It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Overwhelmed, Can't get anything done - what's going on in my head?

I can't get anything done. I may sound like I'm exaggerating but I literally just work a few hours a month to make a lot of money and spend the rest of the month smoking cigs and listening to music. I wake up, walk out to drop some letters, and feel like I've accomplished enough for the day.

Many times I just find it very difficult to get out of bed. I'm awake, and I know the tasks I need to get done, but I can't actually bring myself to start doing any of them. Feeling overwhelmed, I just stay in bed.

Sometimes I wake up, eat, exercise, etc. Then I sit down to do work and can't get past a mental block.. I feel like I need to do just one more thing before I can begin working. OK I ate, I cleaned my desk, I'm ready to work..... after a cigarette .. cig ends and then I sit down and think OK I'm ready to work now.. I should take a nap to freshen up. etc

This "overwhelmed" feeling doesn't happen when the SSRIs kick in. I'm wondering what the neurobiology is behind this feeling. Is it a bad working memory? Is it anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User
Re: Overwhelmed, Can't get anything done - what's going on in my head?

Maybe your life is too much the same things everyday. Try something new. Go for a jog, or walk before you work, or add new activites to your daily life to spice things up. Fill your life with purposefull things and activities that you would want to do. Volluteer somewhere to help people or a cause. And accomplish things with other people, sometimes doing things all by yourself really puts a person in a un-motivational mood. hope that helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Can relate. I can do about one task a day and that is about it. If have to mail a letter, will wake up at about 1 pm, go to the PO box and do that. That is enough for the day..it is exhausting to do anything.

Lay theory is that it is related to the dopamine circuits and anticipation of reward. If you just find no reward in most everyday activities due to an underactive dopamine (pleasure) circuit, then it is logical that the effort expended to do a task outweighs the perceived benefit.

Not sure about working memory, but i procrastinate a lot, and sometimes anxiety plays a role - tasks in themselves can be anxiety provoking, because you have to make decisions.

Last edited by sunni123; 04-08-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Lord, if you were a female you could blame it on menopause. I feel the same way and that's my story and I'm sticking with it! Seriously, you got some really good replies such as taking a walk (if u can get yourself out of bed). I've always heard and come to believe that "helping others will help yourself more than anything."

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

BlueLagoon HB User

Wow, I SO get what you're saying! For the last nine years, I've slowly watched my industry and thus my business sinking into the mud. Then, a month ago, I met a new, smart person and we decided to start a business together. All of a sudden, I was gleefully working 17 hour days and feeling SO up and SO excited and SO positive! I'd sit down at 6 am and be SHOCKED when I looked up and saw it was suddenly dark outside! I felt like I had when I'd begun the failing business! I felt SO proud that I'd learned so much about business in the last 20 years that will be useful in the new one!

My suspicion in your situation is this: could it be that you're just plain old BORED with your career? At the peak of mine, I suddenly hated it. I got everything I had set as a goal, and then almost that very day, I just wanted a new challenge. Maybe if you just randomly started a baby business in a new field entirely, you'd find your passion returning? You've surely heard the business advice that there are people who start 'em and people who grow 'em. Maybe you're a starter, not a grower?

Closed Thread