It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
(male)

Luziana guy HB User
Arrow I'm having the toughest time of my life........need help with an anti-depressant.

The doctor had me on Remeron. It didnt seem to help and I gained over 30 lbs on it.
I'm dealing with more than I can handle career wise like not having one!!! My father was just diognosed with Cancer and Ive been in the hospital 4 times in 6 months for Pancreatitus!!!!!!! Seems every day is a challenge to just get out of bed and the insomnia I have is killing me.
What do yall recommend for something that wont make me gain weight, helps with sleep and doesnt have a million sides. I saw a commercial for Cymbalta but the sides seem worse than my symptoms.

Any help would be soooooo appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

Down and out in Louisiana.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: I'm having the toughest time of my life........need help with an anti-depressant.

This may be a long shot, however; perhaps worth asking your M.D. about it. Trazadone is one of the oldest antidepressants still around, yet it is an excellent sleep aide-however it is not classified as an SSRI (at least I am fairly sure of that, as I am currently taking it with out any side-effects). Almost all of the SSRI's have some very unplesant side effects -- weight gain is at the top of the list for sure. One of the negative aspects of Trazadone, however, when used as an antidepressant, is that the therapeutic dose is between something like 350-600 mgs/night. However, as used to help you sleep, it's a much lower dose.
You sound like you are going throught a very, very stressfull time and may need more than just one type of medication to see you thought it.
Good luck. Sorry about your fathers condition.

The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:
Luziana guy (01-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
(male)

Luziana guy HB User
Re: I'm having the toughest time of my life........need help with an anti-depressant.

Thanks Amy. I tried Trazadone though, it didnt do much for me personally and gave me very strange dreams. (You said it was a long shot but I sincerely appreciate the suggestion) also tried Seroquel and Effexor but I dont recall if Effexor helped me sleep. I dont remember anything about it really as it was a long time ago when my mom was kidnapped and her life taken in a robbery. Now my girlfriend just said she doesnt think things are working out a few minutes ago!!!!!!!! One second she loves me more than life and is by my side when Im breaking down, the next she is distant and seems like a friend. She seems very bi polar and I think she is.
I'm an educated man but my anxiety and depression is holding me back.
I take low dose Klonopin that calms my nerves but I need some help with this depression so bad.

Thanks Amy and more suggestions welcome please......

Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Wow, you have gone through some heavy duty stuff which appears to continue to this day, re: girlfriend. I also take Klonopin - usually 3 mgs. at night. Was also on Effexor for a while and NO, it did NOT promote sleep, in fact it just the opposite. Everytime I tried to fall alseep, I would be jerked -- literally -- upright. Terrible drug for me at least.

I am by no means a medical "professional", however; it does kind of sound like you have the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder going on.

As I mentioned earlier, Wow - you certainly have been through he!! a few times.
Let me know what you and your doctor have decided on. I truly do care, and am interested in your well being.

Closed Thread