It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
SSRI's and Melatonin...?

I've always been a "night owl", going to sleep at 3 or 4, even 5 in the morning and not waking up until 12-2pm. I finally got on a "normal" schedule, I was going to sleep at 12, even 1, and getting up at 8 or 9... just because I wanted to... it was great to have a "morning". Now back to going to sleep really late, and I was thinking about melatonin, but I'm on cymbalta and read things about interactions with the two. Otherwise I'm just taking some benadryl but that doesn't really give me a good night sleep.

Last edited by JB68711; 06-15-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: SSRI's and Melatonin...?

Hello JB68711.

Do you think changing the time you take the cymbalta may help with your sleeping patterns? Have you always had this problem while on cymbalta or is it fairly new? The other thing I can think of asking your doctor for advice on this matter. If nothing else works, you may have to switch to a different SSRI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

flutterby1982 HB User

Ya, sounds like you need to talk to your pdoc about adding something to help sleep, or switching meds. Melatonin is a great natural supplement, HOWEVER it is NOT GOOD to take with an AD. Please talk to a doctor before you do. Hope you can get a good nights rest soon! Try a nice hot bath, and glass of milk, or chamamille tea

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

gftodepressed HB User

My boyfriend dealt with this for years and finally found a terrific sleep doctor that was able to get him back on track. The condition is called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS) and the following things worked for him. First he did chronotherapy, which is basically going to bed four hours later every day for a week until you are on the right schedule (his schedule is wake up at 6:30AM and go to bed at 10:30PM). Once he was on that schedule he was instructed to take 1mg of Melatonin every night at 8:30PM and to sit in front of a lightbox that is 10,000 lux every morning for 30 minutes (from 7:00 - 7:30). He was also prescribed Wellbutrin which has really helped keep him on this schedule and took the edge off the stress he felt at night when he was afraid that maybe he wouldn't be able to get up in time for an early appointment the next morning. He's been able to maintain this new schedule since November which is a miracle because he used to be a total night owl, sometimes not waking up until I was getting home from work at like 4:00PM! I hope that helps!!!

Closed Thread