It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

Sher_A HB User
How do you feel about clinical trials?

I was just wondering.. how do you all feel about participating in clinical trials. I live in the Orlando area and just about every day in the paper there is an ad looking for volunteers to test one thing or another. My dad died about 3 years ago I'm still depressed over that) and now I'm about to lose my SO to cirrhosis. He's been in the hospice for about a week and he is slowly fading away. I know that anyone who's been through this understands the toll it takes on you.

There has been an ad in the paper looking for people to participate in a study for a new depression medication who have been on the usual meds at one time or anther but don't feel they got much help from them. So I'm thinking of participating. My best friend said she wouldn't do it because it can be dangerous and is trying to talk me out of it. i know it's a study where half the people get a placebo and the rest get the med. Have any of you participated in one of these studies? How do you feel about it? If this is a bad post just delete it.. but I'm really curious for advice before I do something maybe I shouldn't do..

Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: How do you feel about clinical trials?

Hello Sher_A,

I haven't participated in a clinical trial but I would be reluctant to do so as I've found a combo of meds that work for me. The last thing I would want to do is mess everything up and send myself back to square one because of adding a new med to the mix. I would more be willing to participate if the meds I've already tried weren't working for me and if my doctor didn't have any major objections to it.

I know clinical trials are important but I've felt like enough of a guinea pig with the meds already tested on the market. Having to deal with the side-effects and waiting for the med to reach a therapeutic level is bad enough for me; having to also answer a barrage of questions about whether the new med has affected my mood and if I experienced any side-effects would just make things worse for me. And I wouldn't want to have suffer several weeks or more from depression just because I ended up getting a placebo.

I participate in a biobank so I do like to help advance medical research when I can. It's just that when it comes to depression I want to get on the fastest path to recovery and not have to worry about whether I'm taking a placebo or the real thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread