It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

BlueSapphire HB User
Unhappy Anyone know of Medications that help Depression other than Antidepressants?

If anyone has taken any medication other than antidepressants and had success, or if you know someone who has taken something, please give me information about the medication.

I've had problems with depression off and on all of my life, some years worse, some years better. Unfortunately, it got worse the last few months and I really don't know why.

I've went to doctors and been prescribed antidepressants. Sometimes I needed to switch to a different antidepressant, some helped, some didn't. Over about the past 10 years, the antidepressants don't seem to work at all but instead make me feel worse. Anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes I feel alone with this problem. I've had doctors almost get mad at me for not wanting to take the antidepressants they prescribed for me. It's like they didn't believe me when I told them the medicine made me feel worse. I even took them when they made me feel worse because they told me I had to give it time to work but after a month or a month and a half I eventually had to stop taking them because I couldn't function and handle my daily routines. I was struggling already and feeling worse was crazy! I even tried a new antidepressant last year hoping it would be different but it did the same thing. I got so tired and so depressed and again had to stop taking it.

I've heard of anticonvulsants used for depression. Anyone know anything about this?

The following user gives a hug of support to BlueSapphire:
elmianis (05-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Anyone know of Medications that help Depression other than Antidepressants?

Hello BlueSapphire.

No I haven't heard of anticonvulsants being used to treat depression. The one drug that comes to my mind is Abilify, which is an anti-psychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia but is also used for depression. My doctor suggested Abilify to me once but I didn't want to try it because I don't have schizophrenia.

Out of curosity, have you tried both the SSRI and SNRI classes of antidepressants?

Last edited by flamesabers; 04-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

BlueSapphire HB User

I've tried many types of antidepressants. I've made a list below. I've even tried Provigil and Strattera (not antidepressants). Both helped for a couple years but over time I had to discontinue them because of side effects such as not being able to sleep, anxiety, Strattera also caused hair loss.

Here's a list of the antidepressants:

SSRIs:
Lexapro
Paxil
Prozac
Zoloft

SNRIs:
Cymbalta
Effexor

SARIs:
Desyrel

NDRIs:
Wellbutrin (it made me have bad stomach cramps. I've mentioned to doctors that I would be willing to try this one again but the doctors tell me there are better medicines available now)

TCAs:
Elavil
Tofranil
Pamelor

TeCAs:
Remeron

NRIs:
Strattera

Mood Stabilizers:
Lithium (I took Lithium with Prozac back in 1988 because Prozac use to make me have highs and lows. With the Lithium, I just felt tired so not sure the Prozac with the Lithium was really helping me. At the time, I just took it because that's what my doctor gave me until Zoloft came out.)

My doctor has mentioned Abilify too but I don't like the idea of taking an antidepressant that isn't working and then add a second medicine that is for schizophrenia which I don't have. The side effects with Abilify scare me too.

Have you heard anything about Viibryd?

The following user gives a hug of support to BlueSapphire:
fusionqueen (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

veganway HB Userveganway HB User

I recommend magnesium glycinate 600 mg a day and taurine+B6 for anxiety and depression it works I tried it .

Last edited by veganway; 05-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
(female)

ivy1122 HB User

I have recently switched to ambilify 10 mgs. I also take 60 mgs of paxil. Adderall 30 mg's. I love Ambilify and only have good things to say. no side effect's, and i must say i truly feel a little happier. Adding a stimulate like adderall also will make you a little happier as well. I am bipolar and ambilify also helps with that as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

The only anti-convulsant I've heard of that's used for depression is Lamictal. Many bipolars use it as a mood stabilizer, but I've had friends with regular major depression that have used it with success. Out of the atypical anti-psychotic drugs, Seroquel has anti-depressant qualities, when used in small doses only. (Be advised that these meds can potentially have serious side effects, but then again, so do many of the anti-depressants.) Have you tried any of the older MAO (or is it maoi?) Inhibitors? There are also people who say they get a benefit from fish oil, omega-3, but it doesn't do much for me. P.S. If you are too depressed to exercise, I hear ya, but daily aerobic activity will at least raise your endorphin levels, always a big help. Good luck!

Last edited by TinoRock; 06-19-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: wrong word

Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

LeahFaith HB User

St. Johns Wart <-- worked very well for me.
SAM-e <--- Loved it but gave me bad tummy aches

Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
(male)

magicssd HB Usermagicssd HB Usermagicssd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahFaith View Post
St. Johns Wart <-- worked very well for me.
SAM-e <--- Loved it but gave me bad tummy aches
Just make sure to check with your pharmacist if you decide to take herbal remedies as there are some potentially dangerous drug interactions.

For example, St. John's Wort can actually decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. It also increases the speed that the body breaks down Xanax which reduces it's effectiveness as well.

So....just be careful when using them. Not saying they don't work but use caution.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
(female)

LeahFaith HB User

Side effect of Paxil:
Anxiety; blurred vision; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; gas; increased sweating; increased urination; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; numbness or tingling of the skin; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; weakness; yawning.
SEVERE side effects
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bizarre behavior; black or bloody stools; chest pain; confusion; decreased concentration; decreased coordination; exaggerated reflexes; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, or inability to sit still); persistent or severe ringing in the ears; persistent, painful erection; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent anxiety or trouble sleeping; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; significant weight loss; stomach pain; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual bone pain or unexplained swelling, tenderness, or bruising; unusual bruising or bleeding; ; unusual weakness; vision changes; worsening of depression.

Side effect of St. Johns Wart
trouble sleeping, vivid dreams, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, stomach upset, fatigue, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, skin rash, diarrhea, and tingling.

St. Johns Wort MAY decrees the effectiveness of BC but there is no solid evidence (I just looked it up cause I took it for so long and never got pregnant even though I like to have lots of sex

Closed Thread