It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

rexel12345 HB User
Is this depression?

Basically i haven't been feeling myself at all the last few months, been scouring the internet for my symptoms, and been to the doctors to get tested for anemia but it turned out negative. Its now got the point where my friends are telling me i'm not acting like i used to and some think i am loosing my mind a bit.

I currently feel unmotivated, energyless, constantly tired and i really can't withhold anything in my memory for long despite being in my last year at one of the top schools in the UK. I'm constantly in a **** mood, snap very easily and recently seemed to have lost interest in everything in my life. I used to play many sports, and go to the gym regularly. I now play no sport at all, last went to the gym over 4 months ago and all i ever want to do is lay in my bed alone.

I also seem to have no interest in having sex, and the last two times i've had a girl naked in bed i haven't been able to get it up which has led to me doubting my sexuality, but i don't want to be gay which is making me feel worse.

I drink to excess most weekends but have recently stopped this as i have big exams coming up although i cant do any work towards them because i feel my head is too screwed up. I often lay down and think to myself what is the point in life.....i have to work my *** off at the weekends just to pay for petrol to get to school and back each week, which i hate anyway....i don't see anything good currently in my life.

I read somewhere that smoking weed can lead to depression. I am very anti drugs, however a few months ago i did smoke a few joints over the period of a few weeks, but haven't touched it since as during the time i felt like it was doing something to my head that i didn't like.

Does it sound like i am depressed to anyone? and should i go see a doctor or are all these things normal for someone my age (18) and if i leave it, these feelings will simply pass over?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Is this depression?

Welcome to the board. It certainly sounds as if you are pretty down at the moment. Good for you that you had a checkup and ruled out anemia (and hopefully other things, like chronic fatigue or mononucleosis). Barring a physical cause, then depression is a fair bet. It is up to you whether you seek medical remedies or counselling for this. Although depression can be a chemical imbalance, in my experience there is often a trigger or circumstance that sets it off and counselling can help you to recognise and deal with your triggers. Medication will treat the symptoms. Hope this is helpful. Sera

Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User
Re: Is this depression?

Hi rexel12345,

I was 18 when i started to feel like you have mentioned im now 21. I still get

I
Quote:
currently feel unmotivated, energyless, constantly tired and i really can't withhold anything in my memory for long
Im currently taking anti-depressants it doesnt stop any of the above, but everything else the feelings you have mentioned. It helps so much, it really was life changing in some ways starting them.

It good your aware of the changes because it means you can do something about them before they get worse. From what you have put it does sound like you have some degree of depression. Like Seraph has said
Quote:
Although depression can be a chemical imbalance, in my experience there is often a trigger or circumstance that sets it off
events in your life can get it off, you have said you have big exams coming up which could be the cause or they could just be making it alot worse. Speaking to someone even if its just a friend you trust may make you feel better.

You should try and start to exercise again even if you go for a small walk with a friend because exercise makes a massive difference if you are suffering with depression, you wont feel like it or really want to go but do it for a week and you will feel the difference, you just feel alittle happier. Try not to shut your self away the more you close people of the worse it will become.

Yes drugs including weed can cause depression but this is normally from long term use and not from one or two. But its good you have stopped.

If you want to chat about anything feel free to comment below and ill reply.

Dan

The following user gives a hug of support to Diverdan8:
elmianis (05-02-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
depression, energy, weed