It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Question manic depression vs Bipolar vs clinical depression

Hi all please can someone help me figure this out? I've tried to research as much as I can but I just end up being more confused,as always any help is always much appreciated.
I've been depressed since the age of nine,since then I've had a diagnosis of clinical depression and most recently manic depression,when I've been reading apparently this is now Bipolar.
I'm due to see my psychiatrist in two weeks and I like to have a bit of knowledge before I go.
So what is clinical depression?and is it different to manic depression? Also is it true that bipolar has replaced the term manic depression?
I've also other mental health issues but they are mainly anxiety related and I totally understand them.
Please anyone?
Take care
Jacq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: manic depression vs Bipolar vs clinical depression

Hi,
As you say that you are going to the psychiatrist in a few days, think about what triggers your spells of depression, how your life is in general, what makes you happy and what makes you feel down. Be honest with him/her as much as you can. Let us know how it goes. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

Question Re: manic depression vs Bipolar vs clinical depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenobserver View Post
Hi,
As you say that you are going to the psychiatrist in a few days, think about what triggers your spells of depression, how your life is in general, what makes you happy and what makes you feel down. Be honest with him/her as much as you can. Let us know how it goes. Thanks
Hi thanks for the reply,I would definitely say I'm depressed eighty percent of the time and literally anything can trigger my mood swings for example one song can make me feel high for a day or someone looking at me the wrong way can cause me to be suicidal,it honestly can be the smallest things.
I told the psychiatrist this last time and have completed a five month mood diary at his request
Even though I was suicidal when I was there and it was the last thing I needed I was begging for help!
I'm now experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations which I believe is due to been left without the correct treatment especially medication wise,I mean cmon sertraline?
Sorry to ramble on I just wanted to share my experience and try to understand what these past diagnosis mean
Thanks for reading
Jacq

Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have to go through so much. It seems like you want something big in your life like a companion who will be there for you when you need him/her, just for emotional support i mean. Simple things like watching TV and listening to music helps you which I think is good but could also mean that you go through times when there is nothing in your mind or nothing interests you.
Something must have happened when you were 9 for you to have depression for such a long time. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to keenobserver For This Useful Post:
jacq42 (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have to go through so much. It seems like you want something big in your life like a companion who will be there for you when you need him/her, just for emotional support i mean. Simple things like watching TV and listening to music helps you which I think is good but could also mean that you go through times when there is nothing in your mind or nothing interests you.
Something must have happened when you were 9 for you to have depression for such a long time. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Hi thanks for responding again I appreciate it.
Yes you are correct I was bullied not physically but mentally from around the age of 7 years old and I do believe this was the start of my problems,however I did have attachment issues also,I used to cry for my mam when she dropped me off at school,this was for around 4 years solid,I just hated to be away from her?
I do have a companion I'm so lucky I've a really supportive husband whom I've been married to for 13 years he is also my full time carer,without his constant encouragement and love I would not be here today,I've also got a shih tzu dog who I adore.
I used to read constantly and also studied psychology, psychiatry and english literature but I haven't the short term memory nor the concentration to do it anymore which saddens me as it was my only hobby,and I love music but whatever songs I listen to seem to trigger my mood either due to the lyrics or a distant memory good or bad will come back.
Thank you for everything
Jacq

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
(female)

Ayria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB User

Manic Depression and Bi-Polar are the same. Clinical depression can be described as a black cloud over your head all the time. It can be very debilitating. Manic Depression is on a completely different wavelength, while you will suffer with periods of depression you will also suffer with mania, which can be troubling for people around you, people suffering with mania feel on a high, generally have a lot more self confidence and struggle to sleep or do not sleep much at all.

Both are treated completely different. I find it best to write what your days are like, and if you believe you are more towards being bi polar, incidents and moments which seem related.

Good luck with your psych.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ayria For This Useful Post:
jacq42 (09-25-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,
I think you have managed to live your life in a way that overcomes the depression. Having your husband around has made you very happy or very secure but there is still something filling your thoughts. You say you were mentally bullied, was it by school or people at your home? It seems to me that the memory and the reaction of the memory is quite strong, possibly made your life turn in a way where it is difficult to forget about it or make it affect the way you feel because of it.
What probably will help you every day is knowing that no matter how awful things get during the course of a day, you have a loving and caring husband. Perhaps you can try to fulfill your husband's requirements, ie support his emotional needs. I am sure at times he gets a bit tired but it is just my opinion.
I think having a husband who will be your carer is a problem because he is attached to all the problems you have had in the past. Hope I am wrong about this but perhaps there is something you can discuss with your psychiatrist.
Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Hi,
I think you have managed to live your life in a way that overcomes the depression. Having your husband around has made you very happy or very secure but there is still something filling your thoughts. You say you were mentally bullied, was it by school or people at your home? It seems to me that the memory and the reaction of the memory is quite strong, possibly made your life turn in a way where it is difficult to forget about it or make it affect the way you feel because of it.
What probably will help you every day is knowing that no matter how awful things get during the course of a day, you have a loving and caring husband. Perhaps you can try to fulfill your husband's requirements, ie support his emotional needs. I am sure at times he gets a bit tired but it is just my opinion.
I think having a husband who will be your carer is a problem because he is attached to all the problems you have had in the past. Hope I am wrong about this but perhaps there is something you can discuss with your psychiatrist.
Thanks
Hi thank you for the replies,yes you are right my husband does get tired but I also forget to mention I also have a support worker daily who helps me and gives him a break but there's still the guilt I feel because of his ongoing responsibilities with me.
It was junior school where the bullying took place so when I started high school I went in with the I don't take crap off no one attitude,and I've tried to keep it up even now.
I also have two children who despite all of this are stable and well adjusted kids of course they don't know about the depression they think I'm sad due to pain but they are fully aware of my physical disabilities,I did not want them growing up knowing this as being qualified in child psychology I know the effects of parents behaviours etc (if I get started on this topic I will be writing forever) however when they are older I will truthfully answer any of their questions.
My mother is a main factor in my mental health I've always denied it but she's so controlling and always interferes in my family life often putting me down due to my health which of course I can't change,I'm seriously considering cutting all ties with her?
Thanks for your on going support
Much appreciated
Jacq

The following user gives a hug of support to jacq42:
kjcolmo (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seems like you are very smart, using your psychology to do the best for your children. What is important though is for you to interact with your children, be a part of their daily life. I did not realise btw that you had some physical illness issues along with your depression.
I think cutting ties with family is very tempting and should be a genuine prospect. However it does not solve your issues at present. I think this is where your psychiatrist should help, s/he should recommend the correct cognitive behavioural therapy to enable you to think of a way forward without falling into depressive spells. Think about other hobbies that you can develop further as well. Could be very good.
Thanks

jacq42 (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Seems like you are very smart, using your psychology to do the best for your children. What is important though is for you to interact with your children, be a part of their daily life. I did not realise btw that you had some physical illness issues along with your depression.
I think cutting ties with family is very tempting and should be a genuine prospect. However it does not solve your issues at present. I think this is where your psychiatrist should help, s/he should recommend the correct cognitive behavioural therapy to enable you to think of a way forward without falling into depressive spells. Think about other hobbies that you can develop further as well. Could be very good.
Thanks
Hi believe it or not I'm qualified in many aspects of psychology,english literature and a trained Early Years Practitioner,all of which I studied and passed whilst the kids were babies,I wanted to achieve so much and I did until my epilepsy re appeared,then the ME,osteoarthritis amongst the depression etc,then it becomes frustrating because the memory and concentration goes,your brain is saying do it but my body will not respond.
I always interact with the kids,my eldest is always with his friends or at football and my youngest enjoys board games,drawing and anything creative which we do together and really enjoy, if I'm honest they are the reason I'm not hospitalised as I couldn't just vanish,if I go anywhere with my cousin they wonder where I am lol I love them so much and we always express our love, we say I love you with a hug and kiss everyday as I want them to be able to express their feelings.
I think that's good advice you've gave me about cutting ties,I will speak with the psychiatrist about it all and see what therapy is available.
Shame I can't figure my own mind out but its difficult applying psychology to yourself,you end up being more confused!
Thank you for your responses and advice I really needed someone to talk to today,you've been great
Take care
Jacq

Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well I think that you should be able to analyse yourself, after all everything I learnt about psychology is from my own experiences. The problem for you is that you have gone through a lot of things over a long period of time during your childhood which has made you think about things in a particular way. It also means that you see the world in a way which is very difficult to come out of.
Personally after a severe downfall in my life I started to see things in a particular way, accepted that life is much simpler alone and though I suffer from time to time I feel that it makes me live life much calmer than before even though sometimes I make a mess with others and I mean good friends. In all though I am always learning, enjoy the peace of not being forced to do particular things and have a stable mood normally. For the times where I struggle, I feel that perhaps some form of help will be useful. I did get help btw among all this to further assist me through my life.
Hope this information helps. Thanks

jacq42 (09-26-2011)
Closed Thread