It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
(male)

Evhuffm HB User
Lamictal for Depression and Anxiety

Wow, this has been a mess!
I've been diagnosed with bipolar-depression.
The firsts med I was given was Zoloft. For a short period of time it helped tremendously, I felt so great. A few weeks later it seemed as if it stopped working. I didn't want to deal with it anymore so my physiciatrist had me take Effexor. I had to let it build up for a couple weeks, and when it was about time for me to be feeling the effects, there was nothing. I just felt like I got more upset about things. So, after another trip to the physiciatrist, I was put back on Zoloft at a different dosage. OOPS. Horrible idea. Coming off the effexor was horrible, and I started to have enormous anxiety and panic attacks, to the point where I lost my job! I mean horrible. I have had anxiety attacks occasionally throughout my life and they seemed to go away after about 2 weeks or so after having them.
So after waiting a million years to get back into the physiciatrist he said it's time to try something different. He realized I have been treated for unipolar-depression instead. He prescribed Lamictal(lamotrigine) a mood stabilizing medicine, and then a benzo for when I get anxiety attacks. I'm really skeptical about this working because I'm really never happy. Ever. And when I have been, it's been the very few times I've been on those anti-depressants.. Also I'm scared it will increase my anxiety..
If anyone has had similar experiences, or know anything about Lamictal and how it works with depression and anxiety, then PLEASE post! I need some hope. It would help out so much. Thanks!

-Evan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Lamictal for Depression and Anxiety

Hey Evan sorry it's been so rough on you. There is a BiPolar Board here on this site that is awesome, lots of folks to give support. I'm actually one of them, Hi, I'm kat and I was DX'd BP 24 yrs. ago. Treating BP is not the same as treating unipolar or regular depression, it's more complicated, and difficult to get the meds right. It usually take a few goes at the pdoc, and unfortunately since these meds are what we call "test-drivers" you have to use them for a bit to see if they work. Lamictal is an excellent BP med it's pretty new, has low side effects, and has shown great effectiveness. Lamcital is the Lithium of the 90's.... Usually it's prescribed along with an antidepressant, but your pdoc is probably waiting to see how it works on you. Your anxiety should be lessened via the anti-anxiety he RX'd you. The only thing you have to watch for with Lamictal is "the rash". I'm sure your pdoc told you about this. One very dangerous side effect of Lamictal is a rash that can be deadly or life threatening. So just be sure and check your body morning and evening for any signs of a rash during the first few days of taking it, if one develops stops the pills and call your pdoc asap.

Like I said there is a great BiPolar Board here and we'd love to see you there.

Take care,
kat

Closed Thread