It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

Frustr8ed84 HB User
In a slump

Hello. I'm a 27 year old female and I am constantly in a slump. I have no energy to do anything. I've recently gained weight and while still heathy and thin looking to others I hate myself. Nothing fits and I am so uncomfortable in my own skin. I cover myself with large sweaters at work and would rather stay at home in my pajamas than socialize with friends (my boyfriend is currently at a Halloween party and I opted to stay home because It's stressful to find something to wear.) my skin is also another issue I am constantly breaking out or it's red from rosacea. I am so disgusted with myself that I've given up with trying to make it better. I wish I could find the motivation to work out but I find an excuse every time. I have anxiety about going to the gym on my own. I am afraid to walk alone at the school or on my road.. I worry too much what people think of me. My friends have moved 2 or more hours away and I feel so lonely. I have a wonderful boyfriend and a great job but I'm afraid I could ruin that with my poor self esteem and lack of energy. I'm afraid to try medication because of all the side effects and therapy hasnt worked for me because I'm embarrassed to tell them my problems. Is there anything herbal I can take to boost moral or any pointers anyone can give?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: In a slump

Hi,
To me it seems like you have a boyfriend you like but are scared to tell him how you feel. How long have you felt the way you do? Usually people go through the same things you have mentioned when they suffer a loss of some sort. Doing nothing to get yourself out of your mess will keep you in the mess and unless you realise why you feel the way you do, you will be stuck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello Frustr8ed84. Have you tried joining a support group for people suffering from depression/anxiety? If not, it may be easier to talk about your problems knowing the other people in the room are going through problems similar to your own.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

Have you been tested for other problems like thyroid? I think you need a full blood work up to see if that's what's causing your weight gain and fatigue.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

Frustr8ed84 HB User

I was tested a year ago for my thyroid. Everything came back normal. I've talked to my boyfriend about feeling depressed but he doesn't understand because he is overly confident and doesn't dwell on things. He doesn't get why i can't bounce back as quick as he does. The only loss I've had in the past year was my 47 year old aunt to breast cancer. I haven't been able to cope with why she was not going for yearly check ups or taking care of herself when she has 4 teen daughters that need her. I often wish it was me since I have no dependents. I know it's sick to think like that but the thought crosses my mind often. She was my favorite aunt and I looked forward to seeing her and now family parties are just not the same. (I also hate change) I have tried counseling but stopped going because she was only a few years older than me and I didn't feel like we were getting anywhere. I feel like I need to be medicated but I wish I could just break out of it on my own and not be pumping chemicals into my body. How do you know if there truly is a natural chemical imbalance?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Your case seems rather serious. Your aunt's death seems to have triggered something in you, probably a sense of closeness. Did you speak to the therapist about how you are struggling to get to terms with having her as a councellor? This is useful because she can possibly change her style. Anyway have another go if you can.

About your boyfriend, it seems like he has no idea about the subject, not everybody gets it and thus discard depression as a genuine illness. Perhaps explaining to him what depression is about will help him understand what you are going through.

Let us know more. Thanks

Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustr8ed84 View Post
How do you know if there truly is a natural chemical imbalance?
I'm not aware of any medical test that can determine this. I think though if despite your best efforts you're unable to get out of this slump and there is no reason as to how you got stuck in this slump in the first place, you may have a chemical imbalance.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

I totally agree with you. It took me a LONG time to admit to myself that a chemical inbalance is a disease,a treatable one, but a person CAN be helped if they are willing to accept the treatment and i STRONGLY encourage anyone to take the treatment for it if you need if,its like night and day.Everyone TAKE CARE!!!!

Closed Thread