It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Red face Ritalin for??????????

Depression? My doctor wants me to try Generic Ritalin XR for one month since allot of the AD I have been on have not worked well with my body.

Has anybody taken this for depression? I know it is for ADHD too.........and what has been your experience with it? Good, Bad, please ........

And as always ..............thank you

Old 04-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
(female)

delamelia HB User
Re: Ritalin for??????????

It is a stimulant and would in theory work to oppose depression but I am neither a chamist or doctor. I do know that I take an anti-depressant for my ADD (as opposed to a stimulant due to my "type" of ADD and body chemistry) and that every person reacts differently to every drug so unless there is a strong reason not to try it why not give it a chance? Apparently your doctor is trying to think out of the box as the traditional therapies have not worked and honestly, I give them kudos for it. Most are so set in a linear way of thinking that they can't think in an alternative solution to a problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

This is very true.......and thank YOU for your feedback....VERY TRUE!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

dash30 HB User

I have taken ritalin for ADHD before and in all honesty it only made my depression worse. It may work the opposite way for you though and I hope it does!

The Following User Says Thank You to dash30 For This Useful Post:
himmylover (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There is a general concenses that amphetamines such as ritalin dont help classic endrogenous depression, though they do help give you a "lift" and can help milder neurotic depression.

You have nothing to lose by giving it a try, and if it works, you have everything to gain.

It can make you feel a bit jittery for the first few days, try and persavere, because this soon passes off - try and stick with it for a couple of weeks before you decide the side effects are too bad, or that it doesnt work.

Have you tried taking an SSRI in combination with either Welbutrin or nortriptyline? These combos work on both seretonin and noradrenalin, so can deal a double blow to resistant depression

SSRI plus Welbutrin is somewhat stimulating, so is good in you are flat and lacking energy, where as an SSRI plus nortriptyline tends to be calming, and is good if you are anxious and tense

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 04-14-2011 at 09:11 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
himmylover (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You all are awesome. I will give it sometime..........just been a few days at a low dose........

Thank you all..............

Closed Thread