It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2000, 10:42 AM   #1

Olivia HB User
What is Neurontin?

I have been on all of the ssri's and a couple of tricyclics but have too many problems with side effects. I'm currently on paxil 20mg. it helps a little but makes me so tired. What is this Neurontin you guys are talking about? Is it new? Does it work on serotonin or what?
Thank you for any information on this.
Olivia

Old 12-09-2000, 06:42 PM   #2

kyle4267 HB User
Re: What is Neurontin?

Olivia, I wish I could help you with the Neurontin. I tried to find it in my drug book but it wasn't listed. I too am curious as to what it is and how good it works. I'm like you I have been on alot of both kinds of meds. Paxil was not on my favorites list. Remeron was the best so far. Currently on Zoloft and Buspar. Not a big fan of this combo either. I'm going to keep an eye on your post to get an answer like you are looking for. I hope I and you can find the right med someday because I'm tired of all these meds that either don't work or give you a bunch of bad side effects. Maybe we should do what the old timers did and that is just learn to live with it. I'm looking at going to church again. I use to be Catholic and I asked my mom if I could go with her sometime to church. She about fell off her chair and said yes she would be glad to take me. Some people here suggested I take up religion and I'm considering it very much. Well, keep your eyes open for an answer to your question. Bye and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2000, 07:59 PM   #3

Olivia HB User

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for the response! Yea, let me know what you find out about the neurontin. I would like to find something that has no side effects if that's possible. I do think going to church helps. A spiritual life is very important in dealing with life. We tend to carry the weight of the world of the world on our shoulders and we need to learn to rely on others and a Higher Power whether it be God or whatever.
Hey I just posted something on Jades board for you, Rick and Jade.
Thanks for being there, I'll write again soon.

Olivia

Old 01-04-2001, 05:40 PM   #4

racyk HB User

My son has been placed on Zoloft 100mg in the a.m. and Neurontin 3 times per day. All I know of Neurontin is its used for epilepsy. As he is of legal age, his Dr. doesn't have to discuss anything with me. That's ok, I'm just concerned about the combo. A little history, he's severe ADD with impulsivity and on Adderral 30mg. until depression set in. The Dr. took him off of everything cold turkey for 2 weeks. Then prescribed the Zoloft and Neurontin. Can you share what you know about it?? Thanks alot.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:43 PM   #5

Moose00 HB User

Neurontin is an antiepileptic drug but is also prescribed as a mood stabilizer and treatment for neuropathies.

A couple of the more common side effects are drowsiness and dizziness. It comes in capsule form and the dose must be increased slowly to avoid troublesome side effects. The exact mechanism of action is unclear. Regards

Old 01-04-2001, 08:51 PM   #6

frankpop HB User

RE: Neurontin

Hi, Olivia. I am not familiar with neurontin, but a good source for information seems to be <A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com" TARGET=_blank>www.rxlist.com</A> -- it has all kinds of patient info, interaction effects, etc, etc.

My absolute BEST antidepressant and anti-OCD med was zoloft, but it completely quite working after about 18 months.

I've been on paxil for 6 years, first in combination with lithium; more recently in combination with depakote. I suspect that neurontin may be similar to depakote in that they were both for seizure disorders. Depakote is supposed to give me a "longer fuse" so that I don't flip into rage so easily. Plus supposed to balance out the paxil so that I am more level. Seems to be doing its job so far.

Best wishes!

Old 01-04-2001, 09:04 PM   #7

TrickyDick HB User

Hey Girls and Guys,

Here is another page describing this drug. <A HREF="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/gabapentinsystemic202732.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/gabapentinsystemic202732.html</A>

Old 01-08-2001, 12:35 AM   #8

mimy35 HB User

This is my first time joining the Healthboards and my first post.I was reading the questions and replys about neurontin and i was shocked to hear that someone was on this drug for any sort of mental disorder.It is an antiseizure drug and it's only other uses would have nothing to do with any mental disorder.It is commenly used to treat neuropathy and simialer disorders without much success.I did not read the pages that a few people suggested but i did major research on it when i tried it for neuropathy.It personally made me hyper,crazy added severely to my depression and that was in the first 2 days.I have read nothing about this drug that would make it sound safe to take for anything related to depression.It's another one of those drugs that they want to make into a quick cure for everything.Probably even a bee sting.It's really scary to me that someone would be prescribed this with Zoloft UNLESS seizures or some sort of nerve disorder is present.Nerve disorder not meaning anxiety.Something in the order of neuropathy.Does anyone understand or agree with me from personal experience or researching more about it?
While i'm actually speaking up for the first time and not hiding in the backround,i am going through pure hell trying to make it through my days second by second and only to find it's another day to do it all over again.I dont know how to keep hanging on.I wont kill myself so then i have to live in the worst kind of pain mentally.Not to mention that i am chronically ill with too many problems to list.I dont trust anyone but i know that icant do it myself.I have no support.I have no family and not one friend anymore.My husband left me 4 months ago out of the blue.I even filed a missing persons report until it hit me being how horrible he is that he probably did it on purpose.He did and he hasn't spoken to me since a few hours before he was supposed to be home from work 4 months ago.I filed for divorce after 14 years (i'm 36 years old)2 weeks ago it went through already and i'm divorced because he defaulted and just ignored being served.I weigh 349 pounds and no one is ever going to want me again.I have not been able to practically eat for 2 years but because of health problems my weight doesn't go up or down so please dont give me the speech on why dont i do something about my weight.There are so many things going on inside my head that i'm sure i jumped all over the place and no one understands what exactly is going on with me.All i can really say is that how much longer can i go through this.It's been coming to a head for my entire life.Especially the last 4 years with my horrible husband.What do i do?

Old 01-08-2001, 06:04 AM   #9
Inactive

joy HB User

Mimy35,
Neurontin is given sometimes for antidepressants for GAD [genetalized anxiety disorder], pain, etc. Tegretol is a similar drug which works better for a lot of people. Please get a good psychiatrist. I'm sure there are some meds out there to help you, possibly with therapy.
I'm sorry your husband left you, but if he just walked out, no explanation, etc. I don't think you've lost very much. My girlfriend's husband left after 19 years, no explanation. She did not date or go out socially expcept with a couple of friends for years. When she was 54 she met somebody and they wound up happy and together now for years. Never give up. Seek the help you need because you are worth it. I am going to a new psych today. I've just started Prozac and weaning off Zoloft. I'm starting at a low dose for a few days to help with side effects, and I don't have any at all at this point.
You have support on this Board, but you need professional care. Please get it, you're worth it.
Joy

<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-10-2001).]

Closed Thread