It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2001, 02:53 PM   #1

saisoft HB User
Advice on taking paxil

I have not taken the first pill yet, but I am ready. I would like some advice on how to take it, with or without food for example and while I am on it, what i can do to subside the sid-effects if I get any.

thanks.

Old 01-17-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive

joy HB User
Re: Advice on taking paxil

Hi. I've been on Paxil twice, and would recommend starting at a low dose such as 10 mg. to help you adjust. Starting at 20 mg is too much for many people. Most doctors recommend a morning dose, and you can take with food if that helps your stomach. You can try the 10 mg for a week, if you have a problem with 10 mg you could alternate 5mg and 10 mg and then go to 10 mg. If you do well at 10 mg for a week try the 20 mg. You may be a bit lethargic for a while. I hope it works well for you. If it works, it's especially good for anxiety,
Joy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2001, 05:47 PM   #3

LLacey HB User

If you really want to start taking Paxil, I would recommend that you take it at night just before bed. The first side affect you will probably notice is dry mouth, really dry! Carry a bottle or two of water with you. Also at night you might wake up thirsty. Crushed ice is a savor. Your next side affect might be night sweats, try using a fan. I hope that helps some...
Lee

Old 01-17-2001, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

I started on 4 days of 10mg no probs then I went to 20mg (as per doc instruction) I had a terrible insomnia for 3 nights in a row then I just couldnt get out of bed for a week as I had nausea, headache, incredible tiredness. I decided to stop and tried St Johns Wort for 2 months but it helped my mood but not the tiredness. So I started paxil again. I was really scared but I took 10mg at night for a month then started 20mg at night (nights because taking it in the morning kept me awake) Now that I am adusted to it I take 20mg at night no probs. My main side effect would be constipation. My advice is take it slow and listen to what your body tells you. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2001, 09:36 PM   #5

frankpop HB User

I stared on 30mg, then 45 in about 6 mo, now on 60 for about 7 years. But, I've always been a "high dose guy" on AD's, including zoloft and desipramine. I tatke it at night, but I've also done morning alone and morning/night splits. Constipated me a little at first but now it doesn't often. If it does I take a vegatable laxative similar to metamucil.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:47 AM   #6
Inactive

joy HB User

Many people take Paxil in the morning, but you have to see if night time is better for you. We are all different, and it's probably all trial and error for dosing times for each person. I hope it works well for you.

Old 01-18-2001, 07:18 AM   #7
Inactive

Carmelita HB User

Cut them in half,then in half again.Take a quarter for the first 4 or 5 days,then take a half for a week.Then go onto 3 quarters for a few days before you take a full one.This worked so well for me.

Closed Thread