It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

katiemae11 HB User
can circumstances cause depression

In 2007 I was thin, active, and happy, but I got sick, my job got to be too much, and I was independant and I decided to reunite back with my husband, the church also thought it would be a great idea, but deep in my heart I was seperated for 3 yrs and rather have divorced, long story, but my health went to the pits, hystoplasmosis, hysterectomy, lymph node removed, gained wieght, lost all sexuall desire, now 4 yrs later, I am so depressed I am at the point where I am feeling like a rat in a cage, I don't have the energy to run, but if I stay I will surely die, I am lost right now, I really need someone to talk to, I need some feedback, please can someone who is married and depressed talk?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: can circumstances cause depression

I've been married, and I know what it's like to be in that situation, and not wanting to be. If you need someone to talk to, I would happily be that person if you need me to. Are you happy your back with your husband? Hopefully you are. Are you tired from the depression or do you think something else is wrong? I have exhausting fatigue but it's my immune system being a butt. I know the stress in my life just makes that worse too. Have you tried any antidepressants or councelling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Depression caused by circumstances is called "reactive depression" (reacting to things in your life), where as depression that comes out of nowhere is known as endrogenous depression.

Antidepressants can help, counseling/psychotherapy can help, and both together can realy help.

I'd ask your doctor for a trial of antidepressants, and start seeing a counsellor/psychologist to help you work through your issues and try to get on top of them.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

I definably agree here. I have had tons of stress within the last year or so, and my depression and anxiety have gone sky high.......No job, mother whom is sick and will not get better, and dealing with a handicapped family member whom will have to go into a apartment setting soon...........has put in to the lowest.........

I am on day 29 of prozac and finally decided it is time to see a therapist for I need one and thought that for a good while. I have to start thinking of ME. I can't change the surroundings and have made myself literally sick............no more.............I need to start living life again.............

Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

I think with reactive depression as opposed to endogenous depression, it's most important to make any life changes you have control over, and it is best to get psychotherapy rather than antidepressants. In your case, your life situation is probably affecting your brain chemistry rather than the other way around, so the solution is going to be in changing what you can. You may want to take AD's anyway if you're really low, but definitely don't just take those without working through the problems because that will not help you.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Agreed. This is why I have chosen to seek a therapist. This board has been great to me, and don't know where I would be with out all these good people on here. Very interesting about the two kinds of depression...........mine seems to really get fired up in bad situations, etc..

Closed Thread