HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Doc prescribed Wellbutrin and its too expensive (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/849395-doc-prescribed-wellbutrin-its-too-expensive.html)

princesscol 05-12-2011 07:22 PM

Doc prescribed Wellbutrin and its too expensive

My doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin ans its $200 with my insurance. The generic is $10 but I've hears such horrible things about generics. Please help...I'm more discouraged than ever now. :(

jonnstar 05-13-2011 04:05 AM

Re: Doc prescribed Wellbutrin and its too expensive

get the generic, the FDA certifies that they are interchangable.

99.9 percent of people cant tell the difference.

princesscol 05-13-2011 06:45 AM

Are you sure? I've heard people say that the generic doesn't work well...I just don't want to start something and feel even worse. I wish I could just beat this depression myself but nothing is working. I have no motivation and I'm always crying at work. I just can't seem to get out of it myself and I feel so defeated. :(

jonnstar 05-17-2011 08:21 PM

People say a lot of things, but scientific eveidence says that the generics do work well for the vast majority of people. Gte your script filled and try it, it could turn your life around

It can take 2-4 weeks to get the full benifit of an antidepressant, so dont decide it isnt working and stop too soon, give it 4 weeks to prove it self.

bien 05-18-2011 02:05 PM

I thought the same thing. The proprietary drug was better than the generic.

Luckily, I had good drug coverage and I could have either one. I started with the generic and heard that the proprietary was better, so I switched.

Zero difference. Zero. Both acted just the same for me.

Iím sure there are folks that may find that the proprietary drug works better for them, but I suspect a good part of that is the power of auto-suggestion.

To me, they are equal.

Mookyjooky 05-30-2012 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=bien;4757659]I thought the same thing. The proprietary drug was better than the generic.

Luckily, I had good drug coverage and I could have either one. I started with the generic and heard that the proprietary was better, so I switched.

Zero difference. Zero. Both acted just the same for me.

Iím sure there are folks that may find that the proprietary drug works better for them, but I suspect a good part of that is the power of auto-suggestion.

To me, they are equal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "Power of Auto-Suggestion" is what caused the chest pains, dark urine and itching/hives.

Instead of listening to people who believe that whats good for them is good for the world... just simply take the cheap one first.

If it works for you, stick with it - if it doesn't or you have an allergic reaction to it, then you'll have to make some choices like I did.