It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2000, 11:38 PM   #1

Princess HB User
My boyfriend's depression...

My boyfriend and I share a lot of the same problems and therefore we are not very good for each other.

Just tonight he mentioned suicide and when I questioned him about it he said he was only kidding and that if it weren't for his family he would be dead by now, but that he would never do that to them. I don't know how to handle this because while I do believe he isn't going to really kill himself, just saying it out loud means he has thought about it and now I'm scared for him. Can anyone give me advice on what to say to him? I talked to him a little about it and reminded him that if he were to kill himself it would not only be incredibly painful to his family and loved ones, but that his problems would be left for his family to clean up. He then said that if he killed himself he would go to hell. I really don't think he's in immediate danger of hurting himself, but I know you can't take anything like this lightly. He's on medication and it is helping him, but I'm still afraid for him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2000, 09:18 AM   #2

Princess HB User
Re: My boyfriend's depression...

Rick, he is currently on celexa and nuerontin. He's been n the meds for about 3-4 weeks and while I have definitely noticed some improvement in his mood and his overall drive to even get out of bed in the morning, he says that he doesn't feel that the celexa is helping and wants to try something different. He is going through some really serious crap right now (serious financial woes and problems with the law) and feels like he can't get himself out of trouble this time.

I would love for him to see a therapist, but he can't afford it and probably wouldn't go if he could because he's stubborn. As far as seeing a physician, maybe I should encourage him to go back to the Doctor to try a different anti-depressant, but if he does, the suicide issue won't come up. He won't ever say that to anybody but me I have a feeling.

Has he been on the celexa long enough to give up and try another or should he give it another week or so?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2000, 09:13 PM   #3

TrickyDick HB User
Re: My boyfriend's depression...

You can't cure him of his depression or his
addiction. You can't fix it, You can't make
him do anything.
You can take care of yourself and let him
take care of himself. Make him take responsibility for himself and you take
responsibility for yourself. You might
consider going to AL-ANON as well as AA meetings. He should go also.
By the way...most states have free state
and federal funded mental health care.

Closed Thread