It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
(male)

EddieR HB User
Will My Doctor Prescribe Me Meds For Depression/Anxiety If I Ask Him To?

I've felt the same for three years, hoping I'd feel better, but nothing has changed, and now I want to try medication. I've been wanting to go to the Doctor for almost a year, but I have a hard time talking to people face to face, and just being in any social situation, so I put it off.

I wanted to know if telling my Doctor about my problems will result in him prescribing medication for me, or will he send me to a therapist before prescribing medication? I really don't want to talk to a therapist. It's just a problem I have.

I'm 21, if that makes any difference.

The following user gives a hug of support to EddieR:
veewee (03-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Will My Doctor Prescribe Me Meds For Depression/Anxiety If I Ask Him To?

If you explain the situation to your doctor, he will probably prescribe for you - as a mater of fact, after taking the meds for 4-8 weeks, you might find your self more open to therapy as well, the meds imrpove your confidence and reduce your anxiety, and so make therapy easier to deal with.

Meds can be good, therapy can be good, but both together can be extremely good.

Dont put it off another day, ring your doctor for an appointment, and start living again!

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
EddieR (03-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
(male)

EddieR HB User

I hope that's the case. I really have trouble talking to people. It gets worse and worse. As of now, I can barely talk to my family, and I don't even talk to my friends. I hardly leave my house as well.

Just out of curiosity, what does a Doctor normally prescribe?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
(female)

veewee HB User

the short answer is yes. I finally broke down and went to the doctors for my depression after suffering over a year and half. She perscibed me zoloft. She recommended I go see a therapist, but did not push when I told her I was uncomfortable with that. Don't put off getting help for yourself. You owe it to yourself to get your happy back. I am slowly getting my happy back after a very tramatic event which stole it from me. don't suffer anylonger. It can lead to other medical issues.

You deserve a future filled with sunshine not darkness.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Usualy an SSRI antidepressant. Sometimes, they will also prescribe a benzodiazepine tranquilizer to be taken "as needed" when you feel especialy anxious and tense. These can be habit forming, so they will usualy only be prescribed if an SSRI by it self doesnt cut it.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread