It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

ToltecWave HB User
Anyone taken Wellbutrin and Celexa/Citalopram together?

I've been on Wellbutrin but have anxiety issues and the doctor has suggested adding Celexa/Citalopram to the mix and gave me a prescription. I had initially went to him because I wanted to lose weight and I have heard stories about Celexa adding on the pounds. However, some people say that Wellbutrin mitigates that. Anyone have any experience with this combination and if it worked for depression/anxiety? Thanks all.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Re: Anyone taken Wellbutrin and Celexa/Citalopram together?

I would love to hear feedback on this one! I was on Wellburtin and it made me a mean and grouchy.............but gave me energy.............NOW I am on Celexa @ 10mgs soon to be 20 mgs, and feel so tired regardless when I take it..................regardless.

I go to my doctor next week..............I just want to find something even if I have to mix the two that WORKS FORM ME.....................

PS. I have no health insurance so it would have be a generic form...........

Someone, anyone please respond.........I am kind of in the same boat.......depression and anxiety.............they seem to go together.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Hey guys,

I took celexa/Citalopram 40mg it worked for me but not great. Celexa was causing me to lose weight and made it very hard to gain weight. Not good when you are trying to recover from an ED. From what i have heard Wellburtin will either do 3 things cause u to gain weight, lose it or nothing. It depends on you and have you re-act with the drug

Dan

Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hello my friends,
I am not sure about Celexa, but I was on Cymbalta for a year. It took away my depression, but also took away my zest for life. I felt like a zombie. I also lost about 40 pounds taking that drug. I stopped taking the drug on my own. Sometimes the medicine is worse than the problem in my case. I have dealt better with my depression after knowing Cymbalta just made me so blah, blah, if that makes sense. For me, I would rather have the ups and downs than just not feeling anything. I also got really bad cold sweats at night on that medication. I mean so bad we had to wash the sheets every other day.

I have fought with depression my whole life, but have come to grips with it and try the best I can in my own way. I hope this helps somehow. I personally haven't found medication helping me at all - as far as depression goes.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 01-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Thanks all...........

Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
(female)

kiliwia HB User

I've taken Celexa and Wellbutrin for years together and never had any problems. Now I'm on Lexapro and Wellbutrin, I have found that the Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo works better for me. My weight has stayed pretty stable for the last years I've been on it. I've had some break through depression over the last 3-4 months that I just can't seem to shake so we've added Abilify hoping that will kick start the A/D's otherwise the next plan will be Cymbalta. I'm just so tired of this roller coaster life. Twenty two years of dealing with this is way too long.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

kiliwia,
I am sorry with your depression. yes it is a roller coaster. But it sounds like you may feel better. I think it is what ever works for you. It is funny that my wife is the opposite of me. She is so happy all of the time, so she helps me. I don't know how we got together, I guess I got lucky. My whole family deals with depression to my grandmothers on both sides so I think it is genetic. People that don't have depression say "get over it" but it is not that simple. I wish you well.
Tim

Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
(female)

Zand HB User

It took me five years to find a doctor who would give me this combination.

Celexa is an SSRI. That's a medicine that alters your serotonin levels.
Wellbutrin is an NDRI. That's a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

All three of these chemicals play a role in how we feel. Because people are different, different medications may be used to treat different deficiencies.

When you take an SSRI like Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro, or Celexa and it seems to work a little but not totally solve the problem doctors may try increasing the levels of the other chemicals too.

When you get Wellbutrin to augment your SSRI, what you're getting is medication that alters serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine levels. It seems to be well documented that a huge number of folks who don't react fully to SSRI have significant improvement with Wellbutrin added.

They are generally safe to take together, but because everyone is different there's a chance it might just not be the right treatment for you personally.

(Man, this post looks like something you'd hear on a TV ad. Haha.)

Last edited by Zand; 01-09-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Zand in regards to your post...... Wellbutrin made me so freaking angry I couldn't even stand myself. The good things from it were energy and increased sex drive where the SSRI 's cause those problems and others. I have wondered it taking both would counteract each other on those issues.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is a good question, I was told you could not take Lexapro and Wellburtin, but don't know if this is true?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
(female)

BeHereNow HB User

I have a similar question. I've been on 200 mg of Bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) for 3 months. It gives me energy but causes anxiety. I am decreasing it to 100 mg and adding 20 mg of Celexa/Citalopram (building up to the Citalopram). I've heard of people adding Wellbutrin to Celexa but not the other way around. Does anyone know if this will be okay? I am in a stressful new job and really want this med transition to go well! Thank you for your support!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would love to hear feedback about this one?! I am on Celexa and it makes me quite tired.....regardless when I take it, I took Wellburtin for a week and it made me so mean and aggressive. Will the two work together?

Closed Thread