It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

thatguyy HB User
Am I depressed?

I'm 17 years old, just graduated high school and just made this account because I desperately need feedback. I feel chronically bored everyday, there is nothing at all I want to do. I feel like I don't even know who I am because I had very few interests before now, but even they don't appeal to me. Throughout my life I have been something of a neurotic worrier, and the more I worry about my boredom and lack of passion in life lately the more the anxiety swells up and my neck and upper back get tense and sore. I manage to distract myself sometimes, but I can't focus on anything for very long and there is always an underlying empty feeling. People who I talk to say that I'm just anxious about entering adulthood and I still have all the time in the world to find my passion in life but part of me fears that I never will because I have never been "passionate" about anything really. I feel a little better when I am with friends or when I somehow manage to distract myself but the longer I am alone the worse I feel. I certainly feel depressed right now but I need to know from someone who has been through something similar, is this depression? (this has been going on for a few weeks now)

Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
(male)

JBrynn HB User
Re: Am I depressed?

All I can really say is that when I finally spoke to my primary care doc and told her I thought I was depressed, her response was "if you think you are depressed, then you probably are."

I went on to describe in graphic detail how I nearly ended my life the previous day. She made me promise to go straight to the hospital. My wife drove me there and I checked myself in. I was in tears when they confiscated my shoelaces and my belt so I couldn't hurt myself.

It was a terrifying experience but it got me the urgent care that I needed and set me on a course of treatment that continues to this day.

What I guess I'm saying is that if you think you are depressed, go talk to your doctor and let him/her know how you are feeling, and do it before it's too late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello thatguyy.

I think your symptoms could very well be caused by depression. I suggest talking to a therapist or doctor to get a more definite answer and to see what treatment options you would like to pursue.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
(female)

beachlove12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrynn View Post
All I can really say is that when I finally spoke to my primary care doc and told her I thought I was depressed, her response was "if you think you are depressed, then you probably are."

I went on to describe in graphic detail how I nearly ended my life the previous day. She made me promise to go straight to the hospital. My wife drove me there and I checked myself in. I was in tears when they confiscated my shoelaces and my belt so I couldn't hurt myself.

It was a terrifying experience but it got me the urgent care that I needed and set me on a course of treatment that continues to this day.

What I guess I'm saying is that if you think you are depressed, go talk to your doctor and let him/her know how you are feeling, and do it before it's too late.
@JBrynn, Congratulations on your recovery, well done. Just wondering what your treatment is (medication, CBT) and how effective it is? Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
(male)

mattew HB User
Smile Re: Am I depressed?

I was graduated last year and I felt depress either, I felt tired, and bored, I understand your feeling. maybe I can give some advice for you, talk to someone you trust face to face, hung out with your old friends, john some activities, maybe is swimming or get a job, something that you can make new friends

I know it feels confusing and worry for being nearly adult, but its alright,don't fear to grow up, trust yourself, you will be fine

my advice for you is keep contect your old friend, because if people go apart longer, people will know less eac other, I am a oversea student, I undestood that

all you need is family and friends, people who could help you get though this hard time with you, sharing the feeling to each other

wish it can help you

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

OhanaMom HB User

you may have dysthymia it is a mild depression, and you might even have a little bit of health anxiety. Having some anxiety in life is good, it naturally makes you nervous and want to do good, and be good and be proud of you self. the Dysthymia is something you can fix by talking to your primary care physician, they'll usually prescribe a anti-depression of some sort and it is a good idea to ask them if they have like a youth counselor or someone to put you in touch with that way you can get over the bumpy road faster. (it is PROVEN that Anti-depressiants in CONJUNCTION with talk therapy IS MORE effective than anti-depressants alone. )

(Definition By Mayo Clinic staff Dysthymia is a mild, but chronic, form of depression. Dysthymia (dis-THI-me-uh) symptoms usually last for at least two years, and often for much longer than that. Although dysthymia symptoms may be less intense than those of depression, dysthymia can actually affect your life more seriously because it lasts for so long. With dysthymia, you may lose interest in normal daily activities, feel hopeless, lack productivity and have a low self-esteem. People with dysthymia are often thought of as being overly critical, constantly complaining and incapable of having fun.)

Old 07-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Jessica415 HB User

With everything that you're going through, it sounds as though you probably are depressed. Just as I was entering into college, I was terrified and scared about everything, even having a roommate... I would barely leave my room except to go to class and I even had to motivate myself to do that every morning. I was an art major and I would go out in the middle of the night and I mean it was the dead of night when no one else was awake and visit the art studio to complete my work.

When my depression grew worse to the point that I couldn't make it to my classes anymore, I knew something had to be done. Like you though, the more I stressed about it, the worse it got. I ended up speaking with my college counselor who got me pointed in the right direction finally and told me that I needed to see a psychiatrist. At the time, I didn't think I needed one so put it off but it turned out I really did need one. When I finally found the strength to see one, I did and I finally got the help I desperately needed.

I hope you consider going to see one soon too, you sound like you could at least use a good person to talk to.
Good luck dear!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, boredom, depression