It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2000, 04:25 AM   #1

Catriona HB User
how far is too far?

A very good friend of mine suffers quite badly from depression. He has been on many different types of medication but none seem to help.
I have recently found out that he is addicted to acetaminophen. He said that it is the only thing that he knows that will keep him sane. That because I dont suffer from depression like he does, I would not understand the lengths people go to when they are at their lowest.
I don't understand. But I would like to. I am trying to understand.
Can anyone tell me what lengths they would go to to stay "sane" and/or if what he is doing could fall under that category?

Old 11-16-2000, 06:35 AM   #2
(female)

Blueeyes HB User
Re: how far is too far?

He's addicted to acetaminophen for his depression and that's the only thing that helps him stay sane?????

I'm not a medical doctor, but this just doesn't sound possible. I mean the acetaminophen helping with depression. One form of acetaminophen is Advil. Are you sure that is what he is taking for depression? It might be helping him "psychologically" to take something everyday. The acetaminophen could be having a placebo effect on him. It's definitely not a known anti-depressant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2000, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive

Jester HB User

Tylenol is acetaminophen, Advil is ibuprophen. I know it is irrelevant, but it is facts. It is possible to be addicted to Tylenol. From what I understand about depression it is a personality trait. Using drugs to treat it is often contributing even more to the problem. CATRIONA - the tylenol is not helping your friend, if your friend goes to a therapist they will most likely give him even stronger drugs. I suggest you do a little research into the effect of excess tylenol in your system, then show this data to your friend. I do know that you can overdose on acetaminophen. It is important that your friend know all of the facts. The drug most likely is just a crutch for him. More of a placebo, because it shouldn't do anything to assist his depression. At least there is no research that proves it.

Another thing that you could do to help him is get some information about depression. Maybe there is some kind of treatment out there that isn't drug related. I am hoping to find one myself, as I have a drug-problem and I believe that I have a mild case of depression. Anyway, from what I understand your friend feels like the world is a terrible place, and that he means nothing. Maybe you can try to up his spirits, make him have a great time, and make him feel great about himself. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 11-16-2000, 10:22 AM   #4

imnotnutz HB User

Acetaminophen can be extremely toxic to the
liver. Especially if mixed with acholol. I have heard of cases where liver transplant have had to be done to save the live of an individual who has overdosed on Tylenol. Warn your friend to be careful.

Old 11-17-2000, 05:39 PM   #5

Hope HB User

People will go to ANY lengths so often to do what they think will keep them sane... whereas it is only destroying them farther. I think it might be connected to an idea that I heard recently--which was completely new to me!-- that we run from depression, we use a million different things to escape it, exhibitionism is the one that I always run to... I am a tester of the limits... but just because we have automatic responses to the depression doesn't mean they are all healthy. Addiction isn't healthy--sanity or no sanity.

Old 11-17-2000, 06:55 PM   #6

Catriona HB User

Thank you very much for your information.
In answer to your question, yes, he is addicted to it as a "placebo". He does not really believe, I dont think, that it is helping him with his depression, he just likes to think it is.
I have done a lot of research on the effects, and know how bad it is for him and what can happen, especially with the doses he takes. I did show this to him but it does not seem to make a difference at all. In fact, he said that he knows what it is doing to his body but he cannot stop.
Now, I know that what he is taking isnt addictive, so my question now is, if he does stop taking this, will he move onto something else because it "helps"??

Old 11-19-2000, 06:23 PM   #7

TrickyDick HB User

It sounds like your friends crutch for depression is a lot cheaper and less dangerous than mine. I have been depressed
Since my divorce in 78 and have developed
a crutch for it (along with an antidepressant) of excessive sexual encounters. Why excessive you say..how can
anyone have too much sex. Well, its like anything else, if it starts to have negative
effects (such as taking too much of your
time and money) it becomes excessive. It
also becomes a habit and can develop into
an obsessive behavior, as in my case.
I am not recommending that your friend change
his crutch or obsession to sex for sure, but
perhaps you could tell him that taking a good
food supplement daily would be better.
He most likely won't listen,a lot of my friends have tried to get me to quit chasing
and having sex with women but they have not
had any luck changing my behavior.

Old 11-20-2000, 08:23 PM   #8

Catriona HB User

Trickydick---

I am sorry to hear that. I don't mean to pry, but you are using protection aren't you!?!

As for my friend...thank you, he is starting to stop taking them. And I believe him, not just because I want to, but because I really do think he is stopping. At first he substituted it with pot, now he is cutting out both...for real.

Thank you very much...

Please take care and keep in touch

Catriona

Old 11-21-2000, 09:36 PM   #9

TrickyDick HB User

Catroina, Nice handle..
Thanks for asking about safe sex. Yes
I have always used a condom, I always use
my own too, that way, I know they are fresh
and have not been subjected to adverse
conditions.
In reguard to your "friend". Unless you
are with him 24 hours a day, even when he
goes to the bathroom, you have no way to
say if he is quiting "for real".
You can choose to believe him,but he can
choose to lie to you also.
I know about addiction and obsession.
You will lie,cheat,steal and sell anything
you or anyone has (including your body).
You can offer him your company, your support
and try and keep him occupied with constructive things. You can also help
him attend meetings/support groups that can
be very constructive and open his eyes and
help him (and you) to cope with life with
out the need for drugs or such.
I went to a few meetings a few years ago.
The were for sexual addiction. It was and
is the only group like it around here.
I found that the people that were there
were too tempting to me and that would have
been destructive to them and me so I stopped
going. I am doing better now, age has something to do with it. I am not out every
night like I used to do for so many years.
But the pull and desire are still there.
Be good to yourself...

Old 11-22-2000, 06:16 PM   #10

Catriona HB User

Trickydick--

About my handle, it is my name, and thank you, I never used to like it.

It is a relief to hear about not only using condoms, but using your own. I am glad. Also, thank you, I never thought about the other persons condom being contaminated, I will always use my own in future.

About my friend...I know that he could be lying. Am I wrong to believe him? I just dont think he is lying, maybe because I dont want to believe he can be....

Old 12-08-2000, 06:31 PM   #11

dreamer HB User

OK my friends, She falled to tell you it is acetaminophen+codeine+caffeine that this person takes. I think I understand this. Let me try to explain: The levels of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters,which regulate our behavior,are controlled by what we eat and think about.Neurotransmitters regulate our behavior and are closely linked to mood.The neurotransmitters mostly commonly associated with mood are dpoamine,serotonin and norepinephrine. When the brain produces serotonin,tension is eased.When the brain produces dopamine,or norepinephine,we tend to think and act more quickly and are more alert. So caffeine raises serotonin levels which in turn,has a effect on his mood.Making him feel not so depressed.Though it is a double edge sword.Caffeine can also cause his depression.We also know that depresion causes brain imbalances, which can cause his drug habit. (: There.

Closed Thread