dependent on it?
Is there anything else I can take without going to a doctor? I don't have insurance, but the main reason I don't want to go to the doctor is because I don't want my parents to know how depressed I am. I don't want them to have to worry about it.
Does anyone have social anxiety disorder? Is there anything that can be taken over the counter for it? I think I may have an extremely mild case of it. I have always been shy, I just have a hard time carrying on a conversation alot of times, it's like I can never think of anything to say. I'm always very aware of what I think people are thinking about me. I don't have the desire to try to get to know anyone most of the time. Does this sound like social anxiety disorder? I feel unmotivated and I just don't know when something good is going to happen for me. It seems like everyone else's life is so perfect and they don't even appreciate or realize what they have.
Sorry this is so rambly and so many different questions! If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2000, 06:59 AM   #2

imnotnutz HB User
Re: St John's Wort/Social Anxiety/Depression/Accutane

Lindsay, check this month's Consumer Reports. They have an excellant article called "Mood Asprin" that covers all aspects
of St.John's Wart, Kava, and Sam-e. Also they
analyzed the popular brands of each and determined dosage and cost per dose. This should give you all the answers you seek.

Old 11-22-2000, 07:18 AM   #3

imnotnutz HB User

Lindsay, I answered the first part of your
post but not your other concerns. First I am
not a doctor, but very interested in depression because I was diagnosted clinically depressed and currently on Celexa.
This has helped me tremenously, but I hate the
fact that my brain is chemically controlled.
I know at the age of 19 it is a partically
hard time of your life. As you grow older you
will learn that everybody has some type of problem with their body or mind, but some people are better than others in disguising it. Just a note of warning; if you go to a doctor they will probably prescribe Paxil for social anxiety. Note the ads on TV!
If you read previous postings, you will note
that this causes weight gain in the patient
that can cause futher distress. If you can control your mood with Herbs, this is the way to go. Just be carefull as these can be as powerful as prescribed medications.
.........Good luck..........................

Old 01-07-2001, 10:27 PM   #4

dizzed HB User

Hi I can totally relate to what you are going throug I am 20 and have been going through the same stuff.Like your acne problem I had a issue with my weight.even though I lost weight and am thin I am still so self conscious.I have social anxeity and I am taking celaxa.I did not want to tell my parents but I had to because the only way to get better is with going to a doctor and getting the right medicine and therapy.Please do it before it gets out of control.Your parents will not worry if they know you want help.They obviosly love you and I wish you success.Who knows I am not a Doctor so I can't diagnose you so I could be wrong but your story hit hom for me!You are not alone we are like the same age and I am sure there are more of us out there.

Old 03-16-2001, 09:17 AM   #5

adt84 HB User

Where can I find the Consumer Reports? and the Mood Asprin article?

As for SJW - if it works for you more is not neccessarily better - the right dose for you is best - any more than that wont help. There are to my knowledge anybody suffering bad effects from taking too much SJW except for maybe diareah or the like. Yes it can affect the efficiency of some medications - so be aware of this in the future.

Closed Thread