HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Trying to get help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/899935-trying-get-help.html)

srivera 05-07-2012 01:00 PM

Trying to get help

So, I have known now for awhile I have been depressed. According to the little quizzes online I have taken, I am severely depressed or major depression. Didn't come as a big surprise to me. The other night I finally let my wife in, she had suspected I was getting worse and worse, which I was/am. So I decided that I needed help before it got beyond the point of just thinking about suicide to the act itself.

I have called 10 offices trying to be seen. Nine of the places either do not accept my insurance (2) or are not taking new patients (7). One of the ones not taking new patients I got fed up with. I asked the lady on the phone if she had any tips for getting in with a doctor. I asked her "Short of trying to kill myself or checking myself into a facility for 72 hours what options do I have." Her oh so helpful response was "well a lot of the hospitals are turning away depression patients so you can not rely on checking yourself in." Oh fantastic. According to this lady, I have to kill myself to get help. Thanks.

I finally got a hold of one accepting new patients, and took my insurance. I actually felt a glimmer of hope. Then came the "Ok our next new patient appointment is August 14th." Yet another blow to an already unstable state of mind.

Do these people have no compassion or desire to help those seeking help before it is too late?

flamesabers 05-07-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Trying to get help

[QUOTE=srivera;4975538]Do these people have no compassion or desire to help those seeking help before it is too late?[/QUOTE]

Hello srivera.

I can really relate to your situation and I've wondered the same thing myself. I think it really depends on who you're talking to. As frustrating as it is, the next person you call may be much more compassionate and helpful. In my experience, some people really go the extra mile to help me while others treat me more like a number in the database.

Are you trying to see a psychiatrist or a GP? If it's the former, I would expect the wait list to be much shorter for a GP. Something else you could try is asking them to call you if someone cancels and there's a time you could come in sooner than August 14th. You could even call once a week to check to see if there are any new openings available.

Have you called your insurance company about places you can to in your area?

srivera 05-07-2012 10:03 PM

I am trying to see a psychiatrist. I don't want to involve my GP right now. I have to pass a full health physical for school, and I am not sure how that would affect it. I found one that could get me in on the 31st of this month but that seems like an eternity. I am on their cancellation list, however, so maybe I will hear something sooner rather than have to wait the nearly 4 weeks.

We had a gun in the house, and tonight I went and picked up a lock for it so I could secure it and give the keys to my wife to hide or keep with her. However, when I came home, and went to get it from the safe, it was gone. She had called my brother to come get it.

The issue is, he called me Friday night, the day after my wife and I talked, to see if I wanted to come over to his house for a bit on Saturday. All the while he and my wife had already talked about getting the gun from our house without me knowing. I know they are trying to help and keep me safe, but now the talk and the outreach I had with him has been jaded. He used the guise that he was a little depressed and wanted us to hang out more. This got me to open up to him about my issues. Now it just feels coerced. Like it was all planned. I am trying very hard not to get angry right now, but it is hard not to when feeling a little betrayed.

flamesabers 05-07-2012 10:21 PM

I hope whatever you decide on works out for you. I decided on seeing my GP for my depression as I didn't want to wait weeks or months for treatment.