It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

kcpie HB User
New to Abilify. Question and comments

Hi all,

I recently started counseling for anger management/irritability. My psychologist suggested I ask my pdoc for Abilify (which has helped in the pass due to depression), as she feels this med along with therapy will help.

Has anyone taken this med for irritability due to depression? (her diagnosis). If so, did it help?

The abilify makes me nauseous and gives me a headache. Hopefully both will subside. I'm on 5 mg once a day.

Thank you for listening/responding

K

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

Zogs HB User
Re: New to Abilify. Question and comments

I have major depression with agitation. I took Abilify for almost a year, and I found it to be very helpful. I was on 10mg after titration, and I had NO agitation or "angry episodes" while I was on it. I did, however, have INSANE carbohydrate cravings and gained a lot of weight while on it, but that's a side effect of a lot of the anti-psychotics. I stopped taking it because of the weight gain. Right now I am looking for something else that will keep me as calm as I was on Abilify - the only other drug that came close was Lamictal, but I was allergic to that.

The early side effects will pass, and you will definitely see a difference! My agitation is HORRIBLE, and I am also prone to hypomania...I was almost normal on Abilify. I can't say enough good things about it.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I have the Agitation TOO and it is Horrible!! I would also like to know what works for anyone. Pristiq helps my agitation but used to make me sleepy not giving me anxiety since I went off for a couple months then back on...just not the same. Dr wants me to try Lexapro...the med train never ends.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: fusionqueen
Zogs (06-29-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to fusionqueen For This Useful Post:
Zogs (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

Zogs HB User

It's true, the med train never ends!

I hated Lexapro. It made me really tired, and I never felt like I was out of the deep, dark pit. Effexor worked wonders for me, though.

It's weird how these drugs effect everyone so differently....

The Following User Says Thank You to Zogs For This Useful Post:
fusionqueen (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

Zogs Are you stll taking the effexor? If, so do you have a hard time losing weight with it? I'm on 75 mg effexor xr.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Lexapro/Celexa are the exact same meds marketed under different laboratories. They are very safe anti-d's, low side effects, not weight gaining. I've taken Lexapro for 4 years and I've never had a problem with it, I take it for Severe BiPolar Depression.

kat

Closed Thread