It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2001, 06:21 PM   #1

Marilee HB User
Xanax Phobic Doctors ?

Hi,

Has anyone else had problems with p-docs that wont deal with anxiety probs with Xanax?

The new doctor my HMO sent me to prescribed Celexa for depression, but I cant sleep and I am to nervous.

My previous doctor prescribed Xanax, whenI had problems like these.

Is there any solution, besides finding another p-doc?

Old 01-13-2001, 07:22 AM   #2
Inactive

joy HB User
Re: Xanax Phobic Doctors ?

The docs don't like to prescribe it since long term it could be addicting, according to them. I take .5 Xanax before bedtime so I can sleep. The AD's sometimes cause insomnia and you need something for sleep. The first time I went to a pdoc I asked him about Xanax [I had never taken it] and he would not give it to me. I changed Pdocs and got a prescription. If you don't misuse it, you should be able to have it. I would change doctors and tell your doc that's the reason why; you need a small amount for anxiety or sleep. Unless he comes up with it, or another answer, just go elsewhere. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2001, 07:30 AM   #3

SoLost HB User

A doc I seen a few months ago perscribed me Effexor 75mg and Xanax 3x .5 each night. He told me it would help me sleep. Long story short...I suffered horrible symptoms and I don't take either! I never really needed Xanax anyway as I rarely suffer from anxiety and when I was on Effexor I could have slept 24hrs a day!

Old 01-13-2001, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive

KLynn HB User

Yeah - some docs are weird. Mine, however, is xanax happy!
I was on .5 lat year, then up to .5 twice a day...now I take 2MG at bedtime!
Your primary care doc should be able to prescribe if you tell him. either that or switch pdocs - a pdoc who is afraid of giving out a med is making a blanket assumption on all his patients rather then treating them individually.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:21 PM   #5

Julieanne HB User

I've taken Xanax for years for anxiety. I started taking 3 .5mg/day then went to 4,5 then 6 .5mg/day after my Dad died and a boyfriend dropped me. A friend told me to take Klonopin instead of Xanax because Xanax stays in your system only about 5 hrs, whereas Klonopin stays in your system twice as long. I just started taking Klonopin because a few hours after I took Xanax I would get anxious again.
I've heard other bad things about Xanax-just watch that you don't over do it.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2001, 09:41 PM   #6

doublez5 HB User

Hey Julieanna how does the klonopin compare to the xanax?how are the side effects?

Old 02-11-2001, 06:37 PM   #7

panzee HB User

Hi..

I take Remeron and Ativan now, but, I did take Klonopin for several months because it does stay in your system longer and because of my bad panic attacks my Dr thought it would be a better med for me.. The odd thing about Klonopin for me was it made me very sad.. So, I went back to Ativan.. I've never heard anyone else say this about Klonopin, but, I thought I'd add my 2 cents about it.. I hope you don't mind..

panzee..

Old 02-11-2001, 06:39 PM   #8

kyle4267 HB User

Take Remeron and Ativan like Panzee says. I do to and it works for sleep especially.

------------------
as ever
Kyle

Closed Thread