It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

K117 HB User
I think I have depression and have no idea what to do.

I am a 19 yo female.
For a while now, I have felt sad and find myself crying/tearing up over for no reason.
I am always tired and everything irritates me. I am normally a passive person, but lately I have been angry, irritable and aggressive.
I have no motivation what so ever and I just feel numb alot of the time.
Getting out of bed is a daily struggle, yet falling asleep is hard.
I only want to go out when alcohol, marijuana or any mood altering substance is involved.

The other week on my birthday my parents had cooked dinner and had presents waiting for me in the dining room, and I couldn't bring myself to go in there and I had no idea why. I started crying and freaking out and it took my parents 10 minutes to calm me down.

Is that an anxiety attack?

I am to embarrassed to tell me parents or talk to my GP.

I was just wondering how you tell your GP? Do they then refer you to someone else?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: I think I have depression and have no idea what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K117 View Post
Is that an anxiety attack?

I am to embarrassed to tell me parents or talk to my GP.

I was just wondering how you tell your GP? Do they then refer you to someone else?
Hello K117.

What happened at your birthday dinner sounds like an anxiety had. Have you experienced this before?

I suggest talking to your GP by telling them the symptoms you've been experiencing such as lack of energy, difficulty with sleeping and frequently upset and crying for no reason. Your GP may first want to do some bloodwork to rule out the possibility something other than depression is causing your symptoms.

I think feeling embarrassed to talk to your GP about your depressive symptoms is very common. Something that has helped me get through this obstacle is viewing my depressive symptoms as a physical problem rather than a character flaw or failure on my part.

I think it depends on the GP as to whether they'll refer you to someone else. I highly doubt they'll refer you to a psychiatrist after your first visit, but they may suggest you talk to a therapist or if your hospital has it, group therapy for people suffering from depression.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

jogee322 HB User

Hi!
I have had anxiety/depression for years now and I still don't like talking about it. But you really need to if you want to feel better. I know from my personal experience pms made it all worse. It might be helpful to start w/ a journal of your mood and if there are any triggers. I also found talk therapy helped alot. It helped me figure out where my feelings stemmed from and how to deal with them better.
I wish you well.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
(male)

Robinson123 HB User

I just recommend you whenever you feel like that just try to calm yourself by going in some open area and take a long breath.Just start doing mediation and yoga practice.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
(male)

Chinokix HB UserChinokix HB User

I treated my mental illness for the longest time with drugs and alcohol. Trust me that only leads to more problems. It was only after I told my GP about my symptoms that he refered me to someone who could really help me. I'll be honest there are days I still struggle but, it is way better than what it was like. In a way my GP saved my life and he did not judge me when I told him in anyway. If you don't feel comfortable with your GP try just setting up an appointment with a counselor, then they can refer you to a psychiatrist if necessary. This doesn't sound like you want to let this go untreated.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
(male)

JBrynn HB User

For whatever it's worth, the Best think I ever did for my Depression was having that first conversation with my GP. It was hard and I was in tears the entire time, but it did open the door for the treatment that I desperately needed.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression