It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

Manda2of6 HB User
ADD, anxiety, depression all coincided?

I have basically been battling my own diagnosis of being depressed. Have been very reluctant to seek help thus far, due to uncertainty on whether there is something wrong or whether these are normal phases of life. However, I have some extreme systems of depression, of course in my opinion based on readings and just how I feel daily. How ever, on top of all of these feelings, I am constantly been feeling extremely anxious. I love to sleep a lot during the day, however at night it's near impossible to fall asleep(that's regardless if I sleep during the day or not.) I also feel like if/and when I get the energy to do something, I am easily distracted by anything, and find it near impossible to get back to the task I had been doing.which makes me feel unbearably anxious. Yet, even when I have time to get back to it, I decide it's easier to just say, eh, whatever, I'll do it later. I could go on and on of course but my question is, is it possible to be suffering from multiple disorders, or is it possible I could have one which may cause the others to intervene with that. Another reason I am confused, is obviously I'm not a doctor but I have taken and adderall from a friend,not quite smart, but I asked her for one to see if it would help me get the focus and energy I have been lacking for so very long, because for her it seems to wire her up where she can't even sleep (obv taking for the wrong reasons) however, I felt okay after taking it, but not any boost of energy whatsoever. Could that mean I actually need it, considering I felt normal, or are other factors affecting it. I also took a Xanax, which made me a tiny bit sleepy, but more so I felt relaxed, and happy to get some things done(at least temporarily) and it seemed to mask a tiny bit of the depressed feelings I had been having. Does anyone know if these different things can be related and clustered into one problem? Or should I be focusing on just the depression aspect of it. And if I do focus on the depression and get on medication, will it just mask my issues? I'd hate to have to be dependent on something for life. I want to be able to feel right again knowing it isn't just the meds making me feel or "think" I am normal again. Any input or prior experience would be extremely helpful Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: ADD, anxiety, depression all coincided?

Hello Manda2of6.

Excessive sleeping and lack of motivation/unwillingness to do tasks are possible symptoms of depression I think.

I think different mental problems can feed upon each other. For example lots of stress can intensify depressive or anxiety symptoms. It's possible as you address and fix one problem the intensity of the other symptoms may lessen because you would be breaking the cycle of one disorder fueling another.

Using anti-depressants doesn't have to be a lifelong commitment nor do they give you a false sense of happiness. How long you may need to take anti-depressants I think depends on how many depressive episodes you've had and how intense each episode was. Since I have one depressive episode my doctor recommends I stay with my current medication level for one year before trying to taper off. Even with anti-depressants I still go to therapy and I have to work on trying to reduce my negative thinking. I see anti-depressants as making it easier to manage my depressive symptoms. It doesn't change who I am or how I think. For example, anti-depressants may reduce the burden of getting out of bed in the morning and may restore your interest in your favorite activities. I never have gotten a sudden burst of happiness or have totally forgotten about my depression while taking anti-depressants.

If you do consider trying anti-depressants I think it would be a good idea to talk with your doctor about your concerns and questions first.

Last edited by flamesabers; 03-31-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo

The following user gives a hug of support to flamesabers:
Manda2of6 (04-01-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

My depression also comes together with anxiety, social phobia, and psychosis at times. It's normal to have several mental disorders feeding the others or to have several at the same time.

That is why it is not helpful to just try on approach. Medication needs to be combined with cognitive therapy counsoling, or group therapy and combined with lifestyle changes that your doctor will tell you about whether it's changing your sleeping habits or eating habits or picking up a new hobby, or not drinking and smoking. I really encourage you to seek help from a professional about these things if you can, and not take other people's meds to figure things out yourself, that is very dangerous! You really need a doctor to help you. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellybread For This Useful Post:
Manda2of6 (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

Manda2of6 HB User

First and foremost, thank you! I completely know and realize taking meds before talking to a doc is not the smart choice. It's very difficult for me to pursue the path of "getting better" due to the fact I believe completely that there is nothing I can do to fix the problems I am having. Growing up I saw family counselors for diff reasons than depression. (i.e. moved around a LOT, I went from living with my mother where I had zero rules and boundaries to living in a strict environment with my father, and so on) but they didn't do anything or say anything that I felt would enhance or benefit my life.

My older brother lived with my mom and I and he had some serious issues. Doctors put him on every different type of medication to help. There were never signs of improvement, granted his issues were on a whole different scale. But I have been reluctant to have faith in medication to help me. So let me ask this, those of you who have suffered from depression, what classifies as an "episode"? And how and where did you get the push and strength inside of you to make the first step?

Every bone in my body lacks the motivation to do just about anything... In turn I know that is where a lot of the anxiety and stress comes from. I hate feeling this way everyday! I get anxious thinking about getting on here even. If I feel like there is something that needs to be done, I will procrastinate to the point where I say whatever, I end up not doing it and then I stress myself out that I didn't do it. Have you guys ever had that feeling and if so, how in the world did you fight it?? Do I wait? Will I eventually want it bad enough?

I feel at the point of no return yet I sit around just dwelling on it instead of taking action to try and fix things. I used to be such a strong willed person, I wonder if that's another one of me stresses because I just can't seem to break this rut that I'm in. I can't tell you how much you all have already put a glimmer of hope in my head, but for whatever reason, when I get off of here, I go right back to saying, eh, I'll do it later. Argh, def frustrating!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

AnnS1630 HB User

Manda -- Easily being distracted and not being able to return to the task … all the concentration and anxiety problems could result from normal chaos in making a transition in life, or any of the other things you’ve mentioned. Sleeping irregularities suggest a discussion of your life and concerns with at least a primary care doctor if you see one regularly (geez, how many of us do that anymore … I am so lucky in having the same one for over a decade).

Although it may not mean anything in terms of your problems, let anyone prescribing drugs know what you observed in your trials. Answers to their questions may lead to a best guess immediately … take what you wrote with you … remember you know yourself better than anyone else does.

Patience … with any medical tests ordered … some self care including research on whatever they say, always look up any meds rx’d. Find a therapist (counselor, social worker, mentor, etc.) who mentions whatever phase of life you’re experiencing that makes you wonder about your state of mind. Getting help and helping yourself when nec’y matters.

I never did that, and it hurts now! You can read a hundred books, take meds and get some relief … but making the effort to care and manage issues … discovering helpful coping skills for life’s gray times is winning the lottery. That is easier said than done, realize it’s your life and it is precious!!

I was prescribed Ritalin to help my anti-depressant years ago, and I slept for a day. And now, occasionally … I take Adderall to sleep. Of course I realize now I am a bit ADD – all those books I read … there are distinct patterns of different types of ADD, many which weren’t acknowledged in my ancient education! Geez, dyslexia was “stupid” more times than not back then.

Good luck … observations from others are helpful … different perspectives … I hope things work out! -- Ann

Closed Thread