It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 02:05 AM   #1

Shannan HB User
Medication and breast growth in men!!

Hi.. my medication (Zyprexa and phenalzine) are causing me to grow breasts..

I now look like an overweight transvestite!!

Has anyone heard of this happening? Any way of reducing this effect? I have only been given an option of a weight loss regime (and that is hard on these meds) with no guarantee of success.. and surgery.. Surgery seems a little barbaric but I am running out of options..

Old 01-04-2001, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive

joy HB User
Re: Medication and breast growth in men!!

Shannan, This is serious stuff. What about changing your meds? Is this possible? Maybe that situation would change if you got off that combo. Are you male or female? A female could deal with it a lot better. I think I would try med change before surgery. Your body may change back hopefully] when you get off those meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2001, 09:43 AM   #3

TrickyDick HB User

Hey Shannan,
I think Joy is correct, I would talk to my doc about changing meds. The main reason is that Zyprexa is a med that has terrible side effects other than weight gain.
Phenelzine will cause weight gain to (its a Mao). Together they are just too much.
These are not used for depression as much as for other conditions. What is your latest diagnosis?

Old 01-05-2001, 12:45 AM   #4

Shannan HB User

Hi..

This combination has really dragged me out of a severe anxiety/panic condition..I had like one long panic attack that lasted 3 months..The depression was secondary.. I tried the phenalzine on its own but it only worked when zyprexa was added..(I must say I am on a very low dose at 2.5mg) I would be terrified to go off this combination as it has really worked wonders..

Unfortunately where my mind has gained, my body has suffered.. The psych. has just advised me of a new drug that could be used in place of the zyprexa.. it is called Seroquel (spelling?)

I am considering this change..

Closed Thread