It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

sonnycor HB User
Vilazodone or Viibryd

I just came back from the doctor and he gave me a trial of this. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I have tried Wellbutrin (made me nervous), zoloft, makes me sleepy and gained weight. Lexapro- made me sleepy and gained weight. I know this is a new drug and it's hard to find out much about it.

Does anyone take it and have you had any luck?

Thanks,

Tammy

Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: Vilazodone or Viibryd

Never heard of it...can you share more about what class of med it is ect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User

I became interested in Vibryd when I read about it on a Fibromyalgia board I belong to. I work in a doctor's office and asked the Forrest drug representative about it and it sounded really promising to me, even though it is so new. It is one of the anti-depressant/anxiety drugs that was not tried in Europe first. He said that Viibryd is an SSRI that works a little different than others, in that in addition to keep more of the Serotonin already in your system, but it is supposed to help your brain make more Serotonin by working on the 5HTP receptors. The fact that it is said to have less sexual side effects than other SSRI's, made it especially interesting to me. I mainly struggle with anxiety in addition to some depression, and haven't cared for most depression/anxiety meds that I have tried in the past and I usually go off of them after a short time, even if they helped my anxiety, because they ruin my sexual ability. I have been trying Lexapro for the last two weeks, but asked my doctor about Viibryd because of this issue. I take my first dose tonight, it is 10 mg from the starter pack and will see how it goes. On my insurance it is said to be a tier 3 drug, but if you order through the mail rx program it goes to a tier 2. I will take it with dinner tonight and see how it goes. I expect the main issue will be gastro, mainly nausea and the medicine needs to be taken with food because it helps it metabolize. So I will keep posting about it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILoveFrogs For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-12-2012), fusionqueen (08-06-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User

Day 2 of Viibryd...10 mg dosage. No strange feelings other than feeling a little shakey. Since I have been taking it at dinnertime, that is not a problem. No nausea or headache which is good.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

ILOVEFROGS...How are you doing? I want to ask my DR about this med on Thursday. Hope your feeling great!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

Prevarications HB User

Today was my 8th day with Viibryd. This was my first 20mg tablet, but I must say that after one week of being on it I love it!

The first couple of days I had a very bad experience with stomach pains, and diarrhea, but that was my own fault. I did not know that the medication was supposed to be taken with food. And since I have started eating breakfast with it I feel much, much better. I was also noticing some tiredness with this medication, but my body has adjusted to it over the week. But I am also on a prescription for Valium at this time, and I know that this will also make me very tired.

I was prescribed Viibryd for a very unexpected miscarriage that I suffered 2 weeks ago. My depression, and anxiety just spiraled out of control. But Viibryd seems to be doing it's job in getting me back together.

My 9 year old daughter even laughed with me and called me goofy yesterday for the first time in as long as I can remember! :0)

In the past I have tried Zoloft, and Wellbutrin. The Zoloft did nothing for me. I have been on the Wellbutrin for 3 years now but after the miscarriage I needed a change, and so far Viibryd has been a miracle for me.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

kgayle1971 HB User

I have been on it for a month and have noticed no side effects. It seems to be working well. I have been on every antidepressant known, so my doc is hopeful this newest one will work for me.

If anyone can give me more info on paying a tier 2 cost through mail order, that would be great. It's going to cost me $50/month through my insurance.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

Prevarications HB User

Today was day 16 for me. Day 2 of the 40 mg dosage. I am starting to notice the same stomach cramping, and pains that I was having in the begining before I realized that I needed to eat with this medication. This is only the 2nd day that I have had this pain since beginning so I think that I might try amping up my breakfast in take to see if that helps at all. Normally I am not a big breakfast person, so I have been getting by with just eating a banana on the lower doses, but I might have to change that up a bit now.

Last night I found myself having a real difficult time falling asleep. I cannot think of anything that I would have done differently that may have caused that, so we will see if I have that same problem again tonight. I will keep everyone posted.

Other than that I am slowly starting to see small changes in myself from a day to day basis. Right after the miscarriage I had totally shut myself down. Now I am slowly seeing myself reaching out for people that the anxiety had closed me off from. I am still a long ways from walking across the street to sit with my friend and just talk with her like I did before, but at least I feel comfortable enough to text, and talk on Facebook with her again.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
(male)

retired70 HB User

I am on third week of Viibryd at 10 mg. Staying on 10 mg until side effects subside. Besides bad dreams my worst problem is lightheadedness. Anyone on this product long enough to when these problems dissipate?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
(female)

Prevarications HB User

I have been on Viibryd for 20 days now. I am on day 5 of the 40mg tablets. I did not start noticing the bad dreams until I started the 40 mg strength. Yesterday morning I awoke by sitting right up in my bed because I thought that heard my daughter screaming, but then I realized that they were not even home, and I was in the house by myself. I never had any lightheadedness with any of the doses. I wish that I could help you more.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
(male)

retired70 HB User

Thank you for your comment. I have some old man problems and the info says that depletion of sodium might happen on viibryd, especially old folks. So I have been taking salt several times a day and it helps. Will be calling doctor tomorrow or Tuesday to see what his opinion is.

Last edited by retired70; 08-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
(female)

bondgrll HB User

i just started this med three days ago starting with the 5mg.....I have anxiety and a bit of depression stemming from the suicide of my four sons father. How has your response been?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
(female)

Prevarications HB User

I was in to see my doctor just yesterday afternoon for medjcation for an ear infection, but he also used this as a time to review with me the effects of the Viibryd so far. He could not have been more surprised to see me smiling, and so much full of life just 3 weeks after my miscarriage. I feel so different already, and I have only been on the 40 mg full strength dosage for this medication for 1 week now. But I actually feel happy again. I feel happy in the morning, I feel happy when I am plying with my girls, and I am happy at night. This medication has taken me from thoughts of hurting myself three weeks ago, to waking up every day with a smile on my face.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
(male)

retired70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondgrll View Post
i just started this med three days ago starting with the 5mg.....I have anxiety and a bit of depression stemming from the suicide of my four sons father. How has your response been?
I am quitting Viibryd. Taking the salt helped some with the dizzy spells, but I felt drugged all the time. I don't believe anybody would want to be on the street the same time I was driving. Not a good situation. I took 8 mg per day for 3 to 4 weeks with no improvement. Disappointed. Oh well. As the man said, "That's the way the rookie fumbles"

Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
(male)

pelachsia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired70 View Post
I am quitting Viibryd. Taking the salt helped some with the dizzy spells, but I felt drugged all the time. I don't believe anybody would want to be on the street the same time I was driving. Not a good situation. I took 8 mg per day for 3 to 4 weeks with no improvement. Disappointed. Oh well. As the man said, "That's the way the rookie fumbles"
8 mg per day? Viibryd doesn't come in 8 mg. Can you correct a possible mistake in dosage?

Closed Thread