It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2001, 04:23 PM   #1

nk HB User
Sleep med that is working great

It took me a long time to find a decent sleep med...the older antidepressants (Elavil, etc.) made me groggy in the daytime on top of the fatigue I already had from depression, Trazodone and Serzone didn't help me fall asleep, but would keep me unconscious for 12 hours straight, and the benzos my psychiatrist tried all got ineffective quickly and the dose had to keep being raised until it got to the max and something else was tried.

I was put Ambien a month ago and it has been a godsend! I haven't had to increase past 10 mg and apparently even though it's a controlled substance it isn't physically addictive like the benzos (this is what I've been told by my doctor and from the medication references.) I get to sleep within a half hour get a decent night's sleep, and have no hangover. The doctor said it can be effective even longterm, preferably not every night, but there is a little room to increase the dose if tolerance ends up occuring.

This almost seems too good to be true, anyone else have experience with this med? I guess something different works with everyone...but it is such a relief to be getting the right amount of sleep without so many side effects! Just wondered if anyone else has had a good (or bad) experience with it.

Old 01-06-2001, 05:26 PM   #2

kimberlylynn HB User
Re: Sleep med that is working great

I LOVE AMBIEN! I would love to kiss whomever invented this wonderful drug. I was given a three month supply, though I'm not addicted, I worship it and use it whenever I am too anxious too sleep. The first couple of days were the most fun, while my body was adjusting to it. Now, Ambien takes a few hours to kick in, but I'll be writing or watching tv and feel my body drifting to another place and I sleep so soundly. Ambien is like a taste of heaven. Everyone with trouble sleeping should consider trying it.
-Kimberlylynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2001, 09:31 AM   #3
Inactive

joy HB User

I do not find Ambien to work well for me> I wake up after 5 hours and can not fall back to sleep. I tried 5 mg; which did not work and then 10 mg which helped fall asleep, but not keep me asleep. I guess everybody is different. I find .5 Xanax works better for me 45 minutes before going to bed. My doc says Xanax is addicting in the long term and prefers me to take Ambien, but I don't think it works well enough for me. Everybody is different. I'm glad Ambien works for you.
Joy

Old 01-13-2001, 12:09 PM   #4

nk HB User

Joyce,
I am just curious, is Xanax the only benzo you have tried for sleep? I know it is very short and fast acting, somewhat like Ativan. I couldn't get a full night's sleep on the Ativan, I would wake up in four hours. I was just wondering if the Xanax worked better for you than other benzo's. I've never been on Xanax.

Nick

Old 01-13-2001, 02:36 PM   #5
Inactive

joy HB User

Xanax is the only one I've tried [generic] .5mg. I wake up sometimes but go right back to sleep. With Ambien I could not go back to sleep at all. I'll stick with .5 Xanax. Ask your doc about it.
Joy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nk:
<B>Joyce,
I am just curious, is Xanax the only benzo you have tried for sleep? I know it is very short and fast acting, somewhat like Ativan. I couldn't get a full night's sleep on the Ativan, I would wake up in four hours. I was just wondering if the Xanax worked better for you than other benzo's. I've never been on Xanax.

Nick</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 01-14-2001, 03:54 AM   #6

Nighthawk HB User

I have taken Ambien and Sonata on different occasions last year. The Sonata had absolutely no effect on me. But the Amebien did. It works quick, it can take full effect within 20 minutes when you first start taking it. I was taking 10mg before bedtime. I would get at least 4 hours of sleep, which is VERY good for me.
Now there are a few drawbacks. First of all, if you've ever had a problem with addiction to narcotics or other pills like that, it can be possible for Ambien to become habit forming if taken for more than two weeks. This probably won't happen with most people. But here is the reason that I had to stop taking it....after a couple of weeks I would need to take 1 1/2 pills (15mg) to have to same affect. What I soon found out was that I would have total memory loss for about 4 to 6 hours after taking it. since after a couple weeks, it will take you longer to fall asleep after taking it, I would still be awake and active. I live with my girlfriend and on several occasions after waking up in the morning she was really ****** at me cause she said I was acting really strange and completely wacko the night before. She told me some of the things that I did and said, and I don't remember any of it!! The last time it happened she almost called 911 to have them take me to the hospital cause she was scared of me!!! Well as soon as I found it that this was caused by the Ambien, I stopped taking it. Now I'm trying herbal medicine. I take Kava Kava or Valerian Root before bedtime. It's not a miracle cure for sleeplessness, but does help your body to relax, and there are no side effects.
So if you are going to continue to take the Ambien, keep in mind that increasing your dose could possibly cause memory loss and wacko beharvior! Mine might be a rare case, as there was nothing in the reading material for Ambien that noted memory loss as a side effect, but just thought that you should know it could occur! Good Luck and take care.

Nighthawk

Old 01-14-2001, 05:27 PM   #7

nk HB User

I've actually heard that mentioned repeatedly (amnesia and strange behavior if one doesn't go to sleep right after taking it,) and only with Ambien (not any other sleep meds.) Apparently the psychological addiction potential can be high because of the euphoria (which is not as common with the benzos,) but the physical dependence potential is low compared to the benzos. Oh well.

Closed Thread