It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

chronicworry HB Userchronicworry HB User
Pristiq Withdrawal

I'm not sure where to post this, but this seems like the most logical place. I have recently been getting tapered off of pristiq, and I am now experiencing very bad withdrawal symptoms. I have gone pristiq free for three days now, and I am so dizzy that I can hardly move. I also have what people describe as "brain zaps". I know there isn't any set number of days that this lasts, but I guess I just want to know that I'm not alone. This is a horrible experience and I really want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but right now it seems like I will never be able to feel ok. I don't want to go on another medication to help because then I will have to get off of that medication eventually too. I really just want to be medication free. I was using pristiq for dealing with a very difficult time in my life, and now that it's over, I want to be medication free. Has anyone else ever gone through this and gotten to the light at the end of the tunnel. I would LOVE to hear any success stories at all. I am doing this under supervision, so I don't want anyone to be concerned. I was actually told I could just stop taking it, but I got another opinion since the first one didn't seem right. I have been on pristiq 50mg once a day for 7 months.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

First off...the only way I got off this med in 2 weeks was going to 20mg of cymbalta and every 2 days dumping out part of the capsule. NO real withdrawls...Tried every other day dosing and thought I would die....Now i am over a month off an WOW I have gained 5 more pounds..total of 10 but look like a bloated balloon. Had my thyroid tested and it was off...dosage increased...waiting on other labs as I do not urinate much since stopping and retain alot of fluid....I have been on every SSRI med out there...I will NEVER EVER take this one again!!! I have never said that about a med no matter how I reacted but this one has left me feeling physically miserable!! I hope you ask for cymbalta or prozac just for a few spaced doses to get off and then I hope you have no side effects like I am dealing with... I contacted Pfizer....they even sent me a letter to send back on side effects, withdrawal ect ect... call them!! This med is messing with peoples lives!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 03-13-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

how are you feeling? I hope much better!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
(female)

chronicworry HB Userchronicworry HB User

I wanted to do an update in case anyone finds this thread and is looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. About a week after I made this thread, almost all of my withdrawal symptoms were gone. The dizziness went away so gradually that I started to forget about it and then suddenly I realized it was gone.

The extreme panic feeling DOES go away. Please don't give up hope if you are trying to withdraw from this medication. It is absolutely horrible in the beginning, at least it was for me, but if you can wait it out you will feel so much better after it is out of your system.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

gelatome HB User
Wink Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicworry View Post
I wanted to do an update in case anyone finds this thread and is looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. About a week after I made this thread, almost all of my withdrawal symptoms were gone. The dizziness went away so gradually that I started to forget about it and then suddenly I realized it was gone.

The extreme panic feeling DOES go away. Please don't give up hope if you are trying to withdraw from this medication. It is absolutely horrible in the beginning, at least it was for me, but if you can wait it out you will feel so much better after it is out of your system.
thank you so much! i am on day five of withdrawal and needed to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. the brain zaps are the weirdest thing ever! along with the ch ch ch sounds that only i can hear (no voices) LOL i've been drinking ALOT of fresh ginger in chamomile tea to help with the nausea, and just being very careful with what i try to do for the extreme vertigo. it's so good to know that others make it through the tough parts... thanks again!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
(female)

no more suffer HB User

I too am going off pristique after being on it for 2 years, i have been on antidepressents for 25 years and have finally decided they really never helped. This is sooo hard I have been weaning off now for 3 weeks. I am down to 50 mill. every 3 days. The brain shocks hot cold chills, headaches are still there but now i am starting to get some breaks in between. This is hell but i am determind to stop these pills from hell forever. I wish the shrinks would tell us poor slobs what it;s like to go off. I am suffering but this time i am determind Plese whoever is having my issues be stong we will get over it. Remember "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

The following user gives a hug of support to no more suffer:
fusionqueen (05-06-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

mcr138 HB User

I've read this thread and feel I should share my experiences and maybe get some advice. I was on 300 mg of pristiq for three years, 50 mg for another year, and I have been off it now for five days. And, like you all said, I feel horrible. Between the dizziness, vertigo, flu-like symptoms, SUPER irritability, etc, I am struggling to make it through the day at work, and even once I'm off work, I am all mean to my family. It sucks. My doctor recommended the on one day off one day method for getting off, but I read a blog that did not recommend that. So, whether it was a good idea or not, I cut the pills in half for two weeks, then in quarters for two weeks, and now I'm all off, but still super miserable. I also take 100 mg of Wellbrutrin, but I'm still on that (who knows what it's doing to me).
So I've had the withdrawal symptoms for five days and want to know how long it's going to last? I'm willing to wait it out because I'm ready to be clean, so I don't want to start anything else to help me get off of it. Does anyone know when it will end? I need some good info.
Help?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
(male)

Ru5ty HB User

Hi All,

I have been on Pristiq for nearly 2 years and have been tapering from 150mgs. It has been hell. I was down to 50 (1 tab) a day and then 1/2 tab a day for about 2 weeks and then stopped last Saturday. Today is Thursday, and the brain zaps are the worse. I feel like I have the flu and could not go to work today. What do I tell my boss, I depressed??

If you are on this meds, it will be really difficult to get off. I hope that I will be okay by Monday, as I really don't think I will be able to go to work tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
(female)

mcr138 HB User

I've been completely off for ten days and I'm still dizzy, but it's definitely getting better. Just hang in there, and take it easy.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
(female)

Over it all HB User

Im getting ready to go off pristiq. Dr says I don't need anything "since" already on lowest dose....is he crazy!! I explained how I've run out and had to go over weekend, dizziness, nausea etc. I asked for Prozac to help w withdraw...u would have thought I was asking for keys to a new car!! He said no, don't need anything, can stop anytime. He doesn't know! !
I have 2 weeks off next week, so gonna jump! I plan on spending time in bed, after reading others posts. Any advice appreciated.

We can do this and get off this horrible med!! I will check back daily!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
(female)

kimbo1234 HB User

Hi, I am new to this site. My daughter is being weaned off Pristiq her last pill is tomorrow. I am so afraid for her after reading horror stories on the internet. She has gone like 3 or 4 days in between without taking one. Does "everyone" have the severe side affects? Thank you.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
(female)

Jenwilma HB User
Smile Re: Pristiq Withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicworry View Post

This was BY FAR the most helpful and hopeful thing I've read in the past 2 & 1/2 hours so thank you for taking the time to come back and post an update. I thought I was scruples!! I've been researching the Internet for days trying to find out what kind of crazy I'd become, turns out it's not crazy, it's withdrawals (well probably quite a bit of crazy mixed in there too). Seriously though, to know there's an end to the zaps, sweats, anxiety & panic, moodiness, nausea, headaches, and this sort of out of body feeling that I can only explain like a waking black-out will soon be over is the greatest feeling EVER!! I should only have a few more days to hang in and then it's bye bye prescription meds for me. Thanks again for posting your update and giving me a pretty awesome chunk of hope.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
(female)

Over it all HB User

Today is day 4....can't stand but the dr gave me Prozac. I take 10 mg in the am, and nap time for 2 hours fom it. I've read that's normal, but hate taking one thing o get off another. Doesn't make sense, but couldn't hole w out it! Hope this is over soon! Good Luck to all, we can do this! I'm writing in journal so I remember, cause I can't remember anything..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
(female)

Jenwilma HB User

I'm new around here too but not to reading hours and hours of peoples experiences with various meds and withdrawals. What I found is while it seemed a lot of people did have symptoms, there were also some who didn't. Either because they tapered their meds or tolerated stopping. I took Celexa 40 mg for about 8 months until my meds ran out about a month ago and abruptly stopped (I despised the way the drug made me feel but the depression and anger was overwhelming at the time). I then picked up with Pristiq (sorry, I can't remeber the dose) until those also ran out and because of a lack of medical insurance and being a mother of 2 girls and having an unemployed hubby, I'm gonna stick this one out. The Celexa had NOTHING on Pristiq in the sense of feeling miserable, but in all fairness, I haven't done it correctly either time. I've always prided myself on being a tough cookie and have tolerated some intense moments as a younger woman/girl. That will definately work in her favor the next few weeks. Add that to the fact that she probably appropriately tapered her med, and has the support of her mama?!? It may be rough but you can do anything when you got your mom by your side. Good luck to both of you! I wish you the best.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
(female)

eggthemoonpig HB User

Hi there!

This is actually my first post and I just wanted to reply to your description because I feel like I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I have been on Pristiq 100mg for 2 years, and 25 days ago started weaning off. I took 50 mg for 10 days, and then 50 mg every second day for 10 days and now nothing. I thought the dizziness would go away, but today it is awful. And those brain zaps are the weirdest thing ever! I really hope you get through yours! And I'm sure you will and that I will too. It seems really hard right now, but I hope that knowing you're not alone in how you're feeling might help you keep the strength to continue. I know reading your post made me feel like there are people who understand what I'm going through too.

Also does anyone else have the symptom of having trouble reading? The words keep shaking around!

Closed Thread