It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2000, 06:16 PM   #1

Mel-Dawn HB User
Don't know where to turn

Hi; I'm just postig here because I'm hoping that ya'll will be able to give me some advice. I've had the majority of the symptoms of depression for about a year now. I went to talk to my parents about it (i'm 16), and they just told me that I'm just saying these things because I want attention. I don't know, I guess they are ashamed of me or they feel its their fault. So decided to take another path, and talk to my school counselor. Well, the day before I had my appt. to talk to her, I had a conversatin with one of my older friends. She had similar issues last year, and when she went to talk to her counselor (which is the same as mine), the counselor thought she was suicidal, which she isn't. Consequently, they put her in a mental institution for 2 months on suicide watch. Well, after hearing her horrow story, who would want to go talk to her counselor? Definately not me!!! So here I am. I don't know where to turn to next. Most of my closest friends know about my situation, and are helping me the best they can, but there is only so much that they can do. They are there to listen and to support, but sometimes that just isn't enough. So I'm open to anything at this point. Any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2000, 01:51 PM   #2

flipper HB User
Re: Don't know where to turn

Hi
I haven't yet posted my story but I'll let you know alitle about it maybe it can help you. When I was 16 I had the thoughts of suicide and even tried a couple times. But something always stopped me. I'm now 32 and finally getting help I've had alot of things happen to me in those years. I went to a new doctor and he put me on Prozac and told me to go to a shrink. My place of work will pay for so many sessions but it's with the people they choose I'm going to a councler that is located in a church and that seems to be helping me the most. I'm having to relive my life since i was about 11. and it's very painful. but I'm getting better. I did say something to my parents when i was about 16 - 17 and all they could say is are you on drugs. Not much help.

Hang in there it does get better and their are people who really care.

If you'd like to talk some more my email is ddflipperdd@yahoo.com

I'd bee glad to talk to you maybe the things that I have experience in my life can help you. But no matter what I have found out that it is sometimes easier to talk to someone you don't really know.

Take care and god bless my prayers are with you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2000, 08:22 PM   #3

TrickyDick HB User

Since your from Texas, you can call your
local Texas MHMR (Mental Health and Mental
Retardation center) The have people that
care and that will want to help you. The
only problem is that your 2 years from being
old enough to do it on your own. But if
you talk to them they may be able to give
you some help with your parents.
One other thing...You seem very smart and
perceptive. Life can be hard and when your
young it can seem like it is too hard and that no one understands or cares. It is not
easy to stand up and say...HEY..I got a
problem here. You should be proud of your-
self for having the guts and smarts to know
when you need some help..and be able to try
and get it.
Hang tough, it will be better, just be as
strong as you can.

Old 12-04-2000, 07:28 AM   #4

redeemed57 HB User

I agree with the other 2 posts. You do seem to be very aware of yourself and that's great. Don't turn to drugs, because even though they may "feel" good; they do get you hooked!! Can you look up in the yellow pages under counseling and maybe call some places and just ask if they could refer you to something for teens. Also churches are known for having outreaches for teens. Also you could even call the Union Gospel Mission or the Salvation Army and see if they have referrals. Someone surely could lead you to another and so on. God Bless and best wishes.

Closed Thread