It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

ms anxiety HB User
can depression be genetic?

i suffer from depression/anxiety/ptsd. my son is now being seen for depression, my daughter suffered from depression (both had comtemplated suicide-which broke my heart )my mom has depression, two nieces are bipolar-one is schizophrenic and had adhd as a child, i was told my oldest sister had schizophrenia,and i believe my great niece/nephew has adhd also. something else that gets me is seven of us suffer from migraines but i dont know if there's a link. i have talked to my therapist many times about the fact that i believe all of this is genetic. but how can a family develop a gene that causes three generations of mental health disorders? can anyone help me out on this?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: can depression be genetic?

Hi,
In my opion, if there is a gene that causes depression, it can definately be overcome by other genes that make people perform their regular tasks without any problem. What happens though from a very young age when people grow up with people suffering from depression is that they end up suffering as well. It is an illness that can pass on through behavioural observation. It can also be that parents pass on this illness by living in a way which makes them vulnerable to setbacks either by sudden setback from a major event or persistent setbacks from a young age.

All I can now to you is to live your life and do the best you can for yourself and all the people who matter to you. Support them, make them comfortable, try to understand the root of their issues and seek alternatives for yourself and them that will make a real impact. If necessary seek professional help. Remember, what matters to you the most is your mental state. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello ms anxiety.

I think genetics can predispose a person for developing depression but that's no guarantee the person will suffer from depression. I consider genetics as a possible factor for depression rather than the sole cause. I think a psychiatrist could provide a detailed answer to your questions.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User

my partner has had severe depression most of her life. two of our daughters have developed depression and i have been told that this was caused by having to deal with their mothers depression,so its unlikely to be genetic,but there are certain types of people that are more likely to suffer from depression and you are likely to be the same type of person as a close relative

Last edited by souriya123; 04-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Closed Thread