It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User
Questions...

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between being dx with Major mood disorder and depression? I finally went to get help today and the dr dx me with MMD, she also said while depression can go away major mood disorders don't.

I'm confused, I really thought this was depression or PTSD. What should I ask to get an easy explanation about this? any info on what this means is greatly appreciated and I'll ask questions when I go back next week.

I know I've had depression problems my entire life; esp mood swings that worsened in the past 2 years but I just thought it was depression related.

When I look up major mood disorder, I get a ton of things like depression, manic/depressive, bi polar etc with no real information on what this means.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickandtired99 View Post
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between being dx with Major mood disorder and depression?.
Hello sickandtired99,

Major depressive episode is characterized by the presence of the majority of these symptoms:

1)Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report or observation made by others.
2)Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day
3)Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day
4)Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
5)Psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day
6)Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
7)Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day
8)Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day
9)Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

Criteria for depression includes experiencing 5 or more of these symptoms within a two week period:

1. Depressed Mood
2. Decreased Interest or Pleasure
3. Weight Changes
4. Sleep Disturbances
5. Psychomotor Agitation or Retardation
6. Fatigue
7. Feelings of Worthlessness or Guilt
8. "Brain Fog"
9. Thoughts of Death

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-13-2011 at 05:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
sickandtired99 (07-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User

thank you; is that what it's called medically though Major Mood Disorder or is there something else I need to ask specifically for my dr - like is this Bi Polar, depression, etc?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
thank you; is that what it's called medically though Major Mood Disorder or is there something else I need to ask specifically for my dr - like is this Bi Polar, depression, etc?
sickandtired99,

You're welcome.

It seems to be categorized as Major Depressive episode,unless she is inferring that you have a severe form of of another mood disorder.

The four basic forms of mood disorders are major depression, cyclothymia (a mild form of bipolar disorder), SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and mania (euphoric feeling, hyperactive ideations, over inflated ego and/or unrealistic optimism).

Next visit, I would respectfully ask her,for Major Mood Disorder is defined as Major Depressive Disorder in the DSM-IV).

If she asks why are you so concerned,explain that you would like to be better educated as to your specific disorder,in the hopes that the two of you will be able to communicate information at an optimal level.

OR...........

I just need to know exactly what I have,for i've done some research and the info is a little vague.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-13-2011 at 05:32 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
sickandtired99,

You're welcome.

It seems to be categorized as Major Depressive Disorder,unless she is inferring that you have a severe form of of another mood disorder.

The four basic forms of mood disorders are major depression, cyclothymia (a mild form of bipolar disorder), SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and mania (euphoric feeling, hyperactive ideations, over inflated ego and/or unrealistic optimism).

Next visit, I would respectfully ask her,for Major Mood Disorder is defined as Major Depressive Disorder in the DSM-IV).

If she asks why are you so concerned,explain that you would like to be better educated as to your specific disorder,in the hopes that the two of you will be able to communicate information at an optimal level.

OR...........

I just need to know exactly what I have,for i've done some research and the info is a little vague.

Respectfully
Phoenix
Thanks so much, that does make sense and I will ask; I was just trying to understand what she was saying. She ticked me off with some of her questions and trying to provoke me to get mad - I guess she wanted to see how I reacted.

I'm going to look up Major depressive disorder because the others I don't think I have and she did mention I didn't have regular depression which could go away.

She'll understand I want more information and to research things; thanks for the suggestions.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

What the other poster put up is what is called a depressive episode. In order for major depressive disorder a person needs to experience five or more depressive disorder within a two week period and at least one of the symptoms of depressed mood or loss of interest.

The new DSM is suppose to clarify the symptoms and the disorders so chances are it will change again
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
What the other poster put up is what is called a depressive episode. In order for major depressive disorder a person needs to experience five or more depressive disorder within a two week period and at least one of the symptoms of depressed mood or loss of interest.

The new DSM is suppose to clarify the symptoms and the disorders so chances are it will change again
thanks for the info; is that 5 or more of the things Phoenix listed previously? if so, yup that's what I have...tried to hide it all my life, run from it and ignore it until I hit up against a wall and now there's no where else to go but face the facts and get help.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

sickandtired99,

After careful research with the DSM-IV TR, I must state that trg247 is correct.

I researched on the web,from what I thought to be a host of reputable sites.

Definitely learned a lesson here.

Next time I will refer directly from the manual.

Please realize that my intent was not to mislead.

From now on,I'll stick to what I know;from experience and expressing the abstract.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
sickandtired99 (07-14-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Basically the goal of the DSM is to give doctors a sort of checklist for each mental illness. With depression there are a ton of people who get depressed but what the DSM is trying to do is distinguish between someone with depression that is likely to pass on its own to those with major depressive disorder which needs more help in order to overcome.

What your doctor is looking for is a pattern of depression so if you have more bad days than good days than chances are it is major depressive disorder.

A depressive episode is having a number of the symptoms listed on the list that Phoenix provided within a twenty four hour period. If you have five of these episodes within a fourteen day period then it points to major depressive disorder.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

The Following User Says Thank You to trg247 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
sickandtired99,

After careful research with the DSM-IV TR, I must state that trg247 is correct.

I researched on the web,from what I thought to be a host of reputable sites.

Definitely learned a lesson here.

Next time I will refer directly from the manual.

Please realize that my intent was not to mislead.

From now on,I'll stick to what I know;from experience and expressing the abstract.

Respectfully
Phoenix
thank you, dont worry about anything what you put was fine and I looked up some stuff after your post...this is all new and I'm trying to find my way around what I'm dealing with so any help is much appreciated...because you reached out to post me I felt better knowing someone at least cared that I'm here.

The following user gives a hug of support to sickandtired99:
Phoenix (07-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sickandtired99 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
Basically the goal of the DSM is to give doctors a sort of checklist for each mental illness. With depression there are a ton of people who get depressed but what the DSM is trying to do is distinguish between someone with depression that is likely to pass on its own to those with major depressive disorder which needs more help in order to overcome.

What your doctor is looking for is a pattern of depression so if you have more bad days than good days than chances are it is major depressive disorder.

A depressive episode is having a number of the symptoms listed on the list that Phoenix provided within a twenty four hour period. If you have five of these episodes within a fourteen day period then it points to major depressive disorder.
thanks for all the info, from what I read and looked over; it seems I have Bi Polar depression - had it all my life if I'm honest with myself which has worsened over the past 2 years to extreme.

going to talk to my dr when I see her next and research a bit more. thanks again

Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
thank you, dont worry about anything what you put was fine and I looked up some stuff after your post...this is all new and I'm trying to find my way around what I'm dealing with so any help is much appreciated...because you reached out to post me I felt better knowing someone at least cared that I'm here.
sickandtired99,

Truth be told, I'm a sensitive individual with depression,trust issues (the list goes on and on).

Certain sites that i've used for years have been accurate and extremely helpful,with information posted by physicians in the know.

I suppose that unintentional mistakes can be made,even by them.

Thanks for your kind words.

It means a lot.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
(female)

you're welcome =) we're all in this together right? if I can help even 1 person along the way it makes me feel better and knowing you took the time to try and help me means alot to me.

This is all so confusing...I don't want to admit I have a problem; in my mind it means I'm weak in some way and I've never been that. BUT I'm finding it really doesn't mean I'm weak; that's just my twisted sense of understanding that it does and a way for me to not seek help.

I need to give myself some slack and just treat my mental health like my physical health, but it's so difficult to do. I have a hard time relying on others, my husband kids family or friends because one of the places I lived always reminded me "how much" they did for me and how much I was obligated to them, so at 16 I went out on my own and eventually got married the first time wayyyy too young at 17 and then divorced after 12 years and a few years later met a wonderful man who's stuck with me and helped me through the past 14 years.

My poor family has had to endure me for too many years with my mood swings and me not wanting to admit I had a problem or seek help. 2 years ago my primary gave me Lexapro which did nothing so I thought that meant I had no problems...I was completely wrong - my moods worsened to where sometimes I just lay in bed hoping to die and be done with the pain and suffering my body's put me through with all my health issues.

thanks again and please share with me if you need someone to listen =)

Closed Thread