It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

Love2Run9485 HB User
Prozac vs Wellbutrin XL

I've battled depression on and off through my life and find that lately, I just have a hard time finding joy in the things I usually enjoy and don't have the motivation and energy to make the changes I truly want. I have my good moments, but then I have an overwhelming emptiness. I'm sure lifestyle changes need to be a big part of it (although I can't control the actions of others and have been hurt a lot by close friends lately), but I'm wondering if medication would be good for me again. I do take Xanax for anxiety on an as-needed basis and just started taking a low dosage (.25 mg) every night for muscle spasms in my neck that have been constant for 7 months (another thing I'm trying to work out - wondering if my stress/feelings need to improve first).

I have taken Prozac before and overall liked it. I didn't feel wonderful or anything, but I felt a little better. I guess I could say I was less sensitive and wouldn't feel hurt so easily and take things as personal. It gave me acid reflux, which was fixed by only taking it at night since even water would bother me. Other than that, the main side effect was that I felt a little "out of it" and like I was floating when driving, which was distracting. I stopped taking it after a while because I didn't feel much different overall. I would be willing to try it again if it would be the best bet.

I'm very interested in Wellbutrin XL because of the increased energy. I'm tired quite often, especially with the pains I feel. I did read that Prozac can help with chronic pains and wasn't sure if Wellbutrin could do this by chance. I also like that weight gain is uncommon. I was lucky to not gain weight on Prozac (stayed the same), but I absolutely do not want to take anything that frequently causes weight gain. I had body image troubles in the past and still have my moments, and I would say I was at risk for developing an eating disorder. Definitely don't want to go there!

If anyone can offer any advice on a comparison of these two, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread