It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2001, 12:16 AM   #1

Dusty HB User
Article on prozac scares me

<A HREF="http://www.sightings.com/general/pro.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sightings.com/general/pro.htm</A>
This article has frightened me out of trying zoloft for anxiety disorder.
I would appreciate your comments and advise.
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2001, 12:37 AM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
Re: Article on prozac scares me

Hey Dusty,
Yea, they are right, it and all the SSRI's have terrible side effects. I was'nt aware of all the ones that this article cites but I am not surprised.
My current headdoc does'nt prescribe any of this class drugs anymore. He does'nt do drug cocktails except in drug specific combinations and very infrequently.
I am currently on Remeron, one of the newer drugs and it (if taken just before bedtime)has helped me (with therapy from my new headdoc) to almost being fully recovered.
I am not sure but I don't think it is used for anything other than depression.
Prehaps someone else here would know of another med that would be better for your illness.
Here is a post from the Stress board here. <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum114/HTML/000030.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum114/HTML/000030.html</A>
Anyway, Good luck.
Peace<p>[This message has been edited by TrickyDick (edited 01-18-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2001, 01:16 AM   #3

behindyou HB User

Wow Dusty, thanks for posting that article. Always thought I was in a smaller minority.

While I do know several people who seem/claim to benefit greatly from the SSRI's, I also know they weren't at all helpful for me. After a few weeks, when they'd start settling into the bloodstream, I'd get increasingly psychotic and aggressive. I started having unusually paranoid episodes, even-more-violent-than-usual fantasies (more often) and soon just couldn't function...at one point went into catatonia for over a day. Seems to match up with some of the things the article is saying, although again, I do know people who claim to have been helped by the SSRI's and suspect that the majority of people don't go through what I did.

That's my experience - I imagine you'll get many more perspectives. There are many alternatives out there, the important thing is that you work with your docs to find what's right for you. Best of luck,

jase

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-18-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by behindyou (edited 01-18-2001).]

Old 01-18-2001, 07:46 AM   #4

utahkid HB User

Dusty - I read the link. I hope that you don't let this article scare you from trying the Zoloft. This link was basicaly an advertisement to sell a book, with the 800 number and information to order the book at the end of the article.

The author did not offer an alternative to drug therapy for depression in the article. The author is a psychologist. They cannot prescribe drugs by law. They make a living by talk therapy. Talk therapy alone, without medication, has proven to be a dismal failure for many if not most people with depression.

The author gave examples of people who had bad results from medications. When millions of people take drugs, it is inevitable that there will be horror stories. For the most part however, the SSRI's are reasonably safe. They have been widely used in the USA since 1989 with excellent results overall.

The author mentions that SSRI's cause insomnia for months after discontinuation. I stopped taking Prozac 2 and a half years a go and went a year without going on another medication. I did not have insomnia or other side effects after stopping the Prozac.

The author says that Prozac causes obesity and seizures. That is not true. Some SSRI's can cause seizures if the dose is too high (Wellbutrin) and some can cause a weight gain, but if someone developes these side effects, the doctor can make changes to your medication and perhaps try a different class of drugs.

The bottom line is that we have tons of experience with the SSRI's and they are not perfect, but are very effective and very safe as far as medicines go. The devastating effects of untreated depression are certainly worse than the potential side effects of the SSRI's.

Old 01-18-2001, 01:25 PM   #5

Casper HB User

Hi Dusty - there are 100's of anti-depressants to choose from - SSRI's just happen to be the most popular with doctors right now - and since they are the most recent type available, all of the side-effects and long-term effects of their use aren't either documentated or widely known. I did alot of research on the net after experiencing brutal withdrawal from Effexor last year and, quite frankly, I got quite scared too. They are no more effective than any of the older class of anti-depressants, and can cause some serious long-term problems (beyond the possible withdrawal syndrome). Granted, I don't think that the majority of people suffer from these problems, but the risk is nonetheless real. I think for a long time people (incl. doctors) thought that SSRI's had a very low incidence of side-effects, and that's just not the case.

If you and your doctor think that medication would help you with your condition, talk to him/her about the older medications - MAO's - trycyclics (I'm sure my spelling's off) - they generally have more uncomfortable side-effects (dry mouth, constipation, low blood pressure) while using them, but it's certainly worth it to treat your condition (and remember, you don't have to take them forever).

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2001, 02:12 PM   #6

SoLost HB User

Hi there. I don't know anything about Zoloft but I have tried Effexor, Luvox, and Celexa. I believe, after reading the posts and the info on meds, that everyone has a unique experience with these drugs. I haven't found one that I like or can live with yet but I will still keep trying as I need meds.

I would say give the Zoloft a chance and if you start experiencing anything unbearable talk to your doc. Don't wait for a bad reaction, just take your pill and go about your day. However, since you have been researching your meds you are an informed user and will be able to recognize anything abnormal...hopefully. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2001, 04:57 PM   #7
Inactive

joy HB User

Dusty, I also believe the author, Ann Tracy, is out to sell her book by scaring people. I don't think antidepressants are for everyone though. However, with the right med through trial and error, and the right dose, SSRI's have been very helpful to many [even with some side effects] people. You can decide when you have weighed the pros and cons, to make a decision that's best for you. You may want to look over Dr. Bob's Psycho Babble at <A HREF="http://www.161.58.153.232/babble/" TARGET=_blank>www.161.58.153.232/babble/</A> just to look over the postings about these types of meds for some balance.
Joy

Old 01-18-2001, 11:32 PM   #8

Dusty HB User

Thank you everyone for your posts, you have given me lots of food for thought, but I must admit I am still confused.
Thanks for the anxiety link I checked it out too.
I take xanax for my anxiety and it works well for me when I take it. I am so frightened of getting addicted that I don't take it everyday.
But thank you again for all your thoughtful responses.

Old 01-22-2001, 07:46 PM   #9

Alexis* HB User

Hi Dusty. I have been on Zoloft for a few months now for depression/anxiety. It has been a miracle for me. Not that I just took it and felt instantly better. What it did for me was make me feel less anxious so I could fix the negative things in my life that were causing depression and to have the strenght to put my life back on track. I don't plan to take this forever, just until I get healthy things in place to lean on for stress and anxiety (i.e. exercise, yoga, healthy diet). Don't let this article scare you into not taking something that might help you (I'd be more afraid of the Xanax). I believe that many people on SSRI's might have been suicidal before they went on the drugs--explaining the suicides this article cites. I don't think SSRI's cause suicide, at most they might not have fixed the thoughts of people who were already suicidal and depressed before the medication. Zoloft helped me though with suicidal thoughts. It helped me get these scary negative feelings under control and most importantly, made me feel hopeful that with a little effort on my part, I could again find happiness and enjoyment in life.
You should make whatever decision you feel comfortable with. I just wanted to offer my opinion.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:37 PM   #10

CBOY HB User

Hey Duster, I too was scared when I first started taking meds for depression and anxiety disorder. After trying a number of them I found one that has really helped me. I know many others as well that have had their lives turned around with the help of meds like Prozac, Zoloft, and the like. Indecently the one article about Phil Hartmans wife is true or at least half-true. They forgot to mention that Phil's wife was heavily intoxicated and was using cocaine as well. Be brave, your best doctor is you. If you try one drug and you have adverse side effects stop taking it and ask for something else. God bless CD<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Closed Thread