It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

haileenicole18 HB User
Question Depressed and anxious when thinking about work

Hi all,
I have been overly depressed and anxious when i think about working. I work at a grocery store and i am a cashier there and i do like alot of the people i work with but i have anxiety that is on and off and now it seems like its coming back. I cannot make any decisions on what i am going to do and it upsets me even more. I feel like i will be a loner if i were to quit my job. I did recently start this job and feel bad for even applying in the first place but i thought i could finally face my fear of people. Everyone says i should go to work one more week and see how it is but i just feel why should i if my mind is telling me this is not a place where i want to be? I used to work for customer service always on the phone no face to face experiences with people and had no problems at all so what do you suggest i do?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Depressed and anxious when thinking about work

Hello haileenicole18.

Could you switch to a work shift that tends to have fewer customers around? If so I think that would be a good way to gradually overcome your fear of people without the process being too overwhelming.

Another idea would be to talk to a therapist about developing ways to cope with your fear of people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: Depressed and anxious when thinking about work

Hi,
As mentioned in the previous thread you should try to seek a time where there will be less people around. At least you will be able to meet less crowded people at once.

Another option for you is to do what you want to do. If your mind is telling you that this is not the place for you then its probably useful for you to start looking for jobs that suit your requirments.
If the call centre option is not available for you at the moment, think of each customer as someone you are dealing with on a one to one basis. Take each customer as they come along. It will take time but eventually youl notice that you can understand much more of the customer just by seeing their facial expressions. If it ever gets uncomfortable, seek the other staff members and ask them for their advise/help.
Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, work