It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

brando76 HB User
How Do I Get Out Of This Rut??

I have suffere depression for years and in the begining I had a hard time sleeping, I was lucky if I got at least 3 hours of sleep in a day. Now it seems I am sleeping all day and I have a real hard time waking up for work. I feel tired even after sleeping 12+ hours.
I am taking medication such as Citalopram, Clonopin & ADHD medication and been on several other meds through out the years, probably every medication out there but they just dont work. I was seeking a counselor but she was no help as well as the other counselors I seen in the past.
I try to motivate myself to look forward to doing something to get me out of this funk but I rather sleep.

Is there anyone here who has been through this and do you mind sharing your tips? I read an interesting article on the web called "Depression and Dreaming" from the U.K and they talked about REM (rapid eye movement) and how taking an hour a day relaxing will help but if I were to take an hour a day relaxing I would just fall a sleep and not wake up lol.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: How Do I Get Out Of This Rut??

Is there anything in your life that brings you any happiness and/or joy? Is there anything at all that you actually look forward to (except sleeping)? If not, then you have to find something pretty fast. Volunteering your time helping other people (usually the elderly) is a win-win situation. You don't really have to do much, just sitting and talking to them is incredibly uplifting and will make a huge difference in your life. Trust me I know, as I was in a similar situation last year. It has taught me more about myself then I could have ever imagined. And. . . you will have a reason it get up every morning, as your "patients/clients" are anxious to just be with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
(male)

brando76 HB User

I hear what you are saying and I have tried doing things that I would look forward to such as taking a trip to go snowboarding or just working on my car but when the day comes I just dont care to get up. Things I once enjoyed is now a big void in my life and there seems to be nothing that can bring that feeling back even though I try.
There are some things I think it may be the cause of this and if I make some changes it may bring happiness in my life such as moving back to my original city where I grew up and getting a divorce but my counselor said it wouldnt help me!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
There are some things I think it may be the cause of this and if I make some changes it may bring happiness in my life such as moving back to my original city where I grew up and getting a divorce but my counselor said it wouldnt help me!
He/She must have had a reason for saying that (although I can't fathom what it would be). You have to know deep down what is best for you and what will work. Sure, if you have kids, that is a very different story.

It really sounds to me like your problem is not a chemical imbalance in your synapses, etc., but something situational. Is it that your wife (if she is indeed still living with you) does not share your interests?

One more question, I swear. And this question should help you see beyond the "clinical" box: Are you really and truly in love with your wife? Do you see her as someone that you simply can't live without. My guess obviously would be NO!

I am writting (talking way too much). Don't know hown old you are, but life without excitement is ????????????? yeah! Don't waste yours on what could/might/should have beens!. Ya know what I mean.
Best Of Luck to You Brando
amy

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
(male)

brando76 HB User

I am actually 35yrs and been married for about 10 years and I dont have kids. I guess I got married because I thought this is what you were suppose to do at that age and honestly I never been in love, I had a hard childhood which lead to trust isses and I just couldnt let anyone get close to me.

I dont mind the question as I have nothing to hide except my name and location for obvious reasons lol. I do sometimes wish I knew how to love or find someone I could love but in my position I am just damaged goods.

I have attempted to make moves in the past but I guess I fear if I fail I would have no where to go from there.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I do sometimes wish I knew how to love or find someone I could love but in my position I am just damaged goods.
Sounds exactly what Dexter Morgan (you know, from the series Dexter) always says. "Damaged" is fixable - with the correct "tools". OMG brando at 35, you're at the best possible stage of your life. Don't waste another 35 yrs, finally realizing this.
Quote:
I have attempted to make moves in the past but I guess I fear if I fail I would have no where to go from there.
Failure happens sometimes, however; it is necessary for success.
The Only Way You Fail Is If You QUIT!
Don't quit now, you still have time to find peace and happiness.
amy

Closed Thread