It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2001, 08:11 PM   #1

Dustind918 HB User
Prozak

I have heard a lot of people take prozak... (sp?) can anyone tell me how they r doing with it or past experiences? I am currently on Welburtin, and Risperdal. I was on neurontin for a while but they took me off. anyones on any of these please tell me how your doing with them.

Old 01-24-2001, 10:08 PM   #2
Inactive

clouds HB User
Re: Prozak

i used to hate it, i sort of likeit in moderation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2001, 04:35 AM   #3

L HB User

I have been on prozac now for 4 years. Started out with 2mgs because I had heard so many awful things about it like you will go pshyco and kill your husband or something. I gradually increased to 20mgs and have never noticed any side effects from it other than it straightened out my chemical imbalance. I do notice that if I try to go off of it my depression comes back after two weeks and I have to go back on it. I would reccommend it to people because I have used other meds before prozac and they just did not work for me. The only way you can get the right combo of meds is to keep your doctor informed and try them. My doctor sent me to a psychologist who was familiar with meds and he evaluated me and made a suggestion to my doctor. It worked for me. If you have side effects or don't like it, you could always change. My sister is on Paxil and she said that that works well for her. good luck<p>[This message has been edited by L (edited 01-25-2001).]

Old 01-25-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
Inactive

younglady HB User

I have been on prozac, paxil, and effexor,(one at a time!) and have found that prozac works best for me. I also chose it because it has been aroung longer and is safe for me to take it I become PG (which I want). I took it throughout my last PG and I believe it KEPT me from killing my husband!!!! It also helped with post partum. ***** for prozac!!

Old 01-25-2001, 11:07 AM   #5

panzee HB User

hi.. i have a very good friend who's been on prozac for over 3 years and she loves it.. she was pretty much house bound until starting it and now she's very social.. so it has drastically changed her life for the wayy better..

i tried prozac but it gave me hives.. and after trying many SSRI's it was discovered i'm allergic to them all.. so, i take remeron now and its a wonder med for me..

good luck with the prozac if you chose to try it..

Old 01-25-2001, 11:43 AM   #6
Inactive

joy HB User

I am on Prozac 3 weeks now and feel good. Most ADs did not work for me including Serzone, Zoloft and Celexa. Paxil worked but I was fearful of weight gain. My friend is on Prozac 11 years, and is up to 60 mg and is fine with no weight gain. It's best to start at 10 mg for a few days before going to 20 mgs. Fortunately, I had no side effects. Good luck if you try it.
Joy

Old 01-25-2001, 02:28 PM   #7

Dustind918 HB User

what are those stories I here about it making people go nuts? (like in the first or second reply) I have heard that it makes some people do crazy things? Whats that all about?

Old 01-25-2001, 04:18 PM   #8

jojo91 HB User

Hi,I have been on prozac now for almost 4 months and i am very pleased with the results.I used to want to just stay inside every day and close the blinds and now i feel if the sun is shining i want to get out!My children are happy about that !I also have read the scary stories that you are talking about but i'ver learned to focus on the positive things prozac is doing for many people out there,and monitor myself carefully to make sure it's not happening to me.Good kuck with it if you decide to try it.

Old 01-25-2001, 08:34 PM   #9

L HB User

I would not put much stock into those stories that I mentioned that it makes you go nuts or something. I found it to do nothing else but make me well. Just like anything else, it was probably someone who did something they shouldn't have and then blamed it on the Prozac so they would not have to go to jail or live up to what they would have done anyway. Plus I am sure that with constant studies chemists have probably perfected the pretty much by now. Why else would so many people be on it and have no problems at all? I am sorry I mentioned it, I was just trying to tell you that I was afraid to take it at first but am now glad I did. It helped me a lot.

Old 01-26-2001, 05:31 AM   #10

abart HB User

i have been on Prozac for over 2 years. It has worked wonders for me. I wish I could say it is perfect for me. Though the major draw back is lack of sex drive, which is not helping my marriage. My Dr. wants me to try Serzone (supposedly no sexual side effects). but I've had such good results (otherwise) from Prozac, i'm afraid to try it.

Old 01-26-2001, 11:30 AM   #11

victoria HB User

Sorry, but I beg to differ about people going "nuts" on Prozac. I know, because I was one of them.

I've been on many different antidepressant, and Prozac was by FAR the worst. It made me feel very violent and enraged. I've posted this before, so y'all might know what I've said. I had the feeling that I had to rip the head off of an animal or a person. I DIDN'T do it of course, but it alarmed me beyond belief. When my cousin started taking it, she said she saw the "light", and decided that she didn't want to be married with kids, and ran away with a strange man. She has scarred her kids forever.

I DO want to say though, that one thing I've learned from this board is that each of us is an individual. When it comes to meds, so many people respond in so many ways. What is great for one, is horrible for another. So, for you that have found success with Prozac - that is truly wonderful. I've learned to take others' stories with a grain of salt, as what works for me will not work for the guy next to me.

Here's to good mental health!

Old 01-26-2001, 09:44 PM   #12

struggling HB User

I would REALLY like to know this same thing. Just how good is Prozac. I just started taking it a week ago, and am only 10 mg so far. I haven't noticed any changes, but again--it's only been a week. I HAVE noticed, however, that I get angrily VERY easy now. I'm not sure if it's from Prozac itself, or the lack of meds I had for a few days (i quit Paxil, and went 5 days without any meds before I started Prozac). I'm hoping the anger subsides and I start feeling better soon. If anyone has some encouragement on that subject, please advise.

Old 01-27-2001, 05:30 AM   #13

abart HB User

It is my understanding that you need to be on prozac for a few weeks before it begins to work. So be patient and then see what happens.

Closed Thread