It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

joynoelle2002 HB User
Medicine - Weight Gain - Pregnancy

I have been on a variety of different anti depressants for 6 years and since then I have had a huge amount of weight gain. Most doctors and health places I have been to have told me I am crazy to say that the weight gain is from my anxiety and depression medicine. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

Also my husband and i are looking at somepoint to start a family. Several of my doctors suggested I get off my meds for 3 months before we start trying to clear my system of the meds. I really want to do this, but I am really nervous about the withdrawals and symptoms I will feel. Currently if I miss a dosage I get very naseaus and sick to my stomach. What also makes me nervous is post partnum. I am just nervous that since I already battle with depression and anxiety that I may suffer from this later. Any thoughts on this too? TIA

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Medicine - Weight Gain - Pregnancy

Many, perhaps most, antidepressants and psychiatric medicines can cause weight gain. This is very well known, and I can't imagine why your doctor would tell you differently. May I ask which medicines you have taken?

You can taper off the medicine slowly before trying to get pregnant. Then you can restart it again afterwards. If the medicine passes into breast milk, maybe you don't nurse after starting it. Formula is almost as good, especially if you make a point of holding an cuddling while feeding. Having a mother with untreated depression is not a good thing for a baby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

joynoelle2002 HB User
Re: Medicine - Weight Gain - Pregnancy

I have been on zoloft (made me extremely shaky), effexxor (was on for several years and then stopped being effective), now on Paxil and buspar.

What gets me are people and doctors that say these meds dont cause weight gain. It is just frustrating that I don't even step on the scale anymore, because I just know my clothes dont fit me and this is a contributing factor.

I definitely don't mind doing formula after pregnancy. I know breast milk is the best method, but my client is actually a baby formula company and I trust the products they make. If I get back on the meds after pregnancy do you think that will prevent postpartnum? I know I am probably worrying myself more than necessary, but when the time comes for us to actually do things I want to be prepared both for myself, family, and the baby.

Closed Thread