It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Question Is Wellbutrin the Only AD Which Doesn't Cause Weight Gain??

I am taking 300mg daily of the generic XL. I recently lost 34 lbs and need to lose about 8-10 more. I have taken SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics. All had horrible side effects and ALL caused weight gain (or inability to lose).

WB is helping with my energy - which has been an issue my entire life. Helping with appetite control (I think I may have some minor food issues) and it helped me quit smoking 95 days ago. I would HATE to give those things up.

However...the depression is still looming and, even worse, I have a lot of anger/irritability.

I know they add stuff to WB and I have never tried something like Lamictal or Abilify. I am wondering if there is anything in existence that could help me, let me stay on the WB, will NOT gain ANY weight (caused the depression to be so much worse) and will subside this anger feeling. I am asking for the impossible, aren't I??

Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User
Re: Is Wellbutrin the Only AD Which Doesn't Cause Weight Gain??

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy101 View Post
I am taking 300mg daily of the generic XL. I recently lost 34 lbs and need to lose about 8-10 more. I have taken SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics. All had horrible side effects and ALL caused weight gain (or inability to lose).

WB is helping with my energy - which has been an issue my entire life. Helping with appetite control (I think I may have some minor food issues) and it helped me quit smoking 95 days ago. I would HATE to give those things up.

However...the depression is still looming and, even worse, I have a lot of anger/irritability.

I know they add stuff to WB and I have never tried something like Lamictal or Abilify. I am wondering if there is anything in existence that could help me, let me stay on the WB, will NOT gain ANY weight (caused the depression to be so much worse) and will subside this anger feeling. I am asking for the impossible, aren't I??

Thanks for listening.

I am on Pristique. The pristique works wonders for my depression . They say one of the side effects of it is no appetite but like you , I am eating like crazy on it. So , after mentioning to my doctor that I eat out of control with it but I love the fact that it gets rid of my anger and irritability , she added Vyvanse 50 mg once a day to it and voila ! Best of both worlds and I have lost 40 lbs on the vyvanse !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftrio View Post
I am on Pristique. The pristique works wonders for my depression . They say one of the side effects of it is no appetite but like you , I am eating like crazy on it. So , after mentioning to my doctor that I eat out of control with it but I love the fact that it gets rid of my anger and irritability , she added Vyvanse 50 mg once a day to it and voila ! Best of both worlds and I have lost 40 lbs on the vyvanse !!
I was on Cymbalta (VERY similar to pristiq) for a few years until last spring. It started pooping out and even tho the Drs REFUSED to believe me...it was not allowing me to lose weight no matter how hard I tried. I finally went off of it very slowly and it was still pure hell. I am so lucky I didnt do something stupid because I thought I was losing it for a couple weeks. But once the withdrawal stopped I continued the exact same exercise/eating habits and lost 34 lbs in 3 months. I do not know what vyvanse is...have to look it up. I am glad you found the right combo!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Looked it up. I have a heart arrhythmia so I cannot take anything stimulating. I am surprised the WB hasn't given me a problem in that area. I cannot even drink coffee or take sudafed.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

Oh that Stinks ! From what I understand , the stimulants are the ones that give you the appetite suppression. I get skipped heartbeats and sometimes palpitations but my doctor is not worried because I do not get any symptoms from it , it's just kind of there .

Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Oh that Stinks ! From what I understand , the stimulants are the ones that give you the appetite suppression. I get skipped heartbeats and sometimes palpitations but my doctor is not worried because I do not get any symptoms from it , it's just kind of there .
Yea, when my "skipped beats" started they kinda ignored them because they really do happen to everyone...just that most ppl dont notice it. But then one day my rate went up to 170 for no reason and stayed there for over 4 hours. I now take a beta blocker daily to prevent another attack like that. It was SO awful. So, I will gladly give up things to avoid that every happening again lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

I had the same exact thing happen to me twice in a year ! For absolutely no reason whatsoever my heart went crazy to over 200 beats per minute both times. Went to the ER both times as well ! So everything came back fine , went to a cardiologist and had an echo and stress test done. They said my heart was fine and that this is something that may never hapen again and was not serious so no meds. He said if it happened again or more often than we would talk about beta blockers but he did not feel comfortable just putting me on them. So now , 2 years later and I have never had it happen again , knock on wood !! Why were they so quick to put you on them ? Have you had another episode like that again ??

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
I had the same exact thing happen to me twice in a year ! For absolutely no reason whatsoever my heart went crazy to over 200 beats per minute both times. Went to the ER both times as well ! So everything came back fine , went to a cardiologist and had an echo and stress test done. They said my heart was fine and that this is something that may never hapen again and was not serious so no meds. He said if it happened again or more often than we would talk about beta blockers but he did not feel comfortable just putting me on them. So now , 2 years later and I have never had it happen again , knock on wood !! Why were they so quick to put you on them ? Have you had another episode like that again ??
No not again (also knocking on wood!!). After talking to the cardio (was in the ER during the whole episode) we figured out this is something I have had for many years. I had been having these attacks but never thought to check my pulse and when I did the ER or whomever would just give me a xanax, pat me on the head and tell me I had panic disorder. Which I DID develop after going thru this for years. So cardio said it was never panic but SVT. I has another Cardio tell me IST. They are both treated the same with the same benign prognosis so it doesnt really matter which I guess. Either way, I am much more comfortable on the BB and I take a SUPER low dose. I will happily take them for the rest of my life if they continue to work so well.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Protriptyline and rebxetine dont cause weight gain.

Taking an SSRI with Welbutrin or one of the other 2 can help control depression realy well, and still not cause weight gain, these drugs seem to block SSRI induced weight gain.

Last edited by jonnstar; 10-15-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Protriptyline and rebxetine dont cause weight gain.

Taking an SSRI with Welbutrin or one of the other 2 can help control depression realy well, and still not cause weight gain, these drugs seem to block SSRI induced weight gain.
Those both sound like tricyclic. My last Dr...whom I loved told me to never take another tricyclic. I one time ended up in the ER when a bad doc was using me as a guinea pig with wrong doses, mixtures and what not...heart went looney.

See, this is why I feel I am at the end of all options. Between heart thing and weight issue...there seems to be nothing for me.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Reboxetine isnt a tricyclic at all, protriptyline is. I have a feeling that reboxetine isnt on the market inthe US, however, you might be able to get it from the UK or Australia.

Effexor is generaly regarded as not causing weight gain, because of its effect on noradrenalin - it might well be worth trying if you feel you are at the end of the road.

You could also try protriptyline in carefuly managed doses - start low and go slow as they say, and see if it helps without messing with your heart.

Last edited by jonnstar; 10-16-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Closed Thread