It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

silverjay HB User
Unhappy Terrible rages after (and during) coming off Zoloft!!

Hi, I wondered if anyone has had the terrible rages that I have experienced while coming off Zoloft? I was on 100mg a day for 10 years and I decided that I wanted to come off them. My doctor agreed, as I am not normally depressive, in fact I am normally the complete opposite - it only started since the beginnings of an early menopause. My doctor just left me on Zoloft. Anyway, I came off them gradually, as my doctor instructed me to, but i started vomiting and having such awful side effects that I quickly went back on them. I then decided to do it very gradually 12.5mg less a week. My doctor thought this totally unnecessary and actually laughed at me for doing it so gradually. She insisted that Zoloft does not cause any addiction problems.

I have now been off Zoloft for 4 months, but the side effects are, in part, still there, and are destroying my life. I am finding the terrible rages, which are virtually uncontrollable, the most frightening of all and they could cost me my marriage. My husband has had enough and says he wants the person he used to know and not this awful person. I will not go back on this drug, as I am shocked by what it has done to me. I no longer have the nausea and vomiting, shaking, headaches, trembling. and the waking in the night with feelings of real terror for no reason whatsoever, but I do still have the memory problems (which are bad), weight gain and the terrible rages. Is there any hope for me? Do these rages go away eventually. Has anyone else had such severe symptoms? I am frightened by the way this drug has ruined my life. I am seriously thinking of moving out of my home and leaving my family, as I cannot put them through any more. They are beginning to dislike me and I don't blame them. I have always been a calm, even tempered person, who was always laughing ......until the menopause began and I got depression. People frequently commented on how easygoing and fun I was to be around .... not anymore.

I am feeling desperate, NOT depressed, just desperate, as I don't know what the future holds or if there is anything I can do to help myself.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: silverjay
CoaCoa Mama (07-20-2011), jacq42 (10-04-2011), ketara5 (07-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: Terrible rages after (and during) coming off Zoloft!!

YES I know exactly what your talking about. The Rages are HORRIBLE and always put me back on something as I can not take it and neither can my family. I have read this can last MONTHS! I think you need a new DR! I also commented in a thread I wonder how these meds "change" our brain chemistry. I too was the happiest go lucky person till hit with panic the day after the birth of my second child 17 years ago. Since then every med out there...some worked some did not...went 3 years with out anything then became "depressed" after my daughter became very ill. Since then I can not get off anything with out feeling like killing something! Do some google searches...also you were on it for a long time so the withdrawls will take much longer for you. Keep us in the loop on how your doing and maybe as for xanax or clonopin to take the edge off.

The Following User Says Thank You to fusionqueen For This Useful Post:
silverjay (09-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
(female)

ketara5 HB User

Please go see another doctor!!!!! I'm down to 100mg of zoloft per day, and hoping to come off of it sometime in the near future. I have noticed if I miss a day or two dosage, I am very quick to anger. (Ok, I've always had a short temper, but when I miss, it's not short...it's zero to anger!) Second opinions are NEVER a bad thing. I know you want to be done with medications, but maybe there is something else they can give you to help even out the withdrawl symptoms you still seem to have.

Don't let a doc tell you you are being silly or anything else. They may have the degree, but you know what is going on in your body and how it makes you feel. A good doc will take that into account when treating you!!!!!

Best of luck, and keep us posted. I hope you find relief soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketara5 For This Useful Post:
fusionqueen (07-20-2011), silverjay (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
(female)

silverjay HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate it and I apologise for not replying earlier. I had checked for replies a couple of times and then assumed that no one was going to reply. Sorry!

I have been trying to make sure that I have as little stress in my life as possible, so as not to provoke any rages! It does help but is not always practical in todays world! I can only hope that these rages will diminish over time as my brain HOPEFULLY starts to readjust to doing without the drug. I agree about changing my doctor and am going to do that, as she is not very sympathetic. She just does not understand. I can see that she thinks I am exaggerating these symptoms. Why on earth she would think that I would want to waste time doing this, I cannot imagine.

I am so frightened of trying any other anti depression drug, to help the rages, in case I get stuck on THAT, too! I just want to go back to being the person I was for most of my life, apart from the time I went through the menopause and my body was having to reajust. I just wish I had stuck it out then and not turned to anti depressants to help me through the change. I had no idea that these drugs could do this to you.

Thanks again for your kind replies.

xx

Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

silverjay HB User

Hi

Just thought I would update my post. Unfortunately, things are very bad. The rages seem to be more and more frequent the past couple of weeks. It is just so awful. Today has been so bad and now I am just crying and crying. I feel suicidal. I don't want to go back onto drugs and that is exactly what will happen if I go to the GP. The thought of going through all the other withdrawal symptoms again it unbearable. Doctors really do not want to acknowledge what these drugs do to you if you try and come off them. I feel so hopeless. I am so angry to have had my personality changed by a drug when, for all of my life previous to taking the drug for a short term problem caused by hormonal imbalance, I was a happy, relaxed person who never let things get them down. People always joked about how easy going and positive I was and how I coped so easily with life's ups and downs. Now I am unrecognizable as that person and my family really don't enjoy being around me at all. I see it in their eyes and it hurts so much. I don't blame then, as I hate the way I am too. I really don't know why I am writing this as it is all so miserable. I suppose I want to warn everyone about this drug - it is not a quick fix. It is potentially as dangerous as depressionn and it is destroying me.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

silverjay HB User

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update on how I am doing. I was so bad the last time I posted and I did not want to leave on that negative note. I have good news. The rages are starting to go!!!! I am SO relieved. I do still have them occasionally, but I am far better than before. I am more able to control myself, which I wasn't able to do before. I am doing everything I can to help myself as well. When I feel the rage starting I immediately do something calming and relaxing even though it may not be convenient. I am fortunate as I am at home so am able to do this. I have also started to take large doses of Omega fish oil and I bought a brain nutrient supplement, which I take daily. I feel that this, together with the normal multivitamins and minerals I take every day, is helping me. I also take Vit C 100mg every day (slow release tablets). I am certainly not back to what I used to be, but I am a lot better and feel more positive about getting better, even though it may take a long time.

My new doctor was amazed to hear about the problems of coming of SSRIs!! He had never heard of it before!! I think that they believe what they are told by the drug companies and THEY are not going to admit that coming off these drugs can be an awful experience. I will keep updating when there is a change, just in case it may help someone in the same position as myself.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

silverjay HB User

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update on how I am doing. I was so bad the last time I posted and I did not want to leave on that negative note. I have good news. The rages are starting to go!!!! I am SO relieved. I do still have them occasionally, but I am far better than before. I am more able to control myself, which I wasn't able to do before. I am doing everything I can to help myself as well. When I feel the rage starting I immediately do something calming and relaxing even though it may not be convenient. I am fortunate as I am at home so am able to do this. I have also started to take large doses of Omega fish oil and I bought a brain nutrient supplement, which I take daily. I feel that this, together with the normal multivitamins and minerals I take every day, is helping me. I also take Vit C 100mg every day (slow release tablets). I am certainly not back to what I used to be, but I am a lot better and feel more positive about getting better, even though it may take a long time.

My new doctor was amazed to hear about the problems of coming off SSRIs!! He had never heard of it before!! I think that they believe what they are told by the drug companies and THEY are not going to admit that coming off these drugs can be an awful experience. I will keep updating when there is a change, just in case it may help someone in the same position as myself.

Closed Thread