It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
(female)

lipse HB User
Doctor said I should see a psychologist but...

I have a lot of anxiety that prevents me to talk about my feelings in front of others even in a secure environment. Even talking normally is hard for me.. seeing a psychologist would be my worst nightmare. My doctor is really nice but she is really insistent that I see a psychologist but I really don't want to because I can't keep my emotions in check when I'm confronted about my feelings. She told me the second option is medication.

I would really prefer to have that instead but I don't know how to decline the offer of seeing a psychologist. I'm a socially awkward penguin at heart :\ Can someone give me an outline of what to say? I get really nervous and feel like bursting into tears every time i talk with her because I've never had these types of conversations before. Thanks in advance.

I'm 17.

The following user gives a hug of support to lipse:
Phoenix (08-18-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Doctor said I should see a psychologist but..

Hello lipse.

I think seeing a psychologist is a good idea. Medication may help reduce your anxiety, but it won't change the thinking patterns that contribute to your anxiety. Therapy can help you learn ways to cope with your anxiety. Even though talking to a psychologist is your worst nightmare, psychologists know people may be real reluctant or nervous about sharing their innermost thoughts and feelings. I think a good psychologist will listen to you, respect you and work with you at a level you feel comfortable at.

As far as talking to your doctor, I suppose you could tell her you don't feel comfortable talking to a psychologist. If she wants to know why, I think you could tell her the reasons you gave her: talking normally is hard and you're not able to keep your emotions in check when you have to talk about your feelings. However, if you do decide you want to change from being socially awkward, I think seeing a psychologist is a good first step. I think once you make the first step, you'll be relieved to be on the way to becoming more comfortable in social settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
tingles (08-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
(male)

mobitsfa HB User

I think you should try the psychologist out. I used to be like that too, and would never even go to a psychologist or doctor in the first place. My parents made me go after a tragic event, and I couldn't even talk at all i just sat there the whole time and responded with vague answers or a yes or no. When i finally started talking, i'd just cry or start talking and forget what I was going to say and stay quite. It got better over time, and I can actually talk to people now if I'm in the mood to. Something amazing happened too, I used to get panic attacks when talking to people and just any random moment. Well, I havn't had a single panic attack in a few years now. I can't even remember the last one I had, and it's because I was seeing my psychologist and talking about my problems that I always used to bottle up.

Just try it out, and try to stick with it for a little while. If you don't feel like you're making any progress after a few meetings, then keep trying or you can stop seeing the psychologist. I'm a junkie at heart and have serious problems with drugs, so I didn't want any medication. I knew I'd get xanax or valium and just go crazy with them, so I chose to see the psych.

You also need to find a good caring psychologist! Not all are equal. Find someone that you feel comfortable with and you think pays attention to you and really wants to help you out. I've been to some that just ate candy bars the whole time I talked and just seemed rude.

Last edited by mobitsfa; 08-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello lipse

You might benefit from both medication and cognitive therapy.
The meds will help you with the anxiety,so it would be easier to express yourself to the therapist.
Just something to think about discussing with your doctor.

Wishing you the best,sincerely.
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, psychologist, therapy