It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

LVNV HB User
Are there answers other than medication

Five years ago, I lost my husband to suicide. I have felt severe guilt over this because we were separated at the time. I made it through the horrific time following his death and in assisting our children deal with his death in an emotionally healthy way. I got them immediately into counseling and into a children's grief group. I attended GriefShare and also personal counseling and it helped a great deal.

Five years later, I am starting to feel normal, but at the same time, I feel so lost. I'm scared of being alone and I'm scared of taking the risk to find a new partner. I dated a man for almost four years and he turned out to be someone completely different than he represented himself to be. Now, all I want to do is be with my kids, work (well, not that I want to, but I do it), read books, and drink wine in the evenings. I feel scared to engage in any type of relationship or take any kind of risk romantically. I'm fine with being with my friends, but am seriously scarred with men. I feel like I'm depressed because I don't want to do much, but I really don't want medication. What are some other options?

Last edited by LVNV; 12-29-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Are there answers other than medication

Hello LVNV.

I think therapy is an alternative for treating depression. I think while medication can be helpful in treating depression, therapy has a crucial role with helping patients with being able to recognize and stop thought patterns that intensify their depressive symptoms.

I hope you find an alternative that works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
LVNV (01-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: Are there answers other than medication

Hi,
Very sorry to hear about your traumatic past. It is difficult to be part of something that upsetting. Five years on things will change but does not necessarily make things better. Im sure you heard this before but there is a good chance that what happened had nothing to do with you as a person.

The thing though is such an event marks a point in our lives that we use it to start something that is through a different course in life and going back is indeed a step that we would rather not take even though it is something that made us a bit happy. There is a chance you are going through something similar. The only way past it in my opinion is to set a goal on what you want in life, something that you really want and stick to it. In this way you can at least say this is what I want and then see it goes from there.
Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to keenobserver For This Useful Post:
LVNV (01-03-2012)
Closed Thread