It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

Bette14 HB User
Should I see a doctor?

Hello and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. I'm at my wits end here and I really don't know what to do anymore, so I'm just going to come out and say what I need to say, and hopefully someone can advise me on what to do.

I was thinking of arranging an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to find out if I'm just stuck in a temporary rut or if something else is going on with me (i.e. depression).
I'm 19 years old, and since I was 14 I've been self harming. It started as a means to vent when I was getting bullied in school, and now it's just to vent any negative emotions rather than to deal with them. No one is aware that I do this. Any questions about my cuts and I've always got an excuse. I have my down days, everyone does, but for the last few months they just seem to have gotten worse. I'd rather just sleep all day then face the world because I feel so unhappy. I cry all the time, and it just takes the smallest thing to trigger that. Thankfully I'm not self harming as much anymore, but it's always on my mind. As well as this I do have suicidal thoughts and they came along with the self harm. I've never actively tried to kill myself, although I have thought about it in great detail.

I don't have a terrible life, and really have no great reasons for being so unhappy all the time, but I just wish I could be happy. It wasn't until a close friend actually pointed out how unatural it is for a person to be so sad 24/7 that I started to think that maybe I should take a visit to my doctor and just explain what's going on. The self harm, suicidal thoughts, everything.

If someone could tell me if it's worth talking to a doctor about, then I'd be very grateful for your input. And if so, how do you talk to your doctor about this? I just can't carry on feeling so unhappy all the time.

Thank you, guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Should I see a doctor?

Yes you definately need to seek some kind of professional help. Speak with your Dr. and tell him/her exactly what you said here. In fact print it out and bring it with you. Someone your age, or really any age who feels that horrible that they wish to harm themselves needs help.

Life is way too short to spend it closed up in your room and having feelings like this. Your young and should be out having the time of your life!!! PLEASE see a Dr., don't let this continue, you won't regret getting help.

My very best of wishes...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Bette14 (03-15-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hi there I read your post and wanted to reach out to you. I am not a dr or anything but just from reading your letter I think it would do you a world of good to go see your doctor. It seems to me that you could be suffering from depression and I worry about the self harming. If you think you would have trouble asking your dr about depression take someone with you and let them explain what they have observed taking place in your life for the last little while.PLEASE stay in touch and let me know what you decide to do. I also want to tell you that this board is a GREAT place to talk or vent and receive some GREAT advice. I have made ALOT of friends this way and they have helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!!!! TAKE CARE!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
Bette14 (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

Bette14 HB User

Thanks alot for your replies, guys.
They've really helped.
I was trying to gather the strenth to make an appointment yesterday, but I couldn't. Now, however, you've convinced me that I should seek help, and I think you're right.
I really appreciate this, and I haven't felt any happier since posting this, so seeing a doctor can't hurt, right?

I really appreciate your words, and I'll let you know how I get on

The following user gives a hug of support to Bette14:
JJ (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sooooo glad we convinced you. Be sure to keep us updated. Have to admit, this is a great place for support and advice.

Best of well wishes....JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 03-15-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
(female)

Bette14 HB User

Yeah, everyone here really seems to help and support each other, it's a real comfort

I can't get an appointment now until next week, but like I said, I'll be sure you let you know how I get on

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, most everyone here is at least willing to give an opinion even if they can't tell you exactly what it might be. I learned a ton of stuff about getting off statins and keeping my cholesterol in check without them when I came here in 2000. Took me a year to get it right, but so far..so good.

Best of wishes for great results...JJ...

Closed Thread