It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive

K Lynn HB User
Lifestyle causes depression

My shrink once said that when I am anxious or angry or whatever, its because my inner child is SCREAMING that there is something terribly wrong.
I guess if I take a look at my life, there are REASONS for my stress and depression and mood swing....the company I keep, the abusive relationship, the lack of financial responsibility, bad diet and nutrition, lack of exercise....all these things are contributing, if not causing, my depression. Medication doesnt work for me because it doesnt change my situation, it only alleviates SOME symptoms and makes it easier for me to stay in this slump because I have something to blame. I bet 90% of us, if we put our minds to it, could get rid of the depression just by making lifestyle changes.
How many of you REALLY take care of yourself? No drugs and alcohol? Excellent diet? Exercise? Not allowing negative people into your life??? It's not always "chemical"
Just a thought.........

Old 01-04-2001, 03:27 PM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
Re: Lifestyle causes depression

You speak true words. I have stated over and over that with depression you have to make major decisions in order to over come it.
No one likes to make difficult decisions and most times we keep putting them off. Also the baggage you accumulate in your life has to be dumped by the wayside every few years or it will drag you into the ditch and its hard to climb back out. It took me nearly 30 years before I was able to empty out my bag full of nightmares from when I was young,dumb and in the Green Machine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2001, 06:23 PM   #3

Eron HB User

I exersize, eat right, do not do drugs or consume alcohol, and there are no negative people in my life, but I still feel this way. But, what if one doesn't want to overcome it?

Old 01-04-2001, 08:52 PM   #4

TrickyDick HB User

Hey Eron,
Depression can become an addiction or obsession, that is one of the terrible things about it. You can become addicted or "adaptive" to the condition and not want to let it go. You can forget how you felt before you were depressed you can almost believe that this all there is. Untill you are dragged down so deep that you can't help yourself and don't want to. That is why therapy,meds and friends become so important to give you the chance and the incentive to want to make the major decisions to change your situation and your behaviour.

Old 01-04-2001, 10:27 PM   #5

dreamer HB User

K Lynn

A good though for sure, people get depressed for all kinds of reasons, but unheathly lifestyle will not help at all. If you have mind,body and spirit working together things can be alot easyer I think , though I feel people are affaid of feeling there deep seated pain. Some will run for help at the first sign of any pain. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that, do what ever it takes. Sometimes just saying ok I have to go through this will impower you.

take care

Old 01-13-2001, 02:43 AM   #6

mimy35 HB User

K Lynn,
I have read all your posts and i cant find much difference between you and me.Your post about how medicines dont work is absolutely correct.Being healthy is definately more than half of the solution to depression.Being depressed makes us more professional than the so called ones.The problem is that everything is like a vicious circle and the way i feel(which is to an extreme)i cant even begin to start or at this point do it on my own.It doesn't help being chronically to fatally ill 24 hours a day.I have been depressed for years but what really set it off has been the last 4 years getting sicker and sicker while having not one person besides my horrible selfish husband who took off out of the blue a few months ago without a word to me except what time to pick him up from work after i'm done with my tests at the
hospital.He didn't show up and i went crazy until 2:30 in the morning when i realized he did this intentially.I have not spoken to him and my divorce went through dec 18 3 months after he left me.Now i am competely alone!!!!!!I want to smash m,y car into a wall sometimes jst to stop the pain.I will never do it but that just means i live in the worst pain and hell of all time.
Almost everything that you have written i could say about my own life.
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-18-2001).]

Closed Thread