It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2001, 09:15 AM   #1

Mich HB User
Types of Therapy???

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between psychiatry, psychology, and psychotherapy.

I've been contemplating talking to someone again, and from experience, I found talking to a psychiatrist a waste of time and money. Basically I him for meds, but now I get Prozac from my GYN, who suggested psychotherapy, which I don't know what that is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-16-2001, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

Theresa341 HB User
Re: Types of Therapy???

Why would your GYN prescribe prozac to you? I would think that you would have to see your regular doctor and have a complete exam before prescribing something like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2001, 02:51 PM   #3

Mich HB User

During my annual, we discussed my returning depression. She asked the reason I went off it(I had been under the care of a psych. dr. for a year), and I explained that my husband and I were discussing pregnancy, and I wanted to "clean out". Well, my depression returned with a vegeance, and I felt so bad that I began to feel like pregnancy was not an option for me in my condition.

She explained that she had several expecting patients that were on Prozac, and that she could write me out a prescription. I felt relief that I no longer had to see the psych. dr. since we hardly ever talked much about anything other than how the Prozac made me feel, side effects, and when would I like another appt? He was basically my drug source...period.

Although I'm feeling much better, there are still days I become immobile, lethargic, confused, excessively insecure, have social anxiety, feel goalless, feel hopeless, numb, and still upset and angered about an unhappy childhood.

I have bottled up a lot of anger inside of me, and feel the need to talk to someone. I've held a lot in because I never had a close relationship with either of my parents (they were divorced when I was 8) It was very volatile, and feelings were never properly discussed. I know others have had things a lot worse than I have, so I feel t embarrassed about my feelings. Especially when my father's new wife tells me and my sister(who's also holding in anger) that "you two are in your 30's...time to grow up and get over it!" Logically, she's absolutely right, but emotionally, I wish to God I could make sense of these reoccurring feelings that seem to permeate into every aspect of my life.

I've spent all these years trying to be strong for my younger sister, denying that I had unresolved issues of my own.

I've realized that I need to talk to a professional about it, and was wondering if pyschotherapy was the route to take.

Old 01-16-2001, 04:33 PM   #4
Unregistered

I don't know the technical definitions - but I get counseling/therapy which I guess might be called "psychotherapy" from a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). My psychiatrist mainly monitors the medication and I go to the LCSW for the counseling. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:49 PM   #5

TrickyDick HB User

Hey Mich,
It sounds like you have a headdoc like I had for my first doctor. He was just interested in getting my money and getting me out the door. He knew nothing about med management and his people skills were none existant.
It is good that you have a MD that is willing to help you with your meds, but in my humble opinion you will not "get over it" without therapy from a good headdoc.
There are many "titles" and "degrees" and I guess it makes no difference if it is your aunt susie or the best Doctor in the U.S. if they can help you help yourself get better.
I had to go through 3 psychiatrists, 2 psycholodists and 3 make believe therapists before I latched on to a psychiarist that knew what he was doing and that really cared if I got better or not. He also is an expert at managing meds. Believe it or not, he is retired from his practice of twenty something years and now is working for the state because he said retirement nearly drove him crazy.
There is someone out there that can help you and your sister. It might be hard finding them but they are there. Good luck !
Peace.<p>[This message has been edited by TrickyDick (edited 01-16-2001).]

Old 01-17-2001, 07:54 AM   #6

SoLost HB User

It sounds like you are having a problem that so many have... you go to the doc, they hand you a perscription and send you on your merry way. Your GYN, imho, is not in his/her field of expertise. We wouldn't get a perscription for prenatel vitamins from our psych doc :0)

From my experience, and things may be different here in Canada, a psych doc takes care of the perscriptions solely. He/she will listen to your biological complaints and find the right meds for your condition.

A psychologist is the one you see for the emotional part of your illness. This is where you sit on a comfy couch and talk out your problems. Most psychologists use cognitive therapy, and use tools like EFT and EMDR.

Social workers at councelling centres also take care of the emotional side. I think this is the more relaxed therapy. You go in, talk over your problems...

I went to the emergency room last week because I was tired of being handed perscriptions and sent on my merry way without really helping myself and I met a wonderful doc who refused to give me a perscription until I am thourouly(sp) evaluated by an agency to determine what my needs really are. He made the referal and I am awaiting my evaluation. Too many docs hand out perscriptions for the biology of the problem without considering the emotions. The docs who gave me my perscriptions before didn't even inquire if anyone was taking care of my therapy.

From what you said about your family you have some issues from your childhood to work through. The doc at the emerg room took down some basic info about my family and said he believed my relationship with my mom and dad must be evaluated as it has likely affected my adult life even if I don't know it on the surface.

I think the key is finding a good psych to take care of the meds AND finding a psychologist or social worker to help you cope with your issues.

Closed Thread