It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2001, 10:11 AM   #1
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
I dont want to go back on meds, but..............

I am incredibly ANGRY all the time. I know a lot of it is situational - I am in (leaving Feb 1st!!) an abusive relationship and I know a lot of the anxiety/depression/anger comes from that.
I gained a lot of weight and had side effects that I didnt like from the drugs I tried before:
Zoloft (worked well the first time then pooped out on me at 200mg, then when i tried to go back on it just made me irritated).... celexa & paxil (made me tired and hungry and didnt help depression), serzone was no help, prozac made me so angry I could tear off someone's head, wellbutrin gave me a rash, dexedrine & adderall, both stimulants, for ADD (which i dont even think I have) which made me high and then crash by the end of the day and left me spacey, I was given stabilizers which I wont take : depakote and lamictal and i am afraid to take them because i dont think i have manic depression - doc says my irritability is "dysphoric hypomania".
Now they want to try remeron or effexor - 2 with BAD side effects! I CANNOT GAIN MORE WEIGHT....as it is I am considering bulemia! AND I am a drug addict/alcoholic who is not good at taking meds the right way.
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? Is there a better way? Doc wants to try tricyclics now and those have worse weight gain then SSRIS! Please....someone please help

Old 01-22-2001, 10:24 AM   #2

kyle4267 HB User
Re: I dont want to go back on meds, but..............

KLynn,
I to am a X alcholic and not good at taking meds. I take Remeron and I think it is the best one out there. I wouldn't do the Effexor cause of the bad withdrawl talk I hear. The only problem your going to have is the weight gain because Remeron does give you the munchies. I've tried alot of depression meds(not all) and have found Remeron to be the best so far. Give it a go you might like it you never know. It helps you sleep and doesn't leave you sleepy the next day. That is a big plus for me. Good luck to you.
as ever
Kyle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2001, 02:54 PM   #3

SoLost HB User
Re: I dont want to go back on meds, but..............

Hi there,

Don't fear your diagnosis of manic depression. I'd like to deny the fact that I may have it too because it isn't as accepted in society. To be depressed is accepted more than to be manic depressed. Anyhow, I wouldn't avoid the mood stabalizers as they may be the key to treating your illness. Suggest Topamax to your doc. It's used to stabalize mood and people who take it often find they lose weight. As for the antidepressants, I think Wellbutrin is the only one that doesn't cause weight gain. Or perhaps, celexa. I tried celexa but didn't like it but everybody's chemistry is different. Good luck.

Closed Thread