It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
(female)

eggthemoonpig HB User
Smile Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicworry View Post
I'm not sure where to post this, but this seems like the most logical place. I have recently been getting tapered off of pristiq, and I am now experiencing very bad withdrawal symptoms. I have gone pristiq free for three days now, and I am so dizzy that I can hardly move. I also have what people describe as "brain zaps". I know there isn't any set number of days that this lasts, but I guess I just want to know that I'm not alone. This is a horrible experience and I really want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but right now it seems like I will never be able to feel ok. I don't want to go on another medication to help because then I will have to get off of that medication eventually too. I really just want to be medication free. I was using pristiq for dealing with a very difficult time in my life, and now that it's over, I want to be medication free. Has anyone else ever gone through this and gotten to the light at the end of the tunnel. I would LOVE to hear any success stories at all. I am doing this under supervision, so I don't want anyone to be concerned. I was actually told I could just stop taking it, but I got another opinion since the first one didn't seem right. I have been on pristiq 50mg once a day for 7 months.

Hi there!

This is actually my first post and I just wanted to reply to your description because I feel like I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I have been on Pristiq 100mg for 2 years, and 25 days ago started weaning off. I took 50 mg for 10 days, and then 50 mg every second day for 10 days and now nothing. I thought the dizziness would go away, but today it is awful. And those brain zaps are the weirdest thing ever! I really hope you get through yours! And I'm sure you will and that I will too. It seems really hard right now, but I hope that knowing you're not alone in how you're feeling might help you keep the strength to continue. I know reading your post made me feel like there are people who understand what I'm going through too.

Also does anyone else have the symptom of having trouble reading? The words keep shaking around!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
(female)

Toni3030 HB User
Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on a board - every. But this is most certainly the right board for me to start on.

I'm on day 3 or 4? of withdrawal. I think 4. I've been on Pristiq for about 3 years. The highest dosage for me was 150mg but I have dropped down over the last 6 months to 100mg and then to 50mg for a few months. And now nothing.

The tapering down wasn't so bad for me - hardly any side effects at all. So the side effects I'm having now from stopping were pretty unexpected.
I knew I would get some side effects, but to be brutally honest I feel like wreck.

I'm constantly dizzy, headachy, general depression, extreme fatigue (I'm napping for a couple hours twice a day and sleeping through the night), I'm neauseous most of the time, irritable (but then again with the other side effects, who wouldn't be!) and generally miserable.

But I'm getting through it okay by telling myself that this is just part of the process - that this is just what happens and it doesn't last and it will be fine.
It doesn't help that no one else really understands what is going on or how severe the side effects are - because no one else I know is on antidepressants and doesn't even understand depression very much. But it will be okay.

It has been a rough day for me, but it is great finding this board and knowing that A) my symptoms are normal and B) they will get better.
Support helps. Even if it's from people you don't know and will never meet.

Good luck to everyone. Just remember that it will get better. Love to you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to Toni3030:
Over it all (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
(male)

Kaos77 HB User

First post here.

Was on 50mg Pristiq for 5 months. Today is day 3 of no more meds. Golly, I feel strange. The brain zaps and dizzy sensation are insane. Also, I've having trouble reading aloud, which is not good, since I work in TV news.

Hoping for better days ahead.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
(female)

Toni3030 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to follow up from my last post a few days ago.

The dizziness has subsided, I'm still really really tired all the time and sleeping quite a bit during the day, the nausea has lessened and the general depression isn't too bad any more. I can happily say that even though there is a little way to go, I can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Just a few things that I have found useful, that others might find useful as well. For the dizziness and nausea I am drinking warm water with fresh ginger in it which has helped HEAPS. I am making sure I drink loads of fluids and sleep whenever I need it. For my confusion I have written anything important down so I don't forget it. And the most important thing I am doing is on my mothers advice - be kind to yourself.

I wouldn't suggest working or trying to put on a brave face and continue life as normal through at least the first week of withdrawal. But even saying that, I have had to go into work a couple times this week but only for half days.

For anyone who I don't know well enough to tell them the truth about what is going on, I tell them I have a really bad flu with a sinus infection (and just in case I burst into tears - I elaborate and tell them I can't sleep because of the flu and I'm exhausted as well) and most people don't ask too many more questions.

Hope everyone is keeping their heads above water out there. Love to you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to Toni3030:
Over it all (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
(female)

Over it all HB User

Hi all. Just wanted to give update on being off pristiq. All is good now, made it over the heap and glad I did it! I think the Prozac 10 mg helped quite a bit, even though I only took a handful of times. I had read somewhere about taking it and so happy I did. All has been good. Just need to keep walking everyday....thanks to my dog makes it easier to get out there and go. Good luck to all

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
(female)

alil7885 HB User

Hi Everyone.
I am so glad that I am not alone!! I have been on Pristiq for 4 years, for 2 years I was on 50mg and then went up to 100mg the last 2 years. I felt amazing on pristiq all the way until this past January. I seriously did not think it was pristiq making me feel dizzy and nauseated every day(the list goes on) until I recently read some other forums where people were having the same symptons as I was. I went to the doc just a few weeks ago, and told her how I was feeling. She checked my ears and said they were full of fluid which is probably why I was feeling that way. I trust her, so I was like ok and followed her plan to clear up the fluid. I got curious, and just searched the internet typing my symptoms and pristiq. I was amazed at the amount of people having my exact symptons on it. So I called last week and requested my schedule to taper off of it. She gave me this 8 week schedule to taper off of it, but I am at a point where I just need to stop it. So I officially stopped Pristiq last Thursday, and have only been dizzy/nauseated up until yesterday. Yesterday my whole body ached like I had the flu, I was so weak and drained. Today, my body does not ache but I am down to where I just can't stop crying. I keep telling myself that it's part of this process, but this sucks! I have never been so down in my life. I'm glad that there have been updates, on how people are doing now. It's kinda given me that little spark of hope that I need to know Pristiq will eventually get out of my body and I will be ok. How long has it taken everyone to finally feel like they were off of Pristiq? To feel like it is completely out of their system?

The following user gives a hug of support to alil7885:
Toni3030 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
(female)

Toni3030 HB User

Hey,
It has been almost a month since I stopped taking Pristiq. I am feeling so much better, but am still swinging with my moods a bit and am irritable - but this could also be because I'm pretty stressed with other things in my life at the moment.
I would imagine it will take a few months for the natural seratonin levels and other brain chemicals to balance out completely. It's important to exercise and meditate during this time - exercise is one of the most effective and PROVEN ways to increase the 'happy' drugs in your brain naturally and meditation can help if you're suffering anxiety (like me). Also, I have started NLP counselling and other forms of counselling to work on any underlying issues. I think it's important to have a real plan on how to manage your moods - be it depression, anxiety or whatever, after you come off your anti-depressants. Having a way forwards will help you not slip backwards.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
(female)

Toni3030 HB User

Hey,
It has been almost a month since I stopped taking Pristiq. I am feeling so much better, but am still swinging with my moods a bit and am irritable - but this could also be because I'm pretty stressed with other things in my life at the moment.
I would imagine it will take a few months for the natural seratonin levels and other brain chemicals to balance out completely. It's important to exercise and meditate during this time - exercise is one of the most effective and PROVEN ways to increase the 'happy' drugs in your brain naturally and meditation can help if you're suffering anxiety (like me). Also, I have started NLP counselling and other forms of counselling to work on any underlying issues. I think it's important to have a real plan on how to manage your moods - be it depression, anxiety or whatever, after you come off your anti-depressants. Having a way forwards will help you not slip backwards.
Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toni3030 For This Useful Post:
alil7885 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
(female)

alil7885 HB User

Toni3030, thanks for the reply. I exercise 6 days a week, and have continued to force myself to do so while dealing with the withdrawal effects. Hopefully that will keep the symptoms down a bit. I figure it is probably going to take a good bit for it to completely get out of my system, did you experience chills at all? I'm a hot natured person so for me to be getting chills is definitely out of the ordinary.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #25
(female)

josiepats HB User
Cool Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

I wanted to share my withdrawal symptoms from Pristiq
in hopes it will help someone.
My info-
I'm a 35 yo female
Been on Pristiq 50 mg 2.5 yrs
Athletic - workout daily & practice yoga
I don't drink alcohol, nor consume meat/dairy.
And I stopped taking Pristiq cold turkey two weeks ago.
The first day - I had dizzying headaches when I would step outside, or stand up too quickly.
The second day - the headaches lessoned to 2-3 times that day.
The third and fourth day - I maybe had one headache each day.
And that was it.
What I have noticed since I have been off for two weeks, is my head/thoughts seem more clearer, my happy is more happier.
Although I would not take back getting on Prisitq, because nothing, nothing at all helped me get out of my funk.
Something weird thing that I noticed when I was on Pristiq, was the tips of my fingers would get numb at times, especially at nite. Now that I am off, I no longer have that sensation, very weird.

All the best to you all.

Last edited by josiepats; 02-24-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
(male)

kkneedeep HB User

All I can say is I'm sorry anyone has to go though what you people go though experiencing all these feelings of anxiety and depression and confusion.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-25-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Please remember this board is for people dealing with depression. There is a separate board for family members. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
(female)

Over it all HB User

It's been about 8 months since leaving Pristiq behind! So glad I did! I really think the 10 mg of Prozac helped, and would recommend to anyone. I only had to take maybe 5 times. I think I took on the 2nd or 3rd day, just to get over the messy parts ! Anyways, so much better now. Not on any meds, but have kept up the daily walks. I try for 20-30 min a day. Everything I've read said walking helps so much with irritability, moods etc. good luck to all!

The Following User Says Thank You to Over it all For This Useful Post:
fusionqueen (02-25-2013)
Closed Thread