It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2000, 08:42 AM   #1

victoria HB User
What my psychiatrist did to me........

Hi All,

I've not been posting much these days, but I felt a need to post my story about what happened at my psychiatrist's office on Monday......

I went in for a med check. It was the first time I'd been to him in 6 months. I've not been able to leave the house (panic), and I had my husband pick up my prescriptions the last time. It took every nerve in my body to go and actually get to the appointment. When I got there, I was a wreck. I spilled it all to him. The agorophobia, the panic, the depression, etc. I'm 39, and I told him I didn't think at this point that I'd make it to see 40. I'm suicidal often, and I fight it. His reply to me? "Living to 39 isn't so bad, in the old days, hardly anyone got to their 40th birthday". He was arrogant, flippant, and just downright ignorant. I have to mention, that the practice is being sued, and it was his LAST day with them. He couldn't have cared less about the state that I was in. I haven't been sleeping, and he wrote a prescription for Ambien, and maxed my dose of Zoloft to 200 mg a day. I went to fill the Ambien, and the pharmacist wouldn't fill it. Why? Because the jerk had written "Take 1 in the morning", instead of nighttime.

I called the office the next day to get the script straightened out, and they told me that they could page him, but in all honesty, he would not respond to any pages. I asked them "what if I was suicidal, and needed immediate help"? They told me he STILL wouldn't respond. He's gone, and that's all there is to it.

I have been reassigned to a new doc, whom I see in January. Until then, I'm still in depression and insomnia hell. I feel like it was a dream, but this really did happen. Thumbs down to the psychiatric profession....

I hope you all have better doctors than I did. My trust in them is all but gone......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2000, 09:19 AM   #2
Inactive

joy HB User
Re: What my psychiatrist did to me........

You have to hang in there until you get a decent doc, and you will. Don't let one creep turn you into a victim. You should go to a doc that makes you comfortable. If the next one doesn't do that, find another. This is very important for your mental state. You will make it, and you will feel better. It's almost January. I'm also changing docs in January [insurance change]. Never stay with a doc who doesn't have a good rapport with you, even if you have to travel a little further. Best wishes to you in finding the right doctor for you! You will!
Joy

Old 12-22-2000, 11:57 AM   #3

Olivia HB User

Hi Victoria,

That's horrible! I can't believe how awful some of these doctors can be. I hope the
***hole gets his liscense pulled. What a cocky little jerk. How can he get away with something like this? Well I guess karma will get him for sure. I wonder why he's being sued in the first place?

A couple of weeks ago I went to the gyno to see if he could give me something for my perimenopause which is part of my depression. The jerk just kept on insisting that I was ok, that I didn't have pms because my estrogen level was normal. Then I said well how was my progesterone level, he said there was no test for progesterone levels. I know that's a big fat lie because I had one done 4 years ago. I left feeling so exasperated!

I have a psychiatrist that I see for prescribing my meds but then I work in therapy with a very lovely woman psychologist. No offense intended to men but I personally feel more nurtured by a woman. I have a lot of father issues.

Two tylenol pm really knocks me out for the night. Have you tried it? My boyfriend really likes unisom.

Also- Maybe if you called the pharmacist and told him about the horrific experience you just had he would be willing to bend the rules a little. Ask his nurse to call the pharmacist for you and explain the situatiion. It wouldn't hurt to try.

I'm sorry you're so depressed that you're agoraphobic. I get like that when I'm hormonal around ovulation time. It really sucks feeling afraid to leave the house, or answer the door or telephone. It is such a paralyzing feeling. Fear is a very disabling emotion. It's my worst enemy. I fight it everyday. Some days it wins and some days I win.

What kind of meds are you on? It doesn't sound like they're helping that much. How long have you been on them?

I've been on Paxil 20mgs. per day for 4 weeks now and it is really starting to help.
I may have to up the dose to 30mgs. around the pms phase just for an extra boost, providing the doc says it's ok to do that with paxil. Maybe not though because of the withdrawl symptoms I've heard about.

Just one more thing, I'm not positive about this but I think you may be able to buy ambien online through europharmacy.com without a prescription. I thought I saw it on there the other day.

Please stay in touch with us, I know reaching out on the board has helped me a lot through the rough times.

Olivia

Old 12-22-2000, 12:48 PM   #4

victoria HB User

Dear Olivia,

Oh my God! Your post sounded so familiar. As I sit here, my left ovary is in so much pain. I did tell the psychiatrist that I'm much worse the last two weeks of the month. See, I had a hysterectomy 9 months ago, but I kept my ovaries. I have had painful ovulation for 10 years. The psychiatrist said "take it up with your gynecologist - I don't know anything about hormones and depression!"

I found a website for hysterectomy "survivors", and someone had posted a very informative, eye-opening link. It tells what a woman can go through if she has too much/little of estrogen or progesterone. You'll relate the second you see it. It's called:
<A HREF="http://www.hormonejungle.com/toomuch/htm" TARGET=_blank>www.hormonejungle.com/toomuch/htm</A>

I need to make a gyno appointment soon, and see what they say about this. The agorophobia intensified greatly after the hysterectomy. Both my estrogen and progesterone levels are probably out of whack.

Before the psych upped my Zoloft dose to 200mg/day, I was on it, 150mg/day. I also take Ativan, 4mg/day, which I've built up a tolerance to. My psych meds seem to have a two-year limit with me. I'm being reassigned to a new doc, because of the lawsuit old doc's office had. Unfortunately, I have only one choice. My HMO is "capitated", which means THEY tell me where I can go, and it's only the one place. By the way, not only would the pharmacist not "bend" the rules, even though I've been a customer for years, but I contacted my primary physican. She insisted on getting the paper script, which I had my husband take to her. Then, they STILL won't believe it, so they only called in 10 into the pharmacy until they get more "verification". They have the original prescription, but need my chart. They were supposed to be getting updates on me for the past five years or so from the psychiatrist, but don't have any documentation. Between dealing with doctors, and non-reliable online shopping this season, I'm going nuts.

I'm hoping the new psychiatrist will be better educated, and will help. Making and keeping all of the appointments I need is hard, because of the panic about leaving the house...... Keep in touch.<p>[This message has been edited by Victoria (edited 12-22-2000).]

Old 12-23-2000, 12:25 AM   #5
Inactive

clouds HB User

read: male practice how doctors manipulate women

Old 12-23-2000, 01:16 AM   #6

victoria HB User

Hi Clouds,

Is that a book? Is it for real, or were you just trying to make a point? Let me know if it's a book. I WOULD like to read about the subject!

P.S. My primary care doctor is a female, and she's worse than any male doctor I've had! She gives you seven minutes, grabs her prescription pad, and actually backs out of the door. Darn these HMOs!

Old 12-23-2000, 11:36 AM   #7

Olivia HB User

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the hormonejungle website, I had a look around on it yesterday but ran out of time so I'll check it out some more today.

I have got a really big beef with the HMO'S too. I have the blue cross hmo saver plan which is fairly low in price, copays etc...but I am having a heck of a time finding a gyno or a primary care physician that I like. Thank God I'm allowed to change as many times as I want until I find the right doctor. I've only had this plan for six months and have already been through 4 different doctors. I think most of those HMO doctors just don't give a damn. They are so rude and condescending and don't give you the time of day. I find myself ending up getting hostile with them just to try to get my point across. THEY DON'T LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was considering having a hysterectomy because of my severe pms but I'm afraid its just too drastic of a measure and also what if it doesn't work. Have you ever heard of this? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks,

Olivia

Old 12-23-2000, 03:12 PM   #8

victoria HB User

Hi Olivia,

You have to check out that hormone jungle thing. It's so informative....

A hysterectomy is a BIG step to cure PMS. There are many factors to consider. Do you have other problems, other than emotional? Is your cycle very heavy and painful? That's what my problem was. It's called adenomyosis - similar to endometriosis, but contained in the the walls of the uterus. I bled extremely heavily, both vaginally and rectally every month (Sorry, boys!) I DID try over a year of progesterone treatment to control it, but eventually it was untreatable, only through the hysterectomy.

If you are only suffering the emotional/depression side of PMS, I'd consider another antidepressant. When I first started Zoloft, it cured my depression, even the PMS depression. And, I was downright schizo two weeks out of the month before that. I've heard of other women taking Zoloft daily for the monthly effects of PMS.

If I were you, I'd try every avenue possible before undergoing such a painful procedure, with a terribly long recovery time. And, you can tell by me, the hormonal problems now exist again, since the Zoloft stopped working for me. Also, you must consider your age, childbearing factors, etc.

My gyno had to lie for the HMO, telling them that I had a prolapsed uterus. They wouldn't cover it for adenomyosis, so he fudged the diagnosis so I could get it done.

Don't get me wrong - I don't regret the hysterectomy for ONE minute! I'm so glad to be rid of the awful monthly mess I went through. I had my tubes tied 10 years ago, and there was NO question that I wanted no more children. I'm glad I went through with it, but it's not a cure-all.

Let me know more about what you're going through, ok?

Take Care!

Old 12-24-2000, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

Kathryn HB User

That was pretty darned dirty. How could they take a patient knowing they couldn't follow through for anything the next day. Very unethical.

I hope you can hold out for the appointment in January. Yes, the Ambien will definitely put you to sleep. It does me and you really dont want to do that in the morning.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with this. Is there no other associate office withing the same health organization or something like that.

Take care and you will get through this..

Kathryn

Old 12-30-2000, 09:50 AM   #10

Alexis* HB User

Hi Victoria. If you are in the US, I would make a complaint to the Board of Registration in your state. I know right now maybe fighting the fight is difficult. When you feel better though. No one should be treated and abused the way you were by a man who probably makes $200 an hour. Life sometimes doesn't make sense.

Closed Thread